Kelly Clarkson - When Christmas Comes Around (2nd Holiday Album) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Kelly Clarkson - When Christmas Comes Around (2nd Holiday Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by aboutyounow, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Unfortunately though, visibility doesn't always equal success. Gwen Stefani was on tv every week and on the cover of every gossip rag in America during her stint on The Voice and the highest a single of hers peaked was #52. Granted, Kelly is a good 10 years younger than Gwen was and has had more consistent visibility in the music scene in general. But I wouldn't bank on Kelly's increased level of fame helping out her music. Particularly, if its only major source of promo is The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Voice, and Hot AC radio. Remember Atlantic didn't bother at all with the singles from Meaning of Life. Kelly promo'd her ass off, but I Don't Think About You did not get promoted to pop radio and it got no playlist support on Spotify. Kelly's career as a commercially viable pop star is probably dead. Which was always going to happen cuz she's a woman over 35. But some of her career choices over the last few years sped the process up, in my opinion.

2. All of her songs on Spotify have creepy Christmas animations

Kyle., lushLuck, Blond and 1 other person like this.
  3. As cliche as it sounds, I’m just happy she’s happy and still working. She seemed really unhappy and over the industry 12 years ago.

As for the wait for new music, it’s an annoyingly long wait, but it’s important to remember that they basically started working on what the album is shaping up to be only a year ago. They had a completely different album they were planning on releasing fall of 2020 before Covid and her divorce happened, and the divorce obviously changed the direction of the album, they pretty much started over.

The new Xmas album was her label’s idea, it kinda seems like they wanted to put something out while they’re still working on the next non-holiday album.

4. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

The thing is, I don’t even think of the shows as promotional tools, but rather insurance against the tide of the music industry, of which she has little chance of fighting as a woman who will be 40 in about six months.

If she did something to speed up her commercial decline, it was probably the Piece By Piece album, he says, slowly backing out of the thread and logging out.

Jacques, An Insider, Push and 13 others like this.
  6. Yeah, to be honest the route she's taken is the most viable path for her to maintain a successful career. The moves she's been making in recent years always seemed inevitable to me. She's never been the risky "I would die for my art" type and she's been shoehorned into Hot AC mom pop for years. Piece By Piece signaled a downturn in her success (the title track being a fluke) and her singles haven't done much after that. If she didn't pivot to The Voice/talk show/etc. it just seems like it was going to be diminishing returns for the foreseeable future.

I get the fan frustration. If I was a die-hard Kelly fan I'd probably be annoyed. However, I still think she's committed to music so I'm sure albums are going to continue coming. With her recent success, it now doesn't really matter if her singles flop & she now has an easier way to shill albums.

I'm not sure if the Gwen comparison checks out for me. I think Gwen has some image problems/an identity crisis with her music that Kelly probably won't have to deal with.

7. I realize this is not her thread, but the people who think Gwen has been having some musical identity crisis.... weren't paying much attention to Gwen's solo career apparently.

SlowGinFizzzz likes this.
  8. I do feel like Kelly has gradually shifted away from the sound that made her most famous though.

If the new material is closer to pop/rock it will be interesting to see how it charts. I just don’t think Heartbeat Song, Love So Soft and I Dare You are really what the general public (including the ‘mom’ market) really want from her.

I’m not saying I think it’s going to be huge, just I’m not sure she can be written off yet. Another interesting factor will be how the album does, this feels like the first time she’s releasing in the market where there are 5 album covers, 5 cassettes and a few vinyl - the TV audience may not be enough to get a hit single but if they translate to big bundle buyers she could have her biggest album debut in a while.

9. 'When Christmas Comes Around...', out October 15th.

[​IMG]

1. Merry Christmas Baby
    2. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
    3. Christmas Isn't Cancelled (Just You)
    4. Merry Christmas (To the One I Used to Know)
    5. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
    6. Glow (with Chris Stapleton)
    7. Santa Baby
    8. Santa, Can't You Hear Me (with Ariana Grande)
    9. Last Christmas
    10. Jingle Bell Rock
    11. Blessed
    12. Christmas Come Early
    13. Under the Mistletoe (with Brett Eldredge) [Bonus Track]
    14. All I Want for Christmas Is You [Bonus Track]
    15. Christmas Eve [Bonus Track]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  10. I love how passive aggressive the titles with brackets are.

What is with the purple dress? It looks like a big band album more than a Christmas album. I wouldn’t have cared if she was in red again but there’s nothing Christmasy about that cover.

JasonJay, lushLuck and RainOnFire like this.
  11. I got a little excited by that album title prematurely. The Matt Terry track is probably my most played Xmas song every year.

Martyn likes this.
  12. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Hmm. It looks like they're trying to dupe people into thinking that it's not a Christmas album with that cover, even though a Christmas album by Kelly Clarkson would probably sell better than a regular album these days so I'm not sure what the point is.

I'm counting 6 originals (excluding the bonus tracks), is that correct?

breakaway and lushLuck like this.
  13. Oh this is exciting! I agree the cover should give some indication its a Christmas album… but fuck does she look great!!

14. This is a bit odd, initially this was an alternative to the regular Christmas album which the cover lines with well but looking at the track list there are some really obvious covers…

15. The artwork is nice and I'm looking forward to the Ariana collaboration. "Christmas Isn't Cancelled (Just You)" is pleasant enough and feels very warm and familiar on first listen since sonically speaking it is very much a bunch of known songs rolled into one, but less exciting than something like "Underneath The Tree" was and continues to be. The song selection feels at odds with what we were hearing as they're very obvious choices, and there seems to be less original tracks than I was anticipating.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. I wish the artwork was more Christmas-y, but I'm excited either way!

17. I can't be the only one thinking - is "Santa, Can You Hear Me" a Britney cover??? Yes I know the title's are different, but the lyric is iconic enough

Knightr634, andru and Lost In Japan. like this.
  18. It gave me Britney vibes too!

The track is actually called "Santa, Can't You Hear Me" according to the iTunes/Apple Music pre-order though: https://music.apple.com/nz/album/when-christmas-comes-around/1586039341

mattw67 likes this.
  19. Yeah I really enjoy the passive aggressiveness of (with Chris Stapleton)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.