Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #22 | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #22

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Knowing Robyn Is Here is fucked, I am pleased the entire Tophat EP has vacated before most of it.

2. aux

aux

So which post-Robyn album is about lose its first track?

JAG VET EN DEJLIG ROSA

[​IMG]

Highest - 9.5 x2 (@Aester, @Maki)

Lowest - 1x2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @CasuallyCrazed)

Surprising nobody, the first track to leave from the Body Talk trilogy is this. It's the track that feels the most out of place once the acoustic versions are removed, so it's to be expected. The title of the track in English is "I Know A Rose So Fair" and it's a cover of a traditional Swedish song, with stunning lyrics might I add:

Personally, I'm not crazy about this track, mainly because it feels quite detached from Body Talk as whole. Body Talk is electric, and this simply isn't. It's a fine moment, that harkens back to the earlier albums, so I admire that, but it doesn't make the track any better I'm afraid. I'm still baffled at her decision of including it and the acoustic versions on the vinyl reissue of Body Talk.

@Maki, who is one of our highest scorers says it's "Very sad and emotionally sung, it was hard to believe that the lyrics aren't devastating at all." which I agree, her vocal delivery on this is truly special. @daninternational also feels this way, saying "her voice is so cute in Swedish still." @Seventeen Days really liked this track, saying "Robyn doesn’t seem to do many songs in Swedish, but I love the few times when she does. The jazzy style of this really suits her."

On the other spectrum, a lot of people did not like this, and the commentary (and scores) really show it:

@br0dy says "sorry Robyn, but it's really hard to get into such a sparse track when it is in Swedish."

@Cutlery says "The little Björk in our Scandiqueen jumped OUT. But, truth be told, it should have stayed back IN."

My fellow co-host, @Aidan, says "God, please no more of this Robyn".

@Andsov really sums the argument for this song for me, by saying "Very sweet, but I can’t use this".​

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. *sigh* I was really hoping for Dancehall Queen.

RUNAWAY and aux like this.
  4. Finally a 4 of mine went.

Untouchable Ace and aux like this.
  5. [​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

I feared this was going to happen...

Okay, it's obviously very far removed from the rest of "Body Talk", but that doesn't make "Jag vet en dejlig rosa" any less of a gorgeous song. I blame the way of releasing the song (i.e. not being a stand-alone release) for its very early and undeserving elimination.
    I guess most of the voters and I love the completely different musical sides of Robyn (which I expect to be the case for the majority of the rate). For example, only three songs from "Body Talk" received higher scores than "Jag vet en dejlig rosa" from me.
    Full commentary:
    Seems like I'm a sucker for Robyn singing ballads in Swedish; first "Regntunga Skyar" and now this. Very sad and emotionally sung, it was hard to believe that the lyrics aren't devastating at all. I've listened to/seen her 2005 performance of this song, and it's as equally as gorgeous. I can't give it full marks, because it's the only obvious cover we're rating here.

Anyways, there's so much worse here (including many songs from post-"Robyn" albums) that it's a bit baffling too see this little gem leave so soon.

Also, I'm worried... I was among the highest scorers two times so far and @Music Is Life wasn't at all.

8. Nn @aux you keep tagging the wrong person in the rate. It’s @Maki not @Mikal

evilsin, Music Is Life, aux and 3 others like this.
  9. Not on my watch/score.

aux, Aester, soratami and 1 other person like this.
  10. NOT my favorite song from that album!

aux, Verandi and soratami like this.
  11. Of course.

RUNAWAY, Maki and aux like this.
  12. aux

aux

Are you ready for another one girls?

kii

fff

ñnn

REGNTUNGA SKYAR

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x2 (@Sprockrooster, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 1x3 (@Verandi, @Hurricane Drunk, @CasuallyCrazed)

And the first loss from Don't Stop The Music comes from a hidden track, I'm not surprised once again. It is another cover, except this time, instead it being a traditional Swedish track, this comes from a Swede musical film from the 1940s. This was incredibly divisive, as seen in the highest and lowest scores. It seems like a track you either adore or hate.

On the negative, @Aidan says "I don’t know how many more of these I can take" and on a similar note, @Verandi says "Nope nope nope sorry". I think @OspreyQueen sums the negative argument best "Yeah, I don’t come to Robyn for jazz. If anything I come to her to get AWAY from jazz."

On the middle ground, @Seventeen Days comments "Robyn goes swing! I’m not super in love with this, but her vocals are pretty damn good." @daninternational questioned the effort it was to get a hold of this song, saying they're not sure if it was worth it.

On the positive side, @RUNAWAY says "Amazing, absolutely amazing. Her voice is gorgeous on this song too. I honestly would be here for an album like this from her, but that will most likely never happen." I'm not sure if I'd love an album from her of just this, Robyn doing a Cheek To Cheek type album would be interesting though, as she does have a fantastic voice; but as @OspreyQueen said, I don't go to Robyn for jazz. @Sprockrooster says "This is such a fantastic throwback feel. Fantastic." And @LeBratt says "This is lovely. I love her takes on standards."

And finally, on the "I don't know if this is good or bad", @evilsin says "Why am I suddenly in a cabaret with a scotch in my hand? I don’t even like scotch that much."
    Fff I just copy and paste what you send me

13. I guess...
    what I'm really trynna say is...

Every woman has a breaking point y'all

Catch this free promo @soratami. You're welcome.

14. Oh, wow. Basically, everything I already said about "Jag vet en dejlig rosa" applies to "Regntunga Skyar".
    It even received the same score from me (9,5) and here's the comment I wrote for it:
    Wow, a lovely rendition of this already beautiful song. Stunning orchestral arrangement. Very rare occurence to hear Robyn sing in a jazzy manner, and she did more than a good job at that. My only remark is that certain parts could've been cut out. Either way, this shouldn't be overlooked just because it isn't her conventional style.
    Where's my commentary in the elimination post, @aux? lol

I thought that this one would do considerably better than it did, but oh well...
    Thanks for displaying taste, @Sprockrooster and @RUNAWAY.

Some of the "Robyn Is Here" and "My Truth" filler has to leave soon.

15. aux

aux

I don’t include everyone’s comments so there’s some variety on the commentators every post, don’t worry. There’s 38 voters, it’d be impossible for me to include everyone’s commentary into every single elimination xx

16. That's cause I haven't yet haha.
    Speaking of which, here they are:
    Robyn Is Here: 7.75 - Highest: 1x10 Lowest: 2x6.5s
    My Truth: 7.63 - Highest: 1x10 Lowest: 2x6s
    Don't Stop The Music: 8.83 - Highest: 3x10s Lowest: 1x6.5
    Robyn: 9.33 - Highest: 7x10s Lowest: 1x8
    Body Talk: 8.98 - Highest: 5x10s Lowest: 1x6
    Do It Again: 8.25 - Highest: 1x10 Lowest: 1x6
    Love Is Free: 8.95 - Highest: 4x9s Lowest: 1x8.75
    Honey: 9.67 - Highest: 1x11, 5x10s Lowest: 1x7.5
    Extras: 7.71 Highest: 2x10s Lowest: 1x6
    Dddd that was my lowest Body Talk score. My comment said, "I just can't sit through this more than once."

evilsin, aux, Maki and 2 others like this.
  17. I loved the musical style of Regntunga Skyar and hoped it would do a bit better. There are still several dud tracks hanging around from the first two albums after all.

I did feel a little bad for scoring Jag so low (4.5) after I looked up the translated lyrics.

Maki and daninternational like this.
  18. I think you might be my Robyn rate twin, because everything you've said about both songs is exactly what I want to say. I can't believe these two are out already! I mean, I know anything vaguely jazzy always does terrible in these rates (and I'm always lamenting that), but these are so lovely and there's soooo much worse still here.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  19. Can't believe some of the fooder outlasting these two, but turns out dark horses are just lame horses

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.