Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #15 + #14 (SURPRISE TRIPLE ELIMINATION!) | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #15 + #14 (SURPRISE TRIPLE ELIMINATION!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. "My Only Reason" is very cute, yet nothing special and I'm totally fine with its elimination. I gave it a 7 and further explained the similarities with the debut album in the commentary:
    This is probably the song that is most similar to her debut, both sonically and lyrically. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, because the production has more depth to it compared to the debut album and the chorus is really cute. Still, the verses aren't impressive and drag the song down.

soratami and aux like this.
  2. aux

aux

Tamar, do you watch this rate?

WHO DO YOU LOVE

[​IMG]

Highest - 8.5 x2 (@djmakemewet, @Aester)

Lowest - 2 x2 (@Andsov, @Hurricane Drunk)

The first of our two extras out tonight. I am really shocked to see this die so quickly. This is such a fine moment in Robyn's career. I prefer Cry Everything, but this is still great and showcases the greatness that would ensue between Kindness and Robyn in the future. Loved hearing this one on tour as well.

Also, just on a separate point, @abael, we seem to be agreeing on a lot of scores here recently, which is a complete 180 from the Kate Bush rate nn. I originally was apprehensive to your presence on this rate, but frankly, you haven't been scoring terribly yet. Never mind ladies, Miss Thing gave it a four and has lost all good will gained.

Anyways, back to the commentary, @Maki says this is "Probably my favorite out of her collaborations with Kindness." @Seventeen Days seems to like the track, commenting "I’m getting some 90s R&B/new jack swing vibes from the stuttered beat. I can dig it." @daninternational was caught by surprise by this track, saying "This is unexpectedly cute." My fellow co-host, @Aidan, says "I love this, such a jam."

As for the other extra...

THAT COULD HAVE BEEN ME

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x3 (@BEST FICTION, @Cotton Park, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 2.75 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

Whilst doing the research for the rate, I found this track and just had to include it. This is from 2017, an appeared in a Todd Rundgren album titled White Knight. I haven't bothered listening to the full album, but I fucking love this track. The synths at the start, Robyn's voice, the live instrumentation, the chorus. Perfect and delicious. This is one of my favourite deep cuts from Robyn, as @Aidan places it "Underrated Robyn jam".

I am once again baffled at @CasuallyCrazed for giving this a shit score. @BEST FICTION, @Cotton Park and @RUNAWAY, I love you all, tasteful icons.

The iconic @RUNAWAY, who gave this a ten, says "This song is such an unexpected, vulnerable collaboration that Robyn’s vocals really shine on. Absolutely looking forward to the hundreds of plays I’m going to be giving this song." Another legend, @Cotton Park, comments "Amazingly perfect song. Thank you, Todd."

In the middle ground, @Maki says "This is quite uninteresting and forgettable. The production is good and some lines in the chorus are okay, but that's about it." and @daninternational comments "I like it, but it's a bit more straightforward than I like from Robyn." I understand both points, but I'm not sure I agree with them. I firstly don't find this forgettable, but maybe it's because I was ready for it to be terrible and it was completely the opposite. It's such a stunning downtempo moment.

To sum it all up, I'll post Sam Sodomsky's review on Pitchfork of this track, which encapsulates everything I love about this track:

"On “That Could Have Been Me,” Rundgren hands the microphone to Robyn, an artist who’s inspired many of pop music’s most memorable recent comebacks, from Carly Rae Jepsen’s E•MO•TION to Lorde’s “Green Light.” But unlike those ecstatic, neon-lit anthems, “That Could Have Been Me” is a smooth serenade, a late night R&B throwback that wouldn’t sound out of place on an early 2000s Mariah Carey album. While many of Robyn’s post-Body Talk collabs have found her stretching out and shaking things up, here she plays it straight. With his sleepy synths and ghostly harmonies, Rundgren cozily complements her tale of loneliness. Together, two visionaries from different generations sound content to meet somewhere in the middle, finding inspiration in each other’s comfort zones."

RIP That Could Have Been Me

You deserved better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  3. There are several songs in the rarities section that I would like to leave.
    My bets are on "That Could Have Been Me" and "Out of the Black" (which are my lowest scores in the extras, too).

4. What a rare vocal moment for Robyn. This has gone far too soon.

5. Well, one of the two was a correct guess.

I really like "Who Do You Love" and totally wasn't expecting to see it leave so early. I gave it a 7,25 - it's really well-produced and has a great hook, too.
    That leaves my least favorite out of the three songs with Kindness, and I'm assuming it won't last long at all.

As for "The Could Have Been Me", with 5,5 it is my lowest score in the extras section and I'm glad it's gone.
    Sorry, but I just can't hear the magic that some of you do. To be honest, I thought it would leave even earlier.

Cutlery likes this.
  6. aux

aux

[​IMG]

7. I'm fine with these cuts. How much longer will the bops brigade keep the deadweight known as Out of the Black's D.O.A. corpse afloat?

daninternational and Maki like this.
  8. Sorry, I had no idea some of the voters loved that somg so much. Did you give it a 10?

That makes the exit of "Who Do You Love" even more surprising. I blame the lack of high scores for that.

9. aux

aux

I gave it a nine, mainly because I was giving out too many tens nn

10. I also gave "Who Do You Love" an 8.5. It is a real bummer to see the Kindness tracks doing so poorly. Did people just have fatigue by the time they got around to rating these songs? Because they're really quite lovely! I gave "The Warning" a 10 and I will cry (everything) if it leaves soon too.

I don't think "That Could Have Been Me" deserved to go yet either. When I saw it on the tracklist, I was like, "Wait a minute, that Todd Rundgren?" It was a pleasant surprise. Her vocals do sound great on it.

11. Wait... lower than the Mr. Tophat songs?

giphy - 2019-10-31T165647.739.gif

12. Yes, but I gave the Mr. Tophat tracks almost random scores because I remembered nothing about them. They were going to be eliminated early anyways.

soratami and djmakemewet like this.
  13. Interesting to me that the 10s for the Todd collab all came from KPJ regulars.

That song is one of the reasons I love these contests. I love Todd and Robyn but never would have known about this track. It's sumptuous and rich and it's unfortunate that some of us can't enjoy it.

Two generations of pop song elite mastery together.

RUNAWAY, Untouchable Ace and aux like this.
  14. ..but I gave that a 4.
    justsmile.gif

15. aux

aux

16. Sorry I was looking at the wrong person, it was @Aester who gave it a 8.5. His and @abael scores are right beside each other on the score sheet

soratami, Music Is Life, Maki and 2 others like this.
  17. aux

aux

@abael ignore what I said originally x

18. [​IMG]

19. Ha, that explains that!

20. aux

aux

Tonight (?) I'll only do one elimination as it's quite late here and mawma needs to wake up early tomorrow. On that note, we're about to lose a track from an album that hasn't lost much since its first elimination...

O BABY

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x3 (@Sprockrooster, @tylerc904, @djmakemewet)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Stopremix)

This elimination feels... right. To me, this has always been a weak link in Don't Stop The Music's start. It starts with Keep This Fire Burning, Don't Stop The Music and then the low of O Baby... followed by one of Robyn's best songs, but we'll talk about her later. O Baby just feels out of place, and it's so generic and standard. I feel like I have heard this song in the past, several times. This is an issue brought up by @OspreyQueen, who comments "I feel like I’ve heard this chord progression in like 20 other songs." @Aidan seems to agree, saying "This wasn’t for me", followed by @sfmartin who comments "Nothing about this really stands out to me."

On the middle ground, @evilsin comments "It’s cute, especially with the harmonies at the end, but the melodies don’t do much to me." Those who liked the song say "Cuteness in this song is undeniable. It flows so nicely and her delivery is lovely. The chorus melody is beautiful" (@Maki) and "This was played a lot in Sweden so for me it just feels nostalgic. Such a sweet pop/R&B ballad" (@LeBratt). A couple of people also praised Max Martin's production on this track, saying "This one has Max Martin written all over it. It’s a pleasant little mid-tempo track though." (@Seventeen Days) and "Max Martin flexing his music muscles and Robyn elevating it to perfection. A classic. A shame no single treatment was in order for this" (@Sprockrooster).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.