Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #15 + #14 + #13 (SURPRISE TRIPLE ELIMINATION!) | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #15 + #14 + #13 (SURPRISE TRIPLE ELIMINATION!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Haha, I'm very happy about it myself. I just absolutely COULD NOT deal with any of these three songs. They're two 7s and a 6 respectively.

Remorque, Maki and aux like this.
  2. You giving scores lower than a 7?
    [​IMG]

I don't remember you posting the album averages here, so maybe that's the part of my surprise.

3. I have to admit that the language was a bit of a barrier for me - I liked the track, but for me it is hard to really get into a song (especially hip-hop) when you don't understand the lyrics.

4. I usually do this in rates, so here's a list of songs that better not end up underrated:
    - Main Thing
    - Universal Woman
    - Say You'll Walk the Distance
    - Still Your Girl
    - Bum Like You
    - Dancehall Queen
    - Every Little Thing

Some of the singles/better known songs were excludes for obvious reasons (i.e. I think they will do well).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  5. I gave three of those songs really high scores. Won’t say which but I hope they make it far too! I might have served dust to some of the others though.

6. Two 10s and a 9 detected. The rest all got decent scores... except for one ddd

Remorque, aux, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  7. I'm prettys sure I'm gonna be this rates @Music Is Life and pretty much only rate songs above 7.

8. My lowest average was for the rarities, which still got an average of 8.

Remorque, evilsin, aux and 3 others like this.
  9. Nice to hear that!
    Although, I'm afraid that "Universal Woman" is the one you both underscored.
    (none of the songs I mentioned is my 11, so it's tolerable)

I think (and hope) some of the songs from the debut will vacate very soon.

Remorque, soratami, aux and 1 other person like this.
  10. aux

aux

Sorry that I didn’t eliminate any tracks last night, this was due to not having access to the master spreadsheet, but I should have access later today, so prepare for four eliminations today xx

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  11. If you only rate songs from 7-10, you're essentially using a four point scale, leaving no space for the chasm in quality between Dancing On My Own and, say, Disco Davato. I always treat rates in relative terms as a result. Got to use those 1's in order to make the 10's count!

12. Good first elimination. While I enjoy Disco Davato, I'm not mad it's out. I don't remember the third one ddddd

Maki and aux like this.
  13. aux

aux

Well well well, let's get back to this, shall we?

HERE WE GO

[​IMG]

Highest - 9.25 x1 (@Maki)

Lowest - 1 x5 (@Untouchable Ace, @Stopremix, @Cutlery, @Verandi, @CasuallyCrazed)

And the debut becomes the first album to take two eliminations, which isn't surprising considering most people would rate the debut as her "worst". In my opinion, each Robyn album has their own charm, and even if I don't come back to the debut often, I still appreciate it for what it is.

This song is a difficult one. On one hand, I find it to be quite smooth and showcases Robyn's vocals really well. I also really like the melody in the chorus. But on the other hand, the song is very generic and is very much of its time. All that said, it's one of the few debut album tracks that I go back to.

Our highest score comes from @Maki, who says, "Similarly to Just Another Girlfriend, I was hooked upon hearing the intro of this song. It's quite amazing, isn't it? The verses are gorgeous - melody, delivery and all. Unfortunately, it flails off a bit in the chorus, but manages to maintain its beauty. The featured singer is a nice addition, as well as Robyn's ad-libs and those lovely strings. There's a certain amount of melancholy that does it for me. For sure an album highlight." I think they sum up the argument for the song very well, especially their comment on the melancholy aspect of Here We Go. @RUNAWAY also agrees with @Maki, saying they "love the vocal arrangements in this song. The lyrics are kind of basic, but the vocals and ad libs are really great."

On the complete other side of the spectrum, @Cutlery, who scored it a 1 says, "This is the most forgettable type of 90s cookie cutter ballad you can possibly do. Add some hideous backing vocals to top it off." A total 180 from what @Maki said nn. @Seventeen Days also does not like this ballad, saying they're "usually here for a slow jam… but sis. This is not it. Good try though."​

14. Here She Goes indeed. Bye.

aux likes this.
  15. aux

aux

Do you want more?

YEAH

YEAH

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO

[​IMG]

Highest - 8.5 x1 (@aux, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 1 x2 (@CasuallyCrazed, @Andsov)

As you can see from this score, I ate this up. Her vocals excel here and the production is serving Mariah's debut album. I'm a bit sad that this did not make the US version of the album, since I find it to be quite stellar and really sums up what this album wanted to do. To sum up:

[​IMG]

Let's get to the commentary, @daninternational says it isn't standing out from anything on Robyn Is Here, which I completely understand, but I would argue this is slightly above most of the filler in the album. @Andsov says they're not a fan of soul Robyn, furthermore they say "There are surprisingly many early songs that I really can’t stand. This is one of them I’m afraid. It’s just so incredibly dull, the sort of 90s music I just hate." I can see why someone might find this dull, similarly to what @Maki says, the track is slightly boring and goes on for a bit too long. The person I mainly agree with here is @RUNAWAY, who says "I really like this song. I completely understand why this one was left off the international version of the album, but it’s a really great midtempo ballad." @sfmartin says something similar, by saying they really like the "relaxed groove" of the song.​

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  16. I really liked Robyn Is Here but I can't say I mind either of these tracks being gone. I just hope Bumpy Ride and The Last Time go a lot further.

nikkysan, djmakemewet and aux like this.
  17. I was expecting a Mr. Tophat whitewash so I'm a little surprised to see the debut taking such a kicking at this point.

That said, Here We Go and Where Did Our Love Go ranked near the bottom of the album for me. Here We Go is a bit too schmaltzy while Where Did Our Love Go is just... unremarkable.

soratami and aux like this.
  18. Clocking that Tinashe reference, @aux!

2014, djmakemewet and aux like this.
  19. aux

aux

After the debut losing two tracks in a row, which album will be the next to lose?

Robyn Is Here again?​

My Truth?​

Another Mr. Tophat track?

Or from an album that hasn't been touched yet?​

UNDERNEATH THE HEART

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@Seventeen Days)

Lowest - 1 x2 (@Ana Raquel, @Stopremix)

Y'all, this was divisive.

Our highest score comes from @Seventeen Days, who says, "Why do I feel like this album could be on the chopping block early? This track is quite gorgeous; I love the heartbeat running under the track, giving the song title literal meaning." I'm 100% on their side, by saying this track is gorgeous. @Maki and I see eye to eye with their commentary, who says, "Oh my, this is so adorable. The cuteness in her voice is possibly at the peak here and the song is equally as cute. Even though I prefer the beautiful verses, there's something about the chorus that sounds almost like a classic (which isn't as amazing as the absolutes highs of "My Truth"). A lovely stripped-down moment of the album." The vocal delivery is outstanding, and really makes the track for me, and it's the main argument I took from their commentary.

@LeBratt furthers my feelings about the track saying "Probably unpopular opinion..but this is LUSH! The arrangements, especially the vocal arrangements, are stunning. Maybe it’s fluff, maybe too vanilla. But I don’t care I just feel like it gets me in my feels. I love R&B/Pop ballads from this sound so I feel like this is rights up my street." There seems to be a common ground between those who hate it and those who don't, and it seems to be whether how much fluff and soppiness is too much.

@Andsov liked Robyn's voice, and doesn't mind the soppiness, they also allude to this track being Disney-esque. This is a comment @daninternational and @br0dy bizarrely make as well, the latter says it "sounds like a song from a Disney animated movie (not in a good way)" and the former wonders if this is from a straight to VHS Disney sequel. Surprisingly, @Music Is Life, known for their love for everything, say they got bored listening to this song. @The Hot Rock wonders if this is the worst Robyn track, which I don't agree with at all, considering the debut is full of worse songs than this, at least this is memorable.

On the other hand of the criticism, @Untouchable Ace says this is very well sung. @RUNAWAY says it's a sweet ballad, but doesn't make sense being shoved between My Only Reason and Electric, which I agree completely.

I loved reading your reactions to this song nn​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.