Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #19 | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #19

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Not me pondering if this was the worst track in the rate and still not being in the lowest scorers dddddd.

2. Okay, I did ask for her debut, but this is... a choice.
    Really? "Here We Go" is the weakest out of the 'proper' songs from her debut?
    It's literally my second highest score from "Robyn Is Here" and, apart from "Just Another Girlfriend", any song from that album could've left and I wouldn't be bothered.
    Such a lovely and memorable melody, it's one of the three songs from that album that I can remember in full. Okay, I can see why it has its detractors, but not even reaching top 100 is baffling.

At least "Where Did Our Love Go" was eliminated next, something I can fully agree with, because it is my lowest score from her debut album. One of her most dull and unremarkable moment for sure.
    My full commentary for "Where Did Our Love Go", which received a 5,5 from me:
    For some reason, I thought that would be one of my favorites based on the song title, but it was the complete opposite. It's a good choice they removed this from later editions of the album, because it's the weakest song from her debut. While it grew on me a tiny bit, it goes on for too long and is pretty boring. There's no way I could remember how the verses go, although the chorus is memorable enough. The middle-8 is the part which deserves a bit of a praise - I love the melody there.

Music Is Life, berserkboi and aux like this.
  3. Yesss, my least favorite is out!

4. Oh, so now "Underneath the Heart" leaves, too?
    It's such a precious song that I can't picture anyone giving it a low score with a smile. I gave it a 9 and completely agree with @Seventeen Days and @aux about the delivery, and that heartbeat sound effect is indeed a lovely touch. The Disney comparisons are also apparent, but it's not necessarily a bad thing to me. Again, I understand some of the criticism, but this to be the second worst rated song from "My Truth"?
    Mess.

On a positive side, it's not my 10 that left first.

I thought that "Long Gone", as well as some of the unremarkable songs from the debut, would've been eliminated instead.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    aux likes this.
  5. Hey @aux I gave Where Did Our Love Go an 8.5 with you. I know you’ve got my commentary, but do you have my scores?

aux and Maki like this.
  6. Underneath the Heart wasn't great to begin with, but that heartbeat sound effect made it unbearable for me, it's just so grating. It was one of my three lowest scores.

7. I know the girls love an early ballad cull, but I really hope y'all had enough taste to give Eclipse what she deserves

Mirwais Ahmadzaï, 2014, aux and 2 others like this.
  8. aux

aux

Yep, your scores are here! Just a mixup from our part xx

RUNAWAY and Maki like this.
  9. All I can say so far is that none of those are the two I gave my only 4s to...

Maki and aux like this.
  10. Two eights gone already and we haven't reached double digits yet...

contemplation.gif

11. aux

aux

Prepare Fembots for a double elimination. I'll give you girlies a hint, both tracks are on the same album.

12. poor In My Heart / How

Maki and aux like this.
  13. aux

aux

So which album is about to take a double beating?

RIGHT TIME

[​IMG]

Highest – 9 x1 (@Sprockrooster)

Lowest – 1 x2 (@CasuallyCrazed, @Stopremix)

Meh. I'm genuinely quite ambivalent to this EP, as it's a record that I really have to be in the mood to listen to. Hence why I'm not surprised it's been kicked out so quickly. It's very difficult to write about a song that feels like elements just being thrown in to create an atmosphere, rather than a standard song. I appreciate what it is trying to do, but I won't act like a delusional stan and say this is phenomenal and invented dance music. This song would've worked a lot better with a radio edit, just as all of the three tracks on the EP.

The commentary for this song in particular was... interesting, to put it lightly. @The Hot Rock says, "This song makes me feel like I'm getting chased through a house while going through doors and ending up in nonsensical places like I'm in Scooby-Doo." I don't even know where to start on this comment. @daninternational skipped two minutes into the track per a YouTube comment, and then skipped more. They liked parts of the song, but found it difficult. @soratami simply says "Justice for Sexual Eruption", a track that didn't make the cut for the rate. @RUNAWAY places the song very interestingly, "These instrumentals go absolutely nowhere, and Robyn sounds like she doesn’t even want to be here..."

And on to the next track being eliminated tonight...

With only one other track left on this album, it means the next elimination is...

TRUST ME

[​IMG]

Highest – 9.5 x1 (@KingBruno)

Lowest – 2 x3 (@Andsov, @daninternational, @CasuallyCrazed)

And with this, we say goodbye to the Trust Me EP before we even hit double digits. This also makes it the first album we fully lose. If there is one thing that did not surprise me, is this track in particular doing the best out of the three tracks. It's my personal favourite, and it's the one that the listener can actually understand what she is saying. I should also say, I saw this track doing better than this, but I hadn't realised this EP was that hated.

On to the commentary! @RUNAWAY says "Even Robyn sounds bored out of her mind on this track… Those 10 minutes were definitely not a pleasurable listen." Even as a fan of this track, I can't deny that Robyn sounds brain dead in this track, so I partly agree. @The Hot Rock chips in by saying it's probably a good track to work out to, "Not that my fat ass knows much about that." Can I just say, this, tagged along with your avatar of Yoshi is sending me. @daninternational says "Life is too short for 10 minute tracks" and proceeds to tell a story of when he saw Robyn do a DJ set, and how they held eye contact whilst she played one of her songs. I'm very jealous of that experience. My biggest regret in life is not going to meet her at the two opportunities I had because anxiety got the best of me. Next time, I say.​

14. The quicker the deadweight is gone the better. I honestly have no feeling towards these

15. aux

aux

Speaking of deadweight, tomorrow, one of the post-Robyn albums is about to lose its first track.

16. goodbye to the Odd Track Out on Body Talk...

daninternational likes this.
  17. Bring on the top 99! So far nothing above a 5.5 has gone out for me, but there are a few more 3s left that should be out soon.

aux and Maki like this.
  18. If you're counting the EPs, maybe it's time for Jag vet en dejlig rosa, Bad Gal or Inside the Idle Hour Club to pack their bags

aux, Stopremix and RUNAWAY like this.
  19. It’s way too early for Bad Gal to go.

Aester, Stopremix and aux like this.
  20. Even though I have plenty of lower scores still in, I'm asolutely not bothered by these two Mr. Tophat songs leaving. They received a 7 and 6,75 from me, but, to be honest, I can't even remember how any of them goes. All three are among the longest songs I've ever listened to, so at least it has that.
    However, I didn't expect the whole EP to crash out so soon and barely reach the top 100.

I thought that the debut would have more songs eliminated by now. "Curriculum Vitae" reaching top 100 is a bit unexpected, too.

Hmm... I have an option for each album except for "Honey", but no idea which one could it be. Maybe one of the "Love Is Free" tracks?
    It better not be "Jag vet en dejlig rosa", as that one seems to be overlooked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.