Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #18 + 17 | Page 38 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #18 + 17

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aux

aux

As promised...

DO YOU KNOW (WHAT IT TAKES)

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x7 (@tylerc904, @Cotton Park, @Remorque, @Seventeen Days, @br0dy, @CasuallyCrazed, @djmakemewet, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Cutlery)

@Aidan's score - 3

@aux's score - 6.5

How in the fuck did this make it this far? Look, I like this. I don't love it, but it's okay. There are far better songs on the debut. I really don't have much to say about this song aside from:

My favourite commentary here comes from @LeBratt, who says "You can really hear a lot of the early sounds of the entire Teen pop/R&B in this song. The sound Britney and Christina would perfect a few years later. Those three singles justifies this albums existence alone. She’s always been ahead of her time hasn’t she?" I agree completely, Robyn has always been ahead of the curve and this album is no exception. What I find weird for me is that those "Britney-isms" in her inflections and singing voice (you know exactly which ones I'm talking about), are straight up what Robyn does in the entirety of her debut.

On to the tens, @br0dy compares this to Show Me Love, saying " I always preferred this to Show Me Love - it just has a bit more funk, edge, and attitude, which I suspect is due to Denniz Pop and Herbie Crichlow (whom I stan, largely due to their work with 5ive and Backstreet (along with Max obv.)" Similarly, @Seventeen Days says "This was gonna be a top track from the start, given how big it was. This song takes me back to the late 90s, and all those times I would see this video on MTV. I still want that egg chair, damn it." To be honest, the chair is cool.

Finally, @Maki says "The chorus is really good here. The rest could've been better, though. Again, it's basic and non-interesting, but manages to keep my attention enough to receive an acceptable score."

Now, there are a fuckload of performances and an alternate video, so enjoy.

Tomorrow, we lose a track from Body Talk.​

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    GimmeWork, soratami, Vitamin and 17 others like this.
  2. 44 of them, apparently.

3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

noooooooooo

4. aux

aux

I should mention, with this elimination, Robyn Is Here joins My Truth as the albums with only one track remaining. Show Me Love and Electric respectively.

5. It was about time. A bit mind-boggling how this (and "Show Me Love") managed to outlast all but one song from "My Truth" and some highlights from other albums, including the debut. And looks like my assumption was correct based on the commentary - some of you had a soft spot for this one because of the memories/nostalgia, which immediately boosted its average.
    Oddly enough, I gave this song a score of 6,75 , which is higher than I thought. Maybe it's because it does stand out a bit compared to the other songs from "Robyn Is Here". Still, it's a really bland song.

To sum it all up:

Music Is Life, berserkboi and aux like this.
  6. I love the aesthetic of the older single covers being straight up scans with store labels still on them.

7. I had never watched the video and WHAT THE FUCK those special effects on the floating head are terrible sksksk I love the '90s

8. Mediocre trash x
    Obsessed with the meta crossed out sticker though or is that not part of the actual single cover?

aux and Maki like this.
  9. Honestly devastated.

10. Oh fuck this.

djmakemewet, aux and br0dy like this.
  11. Why don't you all like good pop music?!

djmakemewet and aux like this.
  12. C'mon, "Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do", please leave.

Stopremix and aux like this.
  13. I think @LeBratt hit the nail on the head with Do You Know (What it Takes). It's that classic Max Martin Britney/BSB sound, but pre-Baby One More Time and pre-Larger than Life Discovering it about ten years ago it made sense that Robyn was kind of ahead of the game even back then.

br0dy, Verandi, Music Is Life and 2 others like this.
  14. I'm shocked that Do You Know didn't hang on until the Top 40 but I suppose it being my introduction to Robyn, being hammered on US radio growing up and also being a general junkie for anything 90's Max Martin really skews my perception.

15. aux

aux

Body Talk takes a hit, and unsurprisingly, none of you got this right.

So yes, Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do will die another day.

CRY WHEN YOU GET OLDER

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x5 (@Cotton Park, @Andsov, @LeBratt, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 3 x1 (@Aidan)

@Aidan's score - 3

@aux's score - 7.5

I'm not too crazy about this track, certainly one of the weaker cuts on Body Talk. It reminds me of any other artist trying to impersonate that Robyn sound synth-pop "crying in the dance floor", etc. type of song. In fact, this is something @Cutlery brings up, saying "I kind of dislike the lyrics, the delivery but not the sound (the way this song was the first thing coming to mind the first time I heard Welcome to New York though… Dddd)" @Maki mentions how this sounds like another track, saying "this sounds like a recycled version of 'Fembot', which isn't among my favorites. The chorus is good enough." In the complete opposite, @br0dy says "This really sounds nothing like anything Robyn has done before, or since, in the best possible way."

In some good commentary, @OspreyQueen justifies their 10 says "I’d be giving this a 9 if it weren’t for that amazing second verse which perfectly summarises my stupid dreams of being famous."

This also felt a bit... basic, which a couple of others brought up, @Music Is Life says "Love the chorus melody, and the electronic production is pretty great, but this feels just a tad basic. I also love her voice on this too." and @daninternational comments "Totes Robyn-ish, but a lil basic compared to others on this one."

Tomorrow, we lose the track I alluded to here:
    I am... perched to see what y'all will say.

What track do you think I'm talking about?​

16. I'd guess Send To Robin Immediately.

Untouchable Ace, Verandi and aux like this.
  17. How has Dream On not left yet?

18. aux

aux

You tasteless thot

2014 and Verandi like this.
  19. Considering that even BeachEtc was considered a fan-favourite, it could be anything oop

Music Is Life, Maki and aux like this.
  20. Good, the worst track to come out of the Body Talk era. Should've been out ages ago.

daninternational, Aester and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.