Keep On Ratin': The SM Girls VS Rate (WINNER REVEALED!) | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

Keep On Ratin': The SM Girls VS Rate (WINNER REVEALED!)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by ajmkv, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Which SM girl will emerge victorious?

1. Luna

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Taeyeon

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Tiffany

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Amber

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Seohyun

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. One of the other ones~

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Eric Nam

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  8. Jessica

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Unnies, oppas...

Welcome to the finale of SM's Next Top (Solo) Girl!

Luna, Seohyun, Tiffany... who will it be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which means that...

Seohyunnie.
    You're the biggest surprise of this rate,
    Killing it in the first half.
    Though you fell short at the very end,
    You're still the sweetest girl in the whole rate.
    I will miss you.
    KPJ will miss you.
    But now, it's your time to go.
    Go say goodbye to the other girls.

[​IMG]
    >> I've cried so much during this competition but I'm not going to cry anymore. I am nothing but grateful! I leave this rate knowing that I'm talented and people love me. I'm no longer the baby people thought I was! I proved to myself and others that I can do my own thing... and that's all I need. Good luck, girls! Saranghaeyo! ㅋㅋㅋ <<

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    TWO GIRLS ARE LEFT.
    WILL LUNA TAKE IT ALL? OR WILL TIFFANY SNATCH THE CROWN?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. Well, it seems like you've said no to Seohyun...

Heathens.

[​IMG]

Seohyun - Don't Say No

Average: 8.58
    High Score: 11 (ME AND I'M MAD)
    10 x 4 (@eccentricsimply , @Slice of Life , @Shockbox , @Squashua )
    Low Score: 6 (@Cotton Park )
    My score: 11

Well, Seohyunnie has lasted this long, and that's definitely commendable. Don't Say No is my favorite song in this whole rate, so I'm happy to see it so high up in the ranks. I would have liked to have seen it win, but honestly I expected it to flop out before the Top 10, so this is a pleasant surprise. Am I still mad at y'all unnies for eliminating my favorite song? Nah, it's OK. You showed this song more love than SK did, at least - it charted in the Top 30 there. However, it did win a music show award, and it has more than 10 million views on YouTube, so it was a pretty great solo debut for our favorite maknae. Claps all around!

[​IMG]

Don't Say No is a fantastic debut from Seohyun. I've said this before, but I'm very proud of her for releasing a song and a mini of excellent, almost impeccable quality. If someone had told me five years ago that the innocent maknae of SNSD would come out with something so catchy and yet so mature at the same time, I wouldn't have believed it, but Seohyun really has grown up and come out of her shell in the last few years. Don't Say No, both the song and the album, are the ultimate proof of this, as they are classy, well-produced, mature, but also catchy and fun. Seohyun has released a lead single that puts many others to shame. If it wasn't for the fact that SM has actually given many other solo singers great singles, this would probably be the best. Nevertheless, Seohyun has joined the ranks of great girl-group members to have gone solo and absolutely killed it. On a scale of Irreversible to Shake That Brass, Seohyun is definitely in the upper tier of quality.

And why is that? Though this song is the only one on the album that wasn't written by Seohyun herself (a feat impressive not just for any idol in Korea, but also for any singer in today's music scene, period), she still makes it her own. I think it was a good move from SM to make this sound very Western (yes, we can bring in the Ariana comparisons if you'd like), as this is very accessible to people who aren't fans of K-Pop. We can talk about the excellent production in the song, the fantastic visuals, and the amazing vocals, but honestly this song is very nearly perfect through and through. The best thing about it is that it sounds very current but also sounds exactly like what a Seohyun solo style song would be, and that is precisely what I wanted from her. Not a song that would necessarily sell (though that would have been very nice), but one that would really show the world who she is, musically, outside of SNSD. And she succeeded.

I should mention what my favorite musical bits are, but honestly I can't choose. The strong piano at the beginning and throughout, the finger snaps to keep the beat, Seohyun's crystal clear and powerful vocals, the snare during the chorus, the way that the chorus smashes in and truly delivers an explosion of aural joy... or maybe the post-chorus synths, the chants surrounded by cheering noises in the middle-8, and then the magnificent high notes and ad-libs in the last chorus which turn into the ridiculously beautiful vocal runs in the outro layered on top of the "Baby don't say no" refrain... ugh, EVERYTHING about this song is magnificent. I love it all. Seohyun has well and truly turned me into a believer with this song.

[​IMG]
    How can one say no to her?

And on top of all that, the visuals and the story in the MV are A-Plus. I adore the aesthetic that the Seo-lo era has brought us, with all of the inspired and sleek fashion choices and sexy moves. She truly transforms into something else, something not really appreciated in SNSD, and I am a huge fan. In the video, she also basically murders her boyfriend and sticks him into the fridge... hey, a girl's gotta eat, right? I love that creepy storyline, and I also love all of the amazing dancing, especially the bits at the beginning of the chorus when she fluidly moves her arms right in sync with the explosion into the chorus, and also when she and her dancers do the "human centipide" formation:

[​IMG]

In fact, let's take a peek at some other gifs of the video because I could never do it justice just by describing them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love it. I love it ALL. I could honestly talk for hours about how much I adore this video, this song, this GIRL, but I think I'll switch over to you, my faithful unnies, to talk a little bit about how this song makes you feel. Let's start with the negatives (though there weren't many negative things said about this song~), and on the "meh" team we have send photo: "There’s some interesting moments in the production. Not particularly captivating aside from that." Reboot is a huge fan of the lewks but maybe not so much of the song: "If I had to rate this based on the video – and Seohyun’s outfits - alone, it’d be a 10. Can I give 0.1 extra for her red dress? I’m going to give 0.1 extra for her red dress." Iconic Red Dress snatching an extra 0.1 that, no lie, probably actually helped it beat Talk... (remember that talk was only 0.04 behind Don't Say No) so thank lord for the Red Dress! Kekeke~ Anyway, He is on board with this: "Surprised by this, quite nice, actually. Go maknae!" and ex-villain Sanctuary is actually generous for once!: "BOP!! Come through SM acts essentially acting as Ariana Grande tribute bands, yas." Seohyun, are you mad that you're being compared to Ariana so much?...

[​IMG]
    But with success like this, she ain't bothered~

Shockbox agrees that this deserved better from the general public and once again expresses love for Seohyunnie: "I love that Seohyun went for a more R&B sound. It suits her so much and she totally kills this live. It deserved so much better than a paltry top 30 position on the charts." Our dear Squashua brings out another piece of commentary that's exactly as flawless as this song: "This might be a bit copy & paste from the January KPJ charts but I feel exactly the same. Seohyunnie Grande lull me into a body-roll surrender with your sass & giant floppy hat of doom. Considering Ariana's success in the Asian market i'm shocked it's taken this long for someone to take up the vocal mantle and deliver us this 80's inflected r'n'b soul-sister groover. Even the video has warmed on me from the messy mid 00's fashion decisions to the random black widow storyline but the song forgives all. When's your Love Me Harder boo? Heck I'll take an Into You or a Side to Side too if ya fancy... *goes back to playing the middle 8 cheerleader chant on an infinite loop.*" Oooh, I see we disagreed about the fashion and the storyline...? Who would have thought? Kekeke~

[​IMG]

And finally, our sweetest Slice of Paradise, Slice of Life, brings out another beautiful ode to one of her favorite songs and I agree with everything: "One thing that I really appreciate about SM Entertainment is that they always make it a point to differentiate these girls' solo endeavours. Like, Taeyeon is given the ballads and occasional bops, Tiffany is marketed as the cool, Tumblr-chic, Carly Rae Jepsen-aping gorl, Luna is BoA-lite, Hyoyeon is their version of $wag or whatever. And we have Seohyun channeling the leader of the new generation of popstars, Ariana Grande. Don't Say No is like an updated, less-soulful take on Miss Grande's Yours Truly album. And because I was a fan of that album, of course I am also stanning Don't Say No. It's such a fun track! The production is current and fresh but not shitty. It knows its influences but doesn't seem like a bad homage. It's very American RnB music done right. The pre-chorus is such a magical little ride before the chorus hits you with all these clean high notes. It's really a winner. Plus those godly, on-pitch ad libs... yath Seohyunnie. Murder your TTS unnies a tad. And I really love the music video as well. They could have easily given this song a pink wonderland plastic feel to it. But they surprisingly gave this a lot of sex appeal and couture fashion (I see that fish pen skirt, Seo bby!). Plus Seohyun and her oppa are so hot. YATH! The guy looks like a more appealing, sharper, not asexual Cha Eunwoo. I hope they date in real life. <3" Oh lord. Slicey, I could read an entire book written by you.♥​

3. And our #3 album also bows out~

[​IMG]

Seohyun - Don't Say No

Overall average: 7.61

High Scorers:

@ajmkv : 9.21
    @eccentricsimply : 8.79
    @Squashua : 8.43

Low Scorers:
    @Cotton Park : 5.25
    @Sanctuary : 6.14
    @He : 6.50

My average: 9.21

Oh my my, is this my favorite album of the whole year so far? I think it very well could be, and with good reason. With spectacular production, writing, visuals, and just about everything, I think this album will stand the test of time and will be fondly remembered as an incredible debut and an all-out fantastic collection of music. Every song here has its merits, and Seohyun should be proud of what she has achieved with this. The Korean public rightfully sent this to #1 on the Gaon charts, and I couldn't be happier that Seohyun got to taste some success doing what she wants, singing what she wrote, and looking like a bombshell.

[​IMG]

Amazing. The visuals from the album photoshoot and the teasers are incredible, I had so much fun making covers for the songs, and the album cover itself is also one of my favorites from the whole year. Everything about this was amazing. I have so, so much love for this. Who doesn't, though? Well, our lowest scorer, Cotton Park, who says this about Seohyun: "Seohyun is so much fun to watch in concert and such a likeable performer (like all of SNSD, really) that I was hoping I would like this EP better than I did. Don't Say No is nice enough, but there's this odd hollowness to it. Her Station song with Yuri was epic and completely unexpectedly so. The greatest shampoo ad of all time. I was hoping her EP would have that kind of edge to it." Oh well, you can't win 'em all! But some Secret love? I'll take it!

Hey, in the end I think we can all agree that Seohyun deserves every bit of recognition that she has received, and we can all hope that she comes back soon with something even better than this. We love you, Seohyunnie!

[​IMG]

4. I AM SCREAMING AT YOUR SLEUTHING, BOO! ♥ And guess what, you were RIGHT.~

5. Flawless write-up for a flawless song. I'm a full convert to the haus of Seohyunnie and it's all thanks to this mini (which is still among the best of the year). Eurgh, what a gawdesk - feed me hardware store treats and bury me in your SMEG fridge-freezer Black Widow Diva.

[​IMG]

You guys better give Don't Say No as much love in the 2017 SOTY rate as it has had here (especially when it doesn't have to compete with Free Somebody/I Just Wanna Dance).

6. Seohyun is the star of SNSD's new album for me (her songwriting, her parts in each song, her looks etc) that blew me away today so I'm going to stop being salty about her beating Taeyeon in this rate.

Slice of Life, Squashua and ajmkv like this.
  7. He

He

Go Luna!

8. I hope one of the girls wins the best song and the other one wins the best album so we can have two winners and everybody will be satisfied in this end.

9. Don't Say No is so good. I'm shocked I didn't give it a 10. I would now looking back.

Here for Tiffany to snatch it all.

Island, ajmkv and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  10. And now, for the conclusion of this rate...

FINALLY. (All shade @ajmkv~)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But who is the winner?...

The winner is...

[​IMG]

Island, ohnostalgia, Squashua and 2 others like this.
  11. Which means that...

[​IMG]

Tiffany - I Just Wanna Dance

Average: 9.36
    High Score: 11 x 2 (@Reboot , @Alouder98 )
    10 x 4 (@Shockbox , @Sanctuary , @ohnostalgia , @LightningRider )
    Low Score: 7.5 (@send photo )
    My score: 9.5

Are you surprised? Am I surprised? To be honest, given Luna's extraordinary scores throughout the whole competition, I'm not surprised that this ended up at #2. It has a high average score, and it beat Don't Say No by quite a sizeable margin, but Free Somebody shattered all of the competition. Still, I Just Wanna Dance is one of only two songs above the 9.0 mark, and its lowest score is still a pretty good 7.5, so it received quite a bit of love from all of you. It also peaked at #10 on the Gaon charts and was quite popular with domestic and Korean fans alike, so Tiffany's solo debut was a success for her. I'm happy that she was able to squeeze this in before she was the subject of another of those ridiculous witchhunts that netizens love to bring about. Still, she has come out relatively OK and I hope that she has a little more success outside of SNSD. If I Just Wanna Dance is any indication about what she has up her sleeve, I'm hungry for more. Ask and you shall receive?

[​IMG]
    I hope so!

I Just Wanna Dance was not the debut that I expected from Tiffany, if I'm being honest. I thought we would get some sort of power ballad or something along those lines, but Tiffany proved to be cooler than many people knew, and she came out with this, a refreshing and shimmery single that was perfect for the summer and a perfect calling card for Tiffany outside of the group. I think that she sounds effortlessly cool, and she pulls off something like this with aplomb - who would have thought that Tiffany could go for something like this and sound great while doing it? I definitely didn't, and I'm happy that I was pleasantly surprised.

The whole mini keeps up the same kind of sound for the most part (except for the obligatory closing ballad), and even though Fool is my favorite (and my only 10 from this album), I Just Wanna Dance is probably the best and most accessible song on this album - something that you all have proved by voting it the top song. It's a perfect introduction to the album, chilled enough to ease you into the experience, only to segue into Talk and Fool, which are songs that do similar things but go harder. But what is it about this song that hits a chord with the listeners? Tiffany makes good use of the synthpop wave to create something that is more dreamy than I would expect, but still punchy and catchy. It's quite subtle, actually, a slow-burner of a song that's not exactly instant, but holds up well and actually grows on you the more you listen to it. I really like that about it, because it adds to the effortless feel about it. While it's not the most in-your-face of songs, it's a strong piece of pop music and I appreciate it a lot for it. Tiffany sounds lovely in this song, as usual, and her falsetto ad-libs at the end of the song are decent - if she does one thing well, this girl, it's dramatic ad-libs. Unless, of course, she doesn't and this happens:

[​IMG]
    Did y'all think Tiff's last song post would be posted without this gif making one more appearance?

I love the aesthetics of the video, as well. Tiffany is a gorgeous woman, that's for sure, but I really liked the breezy looks she went for in the video. It's very American, down to the diner and the choreo in the parking lot next to the beach. It's very fun, and relatable - sure, everyone wants to think that they look like Taeyeon in the I Got Love video, but honestly people should aim to look as gorgeous as Tiffany in this video, and I can imagine that paking lot dance parties are actually a thing. I used to live next to the beach in Mexico for the majority of my life, and it was too hot and humid there for me to consider doing this back then, but give me a beer now and put on some Tiffany and I could be living this fantasy. I love the choreo, as well, it's fun, though I can't imagine that it would be pleasant to do it, especially with those outfits, while lying down on the hot pavement of the parking lot. But hey, it looks great so what's a couple of pavement burns when you look this gorgeous?~

[​IMG]

If I had to say why I didn't give this a 10, I'd point out the chorus which is kind of... boring? I don't know, it's just flat and not as good as the rest of the song for me. I'm going to say something controversial: I think I like the Kago Pengchi remix a little bit more than the original version of this song. It adds a huge punch to the song and even fixes the chorus for me - I know, I know, it's an unpopular opinion, but a year ago I was really enjoying the summer, I had just moved to France and the sun was shining every day when I walked to the town where I babysat, and I would play the remix as I stomped down the sidewalk and I felt like the sassiest and brassiest unnie. On top of that, the English lyrics made it easier to lip sync while strutting, so honestly yeah, I preferred the remix. But that's just me, and that's my favorite memory that this song brings to my mind.

But what memories does this song bring to you, my dear unnies? Does it make you just... wanna dance? Well, it brings me joy to say that everyone who sent commentary had something to say about this! Let's hear what you had to say~ send photo doesn't adore this: "She’s giving me BoA “Tail of Hope” teas in the pink shirt scenes. It bops but nothing spectacular" and Sanctuary isn't feeling the remix like I did: "I hate that an English version doesn’t exist outside of a remix that takes away some of the magic." eccentricsimply sums up everything I said very succinctly: "The songs builds up very well but it just.... never necessarily delivers? It's still a pleasant bop, but it sounds like it's missing something which is why it won't get a 10 from me." Squashua echoes the sentiment: "That glistening production is a proper straight shooting 10/10, it's a shame the chorus is a bit flat in response and the final attempts at whistle notes are... a choice. Tiff I salute you but please keep to your actual vocal range." Slice of Life agrees that the ad-libs aren't up to par...: "Pitch perfect production and suits Tiff to a T. It's very sensual but still very PG... just like our favourite Cali girl. Again, I'm gonna deduct a point or two for her questionable adlibs and falsettos because I am not here for that. Sorry @Alouder98!" Is it time again? It's time again:

[​IMG]
    This will never get old, kekeke~

Move over Ariana, there's a new comparison gal. He is the first to bring her up: "Tiffany Rae bringing an amazing breezy cool bop" and Shockbox underlines this: "The Carly Rae Jepsen of Korea. This song and Tiffany in general are greatly underappreciated." Is #2 good enough? Well, that remains to be seen. LightningRider asks a brief but important question: "Synth pop is my best friend, is synth pop your best friend?" Finally, our two 11-givers pile on the praise. Reboot is especially generous: "Better than most people’s careers to be honest. One of THE songs of 2016." And Alouder98 oversees the coronation of the new queen: "Those belts , those ad-libs! Mariah is shook. Carly Rae Jepsen cancels her next album. Madonna gives her 80s throne to the true Queen. * the stan cries *." (God, I love y'all and your commentary~)​

Island, ohnostalgia, Squashua and 4 others like this.
  12. And y'all wanted each of our girls to snatch a #1...

...but sadly that didn't happen.

[​IMG]

Tiffany - I Just Wanna Dance

Overall average: 7.83

High Scorers:

@Reboot : 9.17
    @Alouder98 : 9.00
    @eccentricsimply : 8.75
    @Deja-Boo : 8.75

Low Scorers:
    @send photo : 5.75
    @Cotton Park : 6.29
    @Shockbox : 7.17

My average: 7.75

This album is definitely one of the best albums of 2016, not only in K-Pop, but in general. It was unexpected and effortlessly cool, and I'm still surprised that Tiffany pulled this one out, and then made it even better by releasing Heartbreak Hotel (which, let's be real, was totally supposed to be on this album before it was replaced by something else...). This did well in Korea, peaking in the Top 3 of the Gaon albums chart. Let's hope that Tiff can do just as well and sound just as excellent with her next solo release, if she gets one.

Cotton Park beautifully sums up this album: "Tiffany's album really surprised me in two ways. It was simpler and less musically ambitious than I thought it would be. And I loved it way more than I thought I ever would. None of the songs are particularly mind-blowing but they all just seem to fit, like a favorite pair of jeans." You said it better than I ever could, unnie.​

13. And our last elimination....

[​IMG]

Tiffany, you almost had this.
    But second place is still quite good.
    One day, let's hope that you'll finally win something.
    But for now, it's time to go.
    I hope we see you soon,
    Reel in your ad-libs,
    And be careful what you post on Instagram,
    And you'll win everyone over in no time.
    Now, say goodbye.

[​IMG]
    >> I'm disappointed. I don't know what else to say. I wanted this so much but it just wasn't my time. I know it will come... I hope... *sniffles* Congratulations to Luna, though! <<

[​IMG]

14. And our WINNER!

[​IMG]

Luna - Free Somebody

Average: 9.79
    High Score: 11 x 2 (@eccentricsimply , @He )
    10 x 7 (@Shockbox , @Squashua , @send photo , @Sanctuary , @Deja-Boo , @Slice of Life , @ajmkv)
    Low Score: 9 x 5 (@Reboot , @ohnostalgia , @LightningRider , @Cotton Park , @Alouder98 )
    My score: 10

Look at those scores. They do not lie. A low score of 9? I tagged everyone who voted in this post, because if you weren't giving it your 11 or a 10, you were giving it a low score. No 9.5s or anything else, this song received either an 11, a 10, or a 9 from each of you. Amazing. Are any of you surprised? Am I surprised? Is Luna surprised?

[​IMG]

No, she is not. She knew she was going to win the minute this rate was announced. Many of you have said it during this rate and its many pauses, but honestly this was Luna's to lose. There was not a single point during the tallying where any other song even came close to beating this, and it was just a matter of time before this was crowned. We KPJers have spoken, and with a score of 9.79, veeery close a perfect 10, this song is now the worthy winner of this rate!

Free Somebody is amazing. It's spectacular. It's what K-Pop should be all the time: refreshing, catchy, well-produced, and a perfect showcase for the singer's talent and charisma. There aren't too many solo singers that can pull out something this well, and Luna came out with something that blew everyone away. Back when we did the 2016 Song of the Year rate, I wasn't such a fan of this song, but it grew on me and I learned to love it and see it for the truly magnificent piece of K-Pop that it is. I honestly don't even have that many words to describe it because I've written so, so, so much for so many songs in this rate, that at this point I've thought about what I would write for the song that I knew would win and... nothing is coming out. And that is because the success of this song is appropriate: talent always wins, and Luna definitely knocked it out of the park with this one.

In every way. In every way. Seriously, can someone point out something wrong with this song? The production is on point, the song sounds current and fresh even today, over a year after its release (and this might sound like hyperbole but K-Pop trends move at breakneck speed so it's an impressive fact), Luna shows off her sublime vocals in a beautiful way, hitting every note and making it all seem like it was nothing, and the whole thing just oozes appeal and coolness that is hard to find in other K-Pop releases. That's one thing that I like about this: most people who ask me why I like K-Pop if it's all cutesy and gimmicky wouldn't have guessed that Free Somebody is a song from K-Pop's biggest company (though, yeah, OK, JoJo wrote this and SM is notorious for outsourcing its songwriting to international talent but my point still stands). There are so many other songs that break the mold, but this one has such an undeniable crossover appeal and I love seeing how Luna, of all people, came out with an international banger that received recognition from multiple worldwide outlets. Smash, girl!

[​IMG]
    Amber remains pressed.

I also love love love loooooove the looks from the video and the album photoshoot. The warm yellow and red tones from the photos are gorgeous, Luna looks abolutely stunning in every piece of promotional material for this, and the video, though it has those strange animation bits that I didn't particularly love, is still a success, as it puts forth a joy that is infectious and wonderful to watch. Luna's bouncy dancing and wide smile while wearing that iconic DHL shirt/dress thing... the thing of beautiful dreams, unnies. Never forget my short and sweet comment from the 2016 SOTY rate:

Dat DHL t-shirt/dress tho...
    -ajmkv, 2016

I'm going to leave it at that and let y'all take it away. I'm surprised this received less comments than I Just Wanna Dance, but hey, talent doesn't always need vocal recognition when it's snatching the trophies. Let's start with the low-scorers (though they gave this a 9, so let's be real here, every single other song on here wishes that it had a horde of low scorers likke this...). LightningRider is actually the only 9-giver who comments: "An easy 10 if it was just less generic, all the other SM songs that sound like this taint it for me a bit." Hmm, this is not untrue... but from here on out, everything said about this song is brimming with positivity. Squashua sums up the best points of this song: "The easiest 10 to give out this rate. Everything is on point, everything. Acid trip elevators, redheads, Powerpuff girls, DHL courier services, modern infectious killer destructive scalp frying electrifying sledgehammer vocals stylin' masterpiece." Shockbox hits every possible note of praise: "I did also consider this for my 11. I love everything about this song. The amazing melody, the 90's vibe, the fucking incredible video. Every time I see a DHL bus, I think of Luna. Delivery queen." RIGHT, though? That iconic DHL look, ugh, I love it.

[​IMG]
    Fan-fuckin'-tastic.

Some people wish this had had more success outside of KPJ. send photo says: "I’m such a sucker for house beats. That video is ace too! Not to mention queen Jojo penned this and I can hear her all over it. Such a damn great single and it should’ve had more success." eccentricsimply agrees, adding: "I've known this song from since before I started getting into k-pop. It's just... pretty perfect, isn't it? It's truly a shame she didn't get enough recognition for this EP, but this song in particular for real deserved more than it got. Her vocals are on point, the performances are on point, the song is a bop and catchy as fuck." Slice of Life gives this the 10 it deserved before: "Honestly, I didn't give this a 10 in the Song of the Year Rate because the competition is so tough. But here... it's a perfect 10. It practically towers over almost every other song here. Luna absolutely murders (in a good way) this vocally which is not surprising since she's such a capable vocalist. And the instrumental-heavy middle 8 actually works? Weird." And finally, He gets the last laugh, as his 11 beats out everything else: "Amazing song from the best SM girl. This was just perfection: from the 90s inspired production, to the amazing vocals, the styling, the video, the dance, the new face… Luna just got it so right! After this, she became my favorite f(x) member. I wish this would have smashed. ps: watch her destroy the Red Light middle 8 live in their Japan concert, please, so you see what a force she is. ps2: I just found out this is JoJo co-write. SM does like to shop in the West." He, Luna has something to say to you:

[​IMG]

And that's it, unnies. We have a winner!​

15. And our #1 album is obviously...

[​IMG]

Luna - Free Somebody

Overall average: 8.18

High Scorers:

@Deja-Boo : 9.42
    @ajmkv : 9.33
    @Slice of Life : 9.25

Low Scorers:
    @Sanctuary : 6.00
    @Shockbox : 6.50
    @LightningRider : 7.58

My average: 9.33

And finally, we are at our #1 album. Free Somebody is a worthy winner of this rate, and it's a fantastic debut album. We've had many amazing solo debuts from K-Pop idols, but Free Somebody was on another level. Looks, performances, and, most importantly, the music, all of it was on point. I never checked for f(x) or for Luna before this, but this album has single-handedly ignited my love for Luna, and by extension, an interest in f(x). I really hope that Luna's lack of runaway success with this album doesn't impede SM from giving her more solo ventures (though I guess they haven't, since she's probably the most musically active f(x) member). Plus, the looks from this era were just so amazing, probably among the best of the year. So simple yet so beautiful.

[​IMG]

As usual, Cotton Park has some lovely closing words, and though they didn't know who the winner was, their commentary for this song was appropriate for a winner: "Free Somebody. Best EP of the year. By anyone. Bar none. She is wonderful. It's amazing how she gets overshadowed by three other members who can't sing or dance nearly as well as she does. Not that they're not great, either, but Luna is the glue of f(x). I never really realized it until I heard her sing without them." Where are the lies?

[​IMG]

16. Say hello to our winner!

[​IMG]

Luna, you are our winner!
    And now, you're shining bright,
    as SM's brightest star.
    Go out into the world and show everyone
    Just how bright you can shine once you break free
    Of the dreaded basement~
    Congratulations!

[​IMG]
    >> I just want to thank all of the people who made this possible: the girls who put out subpar releases and scored less than I did, the army of people helping to create my iconic lewks and songs, and the voters who helped me win even though I would have cut ajmkv if he had let me lose! I couldn't have done it without everyone, and I am thrilled to say that... I am SM's Next Top Solo Girl!~ <<

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------

So from deep abyssal trenches of Shake That Brass to the magnificent highs of Free Somebody, this has been quite the journey. We have made it through 52 songs, 8 albums, and 10 contestants, and now we have our winner! Congratulations to Luna and to Free Somebody, and thank you everyone for voting! See you next season~
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  17. [​IMG]

And as a quick note to all y'all unnies and oppas:

Thank you.

I've gone through a rough patch in my life the last few months, with life throwing me existential crises, bad health, accidents, and bad internet, but honestly this rate was a lovely escape. I'm terribly sorry that it took me this long to wrap it up, but I'm happy that y'all have kept up and supported it since the beginning. I hope that I did a good and entertaining job, that I did justice to these songs, and that y'all enjoyed my geeky America's Next Top Model, RPDR, and Flavor of Love-esque references and drama. I wanted to make this as fun as possible, a celebration of all things SM and K-Pop, and I hope that my silly twist came through all right.

I really do appreciate y'all, and I'm so humbled to have been able to share this fun little journey with you! And I'll see you when the SM Solo Girls reunion comes around~

P.S. I'll be posting stats and interesting voter tidbits in the coming days so stay tuned for that, too. Don't forget to check on the first page of this rate, too, as it's been curated carefully throughout with neat results and graphics~ Love y'all!♥​

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  18. I wanted Tiffany to snatch this, but Luna and Free Somebody are still worthy winners! Thank you so much @ajmkv for hosting this lovely rate.

Island, Squashua, ajmkv and 1 other person like this.
  19. I knew this was coming but Tiffany did really good, didn't she?

@ajmkv thanks for this amazing, fun, brilliant,showstopping and iconic rate. I could never do such a great job with it so I'm glad you were the one who took it over. Hope you're doing okay with your life now and hope to see you here more, again. <3

Squashua and Slice of Life like this.
  20. He

He

Amazing rate , unnie. Your write ups were hilarious and in-depth.

Thank you so much for your effort!

And thank you Luna for being perfect.

Slice of Life likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.