Katy Perry - Witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew.

Staff member
He/Him
I think my main complaint is instead of having a transcendental middle-8 (which they could have done with that production), Skip feels more like a placeholder than a triumph.

Yeah, I officially love this.

It's got enough bite and sarcasm to help me overlook the more clunky chorus. I think it adds to the 'whole package' of the song that it was produced by some of musics biggest names, and co-written by musics hottest writer, as huge mega hits usually are... but is also about the fact that we mindlessly consume music within our own spheres of influence to escape whats really going on in the world, and that Katy Perry herself has always been that escape for many, providing mindless party bops to pacify and numb us. Its got sort of a Trojan horse feeling to it all. I'm not sure if its executed to perfection here, but I love that she's giving it a shot and I anticipate there will be much more substantial songs on the album that follow this narrative.

I mean, it probably doesn't need this much thought, it is a Katy Perry song after all, but I bop.

I couldn't put my finger on the exact reason the chorus melody and lyrics irked me until I saw someone elsewhere mention her having bad "scansion" and that cleared it up for me what I was witnessing. The chorus lyric is clunky and awkward because the way she sings it doesn't flow naturally with the rhythm of the melody. You 're expecting it to go a certain way and it doesn't at all and it's jarring, because the emphasis is in the wrong spot. I'm talking specifically about the disco show (?) and wasted zombie bits, but the whole chorus feels like it's a patchwork of pieces that don't have the stresses in the right place.
Perfect post. This is exactly the problem with the chorus.

he/him
Finding it kinda boring and uninspired on first listen, and I can understand the Cheap Thrills comparisons.

I agree with the Lily Allen comparisons. I don't think it necessarily *sounds* like her, but I think it was definitely what I was expecting from Lily's lead single (get on with it, luv).

It reminds me of songs like LDN -- catchy & upbeat on the surface, with a much darker lyric purposely tucked within the beat.

I couldn't put my finger on the exact reason the chorus melody and lyrics irked me until I saw someone elsewhere mention her having bad "scansion" and that cleared it up for me what I was witnessing. The chorus lyric is clunky and awkward because the way she sings it doesn't flow naturally with the rhythm of the melody. You 're expecting it to go a certain way and it doesn't at all and it's jarring, because the emphasis is in the wrong spot. I'm talking specifically about the disco show (?) and wasted zombie bits, but the whole chorus feels like it's a patchwork of pieces that don't have the stresses in the right place.
Yeah, this makes sense.

The "disco show" line feels like it should end in a "shun/tion" sound and the "zombie" line is a syllable too long. It's really bizarre from a songwriting perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.