Kelis - Flesh Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The separations between the segues and the songs themselves on streaming don't seem very carefully done (I've only ever listened to my CD rip) – I had assumed that the songs on streaming had slightly different endings but it seems like someone just chopped the files up haphazardly? Like… Segue 6 really shouldn't exist, it's a 12-second-long outro.

EMANCIPATE YOURSELF

source.gif

EMANCIPATE YOURSELF

source.gif

EMANCIPATE YOURSELF

source.gif

EMANCIPATE YOURSELF

source.gif

Last edited:
I’ve always loved Kelis- Get Along With You is one of my all time favourite songs- and I wouldn’t say she has a single bad album. Kelis Was Here is probably my favourite but Fleshtone is easily her best quality.

he/him
I can't imagine Flesh Tone without the segues, I think they're so core to what makes the album so special. My literal only complaint about them is that I'd have enjoyed to hear more expanded versions of a couple (Home into Acapella in particular). They just work here, and they make the album experience so much more immersive.

Looking back, I don't think I'd change anything about this album. There is variance in the quality throughout, but even my lesser favourites (Home, Brave) contribute. I so wish it was not the only dance album in her discography, particularly as we know she was working on a second, but at the same time I admire how she dabbled in dance once, did it beautifully, and then walked away before "I'm making a dance album now!" became the industry default.

What an era to follow, too. The grey hair, one of the best comeback singles of the century, the initial exciting success, that album artwork, the critical acclaim, the painfully inevitable post-album flops, the initially generous but rapidly declining music video budgets, the tell-alls about the wild impracticality of the grey hair... It was a pop era. I have a tremendous amount of nostalgia for it.

I haven't listened to this in years, but now I've remembered it exists, I want to listen to it again. And I'll love every second of it, even the segues.

Status
Not open for further replies.