Katy Perry - "Woman’s World" + 143 (Sep 20)

We need more people like her (musicians + pop stars) to call her out.

Wel, there are clearly so much money in this campaign and the train left the station... How could she put on hold it all ? How can she withdraw it ? It's just a lose-lose situation: she loses if she keeps on, she loses if she stops. I may be wrong and the new album is the ROL of the 20s, but what she "leaked" yesterday didn't scream masterpiece, at all.

Wel, there are clearly so much money in this campaign and the train left the station... How could she put on hold it all ? How can she withdraw it ? It's just a lose-lose situation: she loses if she keeps on, she loses if she stops. I may be wrong and the new album is the ROL of the 20s, but what she "leaked" yesterday didn't scream masterpiece, at all.

If she cancelled the first single and scrapped it from the album she would definitely get more press that will eventually sell the album.

Even if that meant a push back.

he/him
The vinyl is more than likely already pressed and sitting in a warehouse dd. There’s no turning this ship around. And I’m sure she was well aware of the potential repercussions of her choice of collaborator. This is the same woman who distanced herself from him publicly and kept him off her last two albums because she didn’t want the backlash. She just thought that since the case was settled and he was working with other artists that she could get away with it. But the problem is that the music doesn’t sound good enough, so it’s only gonna highlight how she did all this just to achieve mediocre results.

He/Him
The vinyl is more than likely already pressed and sitting in a warehouse dd. There’s no turning this ship around. And I’m sure she was well aware of the potential repercussions of her choice of collaborator. This is the same woman who distanced herself from him publicly and kept him off her last two albums because she didn’t want the backlash. She just thought that since the case was settled and he was working with other artists that she could get away with it. But the problem is that the music doesn’t sound good enough, so it’s only gonna highlight how she did all this just to achieve mediocre results.

The real issue isn’t the quality of the music, it’s her lack of morals.

I literally do not care how good the music is, you don’t work with someone like him knowing his history.

he/him
The real issue isn’t the quality of the music, it’s her lack of morals.

I literally do not care how good the music is, you don’t work with someone like him knowing his history.

I mean, yeah. But also more people are willing to overlook these things if the music doesn’t suck. That’s the reality. She’s mostly getting clowned on Twitter because what she played doesn’t sound good, not because Luke produced it.

She/Her
This is the same woman who distanced herself from him publicly and kept him off her last two albums because she didn’t want the backlash. She just thought that since the case was settled and he was working with other artists that she could get away with it.
This is the exact thing that doesn’t sit well with me. Don’t forget she DELIBERATELY not work with him for TWO albums and then apparently felt the need to revisit the past. She was also publicly supporting Kesha during the Witness World Wide era.

She’s trash and she’s fake, sorry. I was all for her during Witness era (went to the concert, bought the vinyl AND CD) cause I was starting to see some honesty and vulnerability that era.

This was the same woman who said Gaga’s Judas video was blasphemous (tweeted it) and then became “friends” with her again. And then there’s that thing with Taylor.

Yes, people can work it out in the remix but she has shown who she is so many times. Believe it.

I hope this entire campaign sells even less than Smile so it’d teach her a lesson.

Last edited:
While I believe better music could have made a difference, I think that collaborating with Dr. Luke again was never going to work for Katy. Given her contemporaneity with Kesha and the frequent media association between them during Kesha's legal battles, it was always going to be problematic. Katy had already chosen not to work with him on her last two albums, unlike a younger, newer artist who might not have the same context. This collaboration was destined to fail.

What baffles me most is the decision to have him work on a women's empowerment song. The stupidity there is truly alarming, even for her.

matthew.

Staff member
He/Him
Ooooh weeeee this thread has been a trip! I haven't found the strength to muster any posts but I have been watching from afar and goodness the number of reports have kept me coming back!

This has been a true michael_jackson_eating_popcorn.gif retro moment of Witness whatever. As a full-time part-time Katy Cat everything is just... shambles. I can understand the why of her crawling back to Dr. Puke. Its who she has attained her greatest successes with. I don't understand the what of what the fuck is she thinking? The connotations? The history? Dr. Luke's proven sociopathy? Overall it... greatly depresses me because I felt a wee bit of a sea change around the opinion of her and her career in the past two years or so and it felt that the geepee were ready to embrace her again and know she's making headlines not for a stellar comeback single but for working with a rapist. Woof.

The greatest irony is she doesn't need Puke. 'Never Really Over', 'Bon Appetite', 'Hummingbird Heartbeat', 'Cry About It Later', 'Walking On Air', 'If U Can Afford Me' are all stellar songs from all of her albums without Luke. Yes I know that the assaulter's ghost team can make a bop but at what cost really? I know, I know, she will have people like my mother who still listen to the radio and know nothing of the history surrounding Luke. But the people who actually and violently consume pop music like myself, good lord is this bleak!

I don't even know how I'm going to approach this. I want to support Katy and I want her to show the haters!!! But not like this! This feels like a full retreat to Teenage Dream but instead of puffy pink clouds its a sad grey wet cloud. Its mortifying for all parties involved, absolutely mortifying.

The snippets sounded...about like I'd expect. I don't think they'd be eliciting such strong reactions on their own if people weren't aware of the production credits, but inversely they also weren't strong enough for notes on their own merits.

I don't know. I've mostly stayed out of the conversation because there are already plenty of redundant posts in here, but I've stayed morbidly curious how this is a bit of an inflection point for multiple things: the obvious nefarious side of L*ke finding a mainstream in, but also whether the internet conversation around this will actually translate to the GP reception and whether Katy's a big enough artist to succeed commercially in spite of the bad taste left with a lot of us more in the weeds of the details here. It's interesting as a fan of pop music on a broader scale to see the pop star who has a less reliable stan base trying to leverage a way forward at this point in her career. While I am willing this to fail for bigger reasons like most everyone here, I think there's also plenty of conflating online discourse for actual tangible impact on this. Basically, I feel like this is a litmus test for how much internet stan communities actually affect commercial reception on a broader scale. Buckle up girls.