Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #16 | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #16

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aux

aux

Good evening ladies, I'm not feeling great tonight so I won't be doing the standard elimination today. I'll do it tomorrow afternoon, hope that's okay xx

2. Don't fear sistrens, I am here to step in (and won't mess things up like last time...)

Anyway, here's our next elimination

It's one that I scored low and that @aux scored high, kii

75- Giving You Back – 6.561

[​IMG]

Highest – 10x1 (@Aester)

Lowest- 1.25x1( @CasuallyCrazed)
    My score: 4
    aux's score: 9.5
    I didn't like this as it was far too long which seems to be a running theme for some of her early stuff but let's see what others had to say. @RUNAWAY has high praise for the song saying: "her hurt here is evident, and her lyrics here are stunning." @Music Is Life shares the same thoughts as me: "This is kinda beautiful, but also not very interesting, and a little too long." Whereas @The Hot Rock just says: "Queen of the elements." watch out Earth, Wind and Fire! @daninternational thinks the song is alright but is: "so cheesy" and to round us off we have @LeBratt who has this to say: "Truly one of her most intimate and vulnerable moments. Hearing this song and knowing about the abortion really elevates the song. Not really my favorite ballad of hers, the melodies are not moving me so much, but I appreciate it’s sentiment"

3. Is five minutes really too long for a such a personal ballad? I think it's a beautiful song, and it's completely ridiculous that we didn't get the second album in the US because of its subject matter (one in four women will have an abortion, but god forbid we talk, or sing, about it).

Maki likes this.
  4. I honestly had no idea the song was about an abortion until I read people’s commentary

5. A 1.25?

Really?

Honestly....

6. That's fair. The lyrics aren't explicit. But I still don't think five minutes is too bad compared to some of the other songs in this rate!

Maki likes this.
  7. Yeah the length wasn't a problem to me considering I love Monument. But it's just it wasn't that great in the technical achievement I guess

Maki, Mirwais Ahmadzaï and Stopremix like this.
  8. As a fellow lover of Monument, I am relieved to hear that!

sfmartin, Maki, aux and 1 other person like this.
  9. Yikes at me not knowing any backstory and trashing all her abortion-songs. Sadly rates with this many songs don't give me enough time to delve into the lyrics or backstories of each song. Happy to be educated though!

10. aux

aux

@Music Is Life this one is for you​

I'm gutted to see Giving You Back leave, considering its one of her absolute best tracks. The lyrics are heartbreaking, and this is one of those songs that I don't listen to because it genuinely makes me feel sad, similarly to Taylor Swift's Soon You'll Get Better. It's an excellent track, with stunning arrangements and superb lyrics that speak of her abortion without being cheesy, as someone else pointed out. I love how Robyn fought to keep this track on the album, as RCA wanted it to be re-recorded with different lyrics so it wasn't clear it was about her abortion - which they tried to hide as a miscarriage. Robyn has always been an artist, holding her ground, and I adore her for that. All that said, Robyn's catalogue is so extensive, delving into so many genres and contents that this was bound to get lost in the mix. It's a shame, but frankly, the entire rate is so tight that I cannot complain.

Right, that aside, let's keep going...

AIN'T NO THING

[​IMG]

Highest - 9.25 x1 (@Maki)

Lowest - 2.25 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

@Aidan's score - 8

My score - 4.5

This time @Aidan rated high and I rated low nn. I don't really mind this, it's alright, but it's way too repetitive for me to fully indulge in it. It's one of the weaker points of Don't Stop The Music, as for me, the albums just dies down after Breakdown Intermission and struggles to pick back up completely to the highs at the start. This is certainly an elimination I can get behind [​IMG]. @evilsin and @daninternational seem to agree with yours truly, saying "I think this needs something a little more in the beat department to be catchier," and "it's decent, but not inspiring," respectively.

My fellow co-host, who gave this an 8, says "Such a cute track I didn't expect to love." @Maki seems to align themselves with @Aidan, commenting "Aww, I love this adorably enjoyable track. I'm always smiling once it hits that addictive chorus. It's like a child of "Keep This Fire Burning", which is definitely a compliment. For that reason, I may call it a filler, but one damn good filler. The only thing that is missing for an even higher is a middle-8 and/or another section (at this point, that's become a staple for this album). The instrumental outro is really nice, too." I completely agree with it being similar to 'Keep This Fire Burning', I hadn't noticed that until @Maki mentioned it. @LeBratt also feels the same way to the previous two comments, saying "A bop, it’s so addictive, especially that guitar running throughout." @Seventeen Days also adores it, commenting "Talk about starting strong out the gate. This is total late 90s pop/R&B goodness, and I was jamming after only one listen."​

11. I can't recall how this goes at all

Sprockrooster and aux like this.
  12. aux

aux

Neither could I until I listened to it whilst doing the write up fff

I think it's time for us to continue getting rid of tracks so let's keep going...

BUMPY RIDE

[​IMG]

Highest - 9 x3 (@evilsin, @nikkysan, @OspreyQueen)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Cutlery)

@Aidan's score - 6

@aux's score - 5

This is another track I'm so ambivalent about, I like it but at the same time, it's nothing special when compared to the future of Robyn's career - I'm sure listening to this completely unaware of Robyn's future material, this would have scored a lot better. It's slightly generic, I literally started singing 'what a man, what a man, what a man' over the intro. It is a great intro to the debut album though, setting the tone of the record pretty quickly.

@Cutlery sums up how I partly feel about the track, commenting "Well the positive I can come up with, is that the lower register sounds lovely even at her young age here. The rest of the track is derivative, inessential, offensively faceless." @Maki says "Very cute opener of this very cute album. There's something very charming here that makes it stand out a bit (maybe it's that rubber duck sound, I'm not sure), including those back vocals. Other than that, it's a bit bland and not so remarkable. Also, it goes on for a minute too long." @evilsin really likes it, commenting "This is smooth AF in the best 90s R’n’B traditions."​

13. Me at basically every elimination up to now:

14. aux

aux

Don't worry, we're getting closer to what people have really been waiting for... It's an absolute bloodbath.

15. "Giving You Back" left too early, such a pity that voters didn't have time to get to know its full backstory and appreciate it from that point of view. Well, at least @Aester, @LeBratt and @aux did. It's not an amazing song sonically, but it has wonderful moments (that production, for example) worth of praise.
    I gave it a 8,5 and my commentary is:
    Lyrically, the deepest, most personal and saddest song on the album. Such a devastating thing to happen to her, which resulted in this beautiful song. The intro is so captivating, and it transitions so well into the verses and pre-chorus. I wish it went ever sadder melodically, especially in the chorus, but I appreciate the aspect of leaving it more on a hopeful note.

16. aux

aux

RE: Giving You Back, here are the lyrics for those interested. It's truly something special and heart aching.

17. Bumpy Ride is a bop and y’all did it dirty.

18. No... "Ain't No Thing" didn't deserve this.

If we exclude "Regntunga Skyar", it's actually among my top 3 songs from that album. I sympathize with it for some reason and refuse to hear any harsh criticism towards it.
    It isn't perfect, but in no way it deserves to be ranked as the second-worst from "Don't Stop the Music".

It's a perfect example that (what I consider) a filler track doesn't have to be a bad thing at all. In fact, "Ain't No Thing" is an excellent filler, because it uses all of the elements we've heard (hence the comparison with "Keep This Fire Burning") and does it in such a great way. Perhaps the electric guitar use is something new - and it's an amazing addition.

Glad that I'm not the only one who hears resemblences with "Keep This Fire Burning" (even though @aux didn't catch that at first). The production is very similar and the way the melody flows is done in a similar fashion. Of course we know which song is superior, but "Ain't No Thing" remains an adorable little album gem that absolutely should've stayed longer.

soratami and aux like this.
  19. Bumpy Ride was the first new song I listened for the rate and it was... definitely not a good experience

20. I LOVE YOU!

Also, nothing of value has been lost so far...except Giving You Back, which despite my not total love for it, I think deserved better, and was hoping some of y'all would carry it farther.

Maki and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.