Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #22 | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #22

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. You've Got That Somethin is a cute little bop, much better than Do You Really Want Me, in my opinion.

Maki and aux like this.
  2. aux

aux

Good evening ladies, I hope you're ready for tonight's eliminations

[​IMG]

THE LAST TIME

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x2 (@OspreyQueen, @djmakemewet)

Lowest - 2 x1(@Andsov)

The debut lashings continue. It's a shame because this is one of the few standouts from the debut, a great song. I wish more of the debut was like this. @The Hot Rock seems to agree, saying "If the full album was more like this I'd probably like it a lot more." @OspreyQueen, one of our highest scorers with a ten, says "Man, I was expecting a few basic pop songs at best from this album. I had no idea it had gorgeous dusky bops like this."

@RUNAWAY questions the tracks placement in the album, saying "this song really kind of brings the mood down after the rush that is the previous track, but it’s still good." My fellow co-host, @Aidan, says "this is decent enough from a dire album". @Cutlery praises the production, commenting "The production is one of the better ones of this juvenilia album; the other elements in here aren't very good though."

The next track out literally has a 0.001 point difference. This rate was tight. ​

3. The Last Time is a stone-cold JAM.

Y'all have done it so dirty.

nooniebao, Maki, Aester and 5 others like this.
  4. aux

aux

Speaking of tracks being done dirty...

CRY EVERYTHING

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@Vitamin)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

How in the fuck could someone give this a... 1? Girl... @CasuallyCrazed turn on location, I just want to talk. This is excellent. Cry Everything is groovy, slick and to me, her best Kindness collaboration. I'm really surprised this is leaving so early, especially before The Warning - the other Kindness collaboration from this album.

@LeBratt seems to feel the same way I do, saying "Such a banger. I love Kindness and Robyn together, they feel like a perfect match." And yes, Kindness and Robyn are such an excellent match. I hope they eventually work on their alleged joint EP. @Aidan also seems to agree, commenting "This is an excellent bop."

On the other side of the scale, @daninternational says "If we hadn't got Honey I might have forced myself to appreciate this more", and @Maki comments "I like the organic, almost tribal, vibe going on here, although the song isn't anything spectacular. Their voices sound great, though."

5. I kinda liked the song but it also came after the super highs of me shuffling Body Talk/Robyn/Honey, so I could only muster a 6 for it

Maki and aux like this.
  6. CasuallyCrazed likes this.
  7. aux

aux

88 DAYS

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@djmakemewet)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

I frankly can't say much here, as @RUNAWAY puts it, "don’t have much to say here sadly. I want to bop, but then remember what the song is about lyrically." It's a really bizarre juxtaposition, which Robyn would make a staple of her career out of in the future, but here, the subject matter is a bit too much for me to consider a "sad banger" since it feels out of place. I do think it's a fantastic song, but I rarely go back to it due to the nature of the song - similarly to "Giving You Back".

For those unaware, this song is about an abortion Robyn had at 18. In the US, her PR team at RCA tried to hide this, by saying she had a miscarriage. Her record label in the States, RCA, asked Robyn to re-record both '88 Days' and 'Giving You Back' due to their clear lyrics about the abortion, and Robyn downright refused and stood her ground. This meant that My Truth would never be released in the US, or anywhere else but Sweden. Thankfully, somehow, My Truth was made available through streaming a couple of years ago, which is excellent news.

@evilsin says "A slight island feel and the backing vocals are what is the most memorable about this for me." @Seventeen Days comments "Old school R&B style, oh yes. I’m jamming to this one." @Maki praises the lyrics, saying "Maki- Along with "Giving You Back", this is the best example of lyrical growth of this album". ​

8. Are you kidding me? Cry Everything not even making top 80? Y’all a mess.

Aester, Cotton Park and aux like this.
  9. aux

aux

I know. Next time I see @CasuallyCrazed and @Stopremix, it's on sight.

Music Is Life, Maki, Aester and 4 others like this.
  10. [​IMG]

soratami, Music Is Life, Maki and 4 others like this.
  11. The FUCK???? The Last Time is literally her best early-career song.

Maki, aux, abael and 3 others like this.
  12. Anyone else get a slight vibe of Alicia Keys' Mr. Man from 88 Days?

aux likes this.
  13. The Last Time is brilliant, worst loss so far.

OspreyQueen, Maki, Stopremix and 3 others like this.
  14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I hope The Warning stays in a lot longer!!! Cry Everything is my worst loss yet.

15. Cry Everything and 88 Days? WTF?

I'm going to take a deep breath and hope the other Kindness songs, and Giving You Back, don't suffer the same fate.

Maki likes this.
  16. Welp.
    Even though I'm not too bothered by "The Last Time", it definitely deserved better. There's something about it that makes it stand out and there are much worse songs still in. I gave it a 7,5 and here's my full commentary:
    I always forget that this track exists, although when I listen to it, it's great. The 'great' mostly refers to the middle-8 and the instrumental. The 'cold' and almost monotonous delivery in the chorus works and adds something new to the album. It's really nice to hear Robyn's lower register here, as well as her ad-libs after the middle-8.

It's quite odd that its elimination caused some reactions (and I'm a bit surprised it managed to hold on until the top 90, actually), while "Just Another Girlfriend" and "Here We Go" were done downright wrong. The ballads are actually my favorite thing about her debut, so it's a pity to see them leave one by one.

I've listened to all of the Kindness collaborations only two or three times, and that was a few days before I sent my scores, so they didn't really have time to grow on me and the scores weren't really accurate. Listening to it again, "Cry Everything" is really good, but my score of 7,25 still remains and doesn't change much at all.
    More than a few songs from the extras should've left before it, though.

And "88 Days" shouldn't be out yet. It's a beautiful song with touching lyrics and lovely harmonies.
    I agree with @evilsin mentioning the 'island' feel, which is a recurring theme and one of my favorite things about the album, in fact. "88 Days" received a 8,25 from me and here's full commentary:
    Along with "Giving You Back", this is the best example of lyrical growth of this album. This is one of those songs that I can't even recall how it goes, but when I listen to it, it's great. It sounds like a morning sunshine. Not brilliant by any means, because the verses come and go, but there's something about the melody and the delivery, especially in the chorus, which I sympathize with and it boosts the score. Backing vocals also deserve a mention. Also, I love the 'violin riff' (is that a thing?) and the general use of string instruments, it's interestingly done.

Out of the songs from "My Truth", I would've chosen "Not On the Inside" and "My Only Reason" to leave instead.

To be honest, I didn't expect the last three eliminations to cause so many meltdowns.

17. aux

aux

MY ONLY REASON

[​IMG]

Highest - 9 x2 (@abael, @RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 1.5 x1 (@Stopremix)

I apologise in advance sistren, your host is slightly drunk whilst posting these eliminations, so sorry for the possible mistakes.

Fun fact, this was released as a single on the day I was born. It was also a flop, unlike me, it charted for one week at 53 in the Swedish charts. This is a cute moment, I certainly don't hate it, but as with a lot of her early material, I don't love it. I certainly like the chorus, but the verses are nothing special. @Maki raises this point as well, saying "the verses aren't impressive and drag the song down."

@LeBratt praises the song, commenting "I love the chorus on this song, and she sounds truly in love. I think this album just shows how versatile she is." I agree, especially with Robyn's versatility being stretched in this album. It's not exactly miles ahead of the debut in its sound, but lyrically it's certainly stronger and the variety in sounds is highlighted.

@Untouchable Ace says "It's just so not her." Debatable, I think looking at it from our point of view, in 2019, where she has more than two albums, sure, I see it, but I try to approach the track in the context of its release.

And @RUNAWAY, one of our highest scorers, says "another great 90s r&b moment from Robyn." It's not excellent, but it's nice. Her voice shines here, and it works great as single from this record.

Up next, we are about to lose two extras, but which ones could it be?​

18. Sayonara, Mr Tophat!

(wait, didn't all three of those already get booted?)

Maki and aux like this.
  19. My Only Reason is the first track I'm a bitsy sad to see go.

aux likes this.
  20. Poor Mabel's mum.

daninternational, nikkysan and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.