Kelis - "Midnight Snacks" + 7th Album | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

Kelis - "Midnight Snacks" + 7th Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Food was a great album, you uncultured rats. Dave Sitek was a perfect producer partner for her.

I feel like the public have really softened to Kelis these last few years. Of course you get the dumbass Nas stans still throwing misogynistic jabs at her but on a whole, people seem to realise how valuable her contributions to both music and culture are. I can see a new album being really well received.

lob0to, Overdose, fancygreen and 30 others like this.
  2. Food is a better album than Flesh Tone, though that won’t be a well received take on here. It kind of felt like a fully realised version of her, while Flesh Tone, though hugely enjoyable, felt more like a single facet.

Andrew, sesita, Cordyceps and 11 others like this.
  3. ssa

ssa

Food was incredible.
    Her cookbook is SOLID.

I need her to follow up on both to drag me through this winter.

Burzum likes this.
  4. Rumble is Top 5 Kelis for me. That first verse... sublime.

Mikal and dodoriazarbon like this.
  5. Food is great.
    Flesh Tone is great.

6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

My birthday is on Oct. 10th, this is for us Libras!!!

RISE, RISE UP!!!

sesita, dewzero, Burzum and 7 others like this.
  7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I love Food but I’m not here for any Flesh Tone disrespect - they’re both completely impossible to compare to each other anyway.

8. Nikki Beatnik removing “Distance” (the untagged CD version) from her SoundCloud… I’m mad

eddy2375 likes this.
  9. This is the most accurate take. Any genre/style she tackles she does right.

Besides, the only bad thing about Kelis is her strained vocals on some of those high notes.

andiemal likes this.
  10. Nn FOOD is my favorite Kelis album. It was the soundtrack to a particularly difficult summer and I always end up spinning it the moment the days start getting longer.

All among her absolute best. I'd still consider Tasty her most exciting work but FOOD just hits my soul.

fancygreen, Island, Pretend and 19 others like this.
  11. Jerk Ribs is a perfect song.

Island, Cutlery, He and 4 others like this.
  12. Throwback to when she filmed a high budget video for it and then released behind the scenes photoshoot footage instead.

Thinking of that original video today

dewzero, Jwentz, godspeed and 6 others like this.
  13. LTG

LTG

PETA ruin everything

14. Was it really PETA? I have a hard time believing the same woman who wrote this open letter to them would back down if they even tried anything dd:

15. I live for a Kelis struggle vocal moment! Relatable queen.

sesita and YourLeadSinger like this.
  16. The way Kelis has some of the most iconically unique vocals ever. Seriously one of my all time favorites.

Pretend, sesita, dewzero and 11 others like this.
  17. Floyd is that girl, a perfect soul-jazz moment. The best song to accompany warm evenings as the sun sets in the city. That last minute and a half of instrumentation is stunning. A real underrated highlight.

Bless The Telephone cover is sublime also.

Pretend, sesita, Mr.Arroz and 10 others like this.
  18. Double post but thinking about the time Kelis spent 15 minutes shading and showing her back to Charlamagne the Champagne Goddess on the Breakfast Club, god I love her bluntness.

Overdose, fancygreen, Island and 8 others like this.
  19. "Floyd" is one of my all-time favourite songs.

Sure I'm self-sufficient, blah blah, independent
    Truthfully, I've got some space
    I want that man to fill it

Burzum, dodoriazarbon and 1991 like this.
  20. This is still, hands down, one of the funniest open letters I’ve ever read. I remember it pissed a lot of people off, which made it even funnier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.