Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #25 | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #25

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. And we're back...

91. Robyn Is Here 5.941

[​IMG]

10x1 (@RUNAWAY)

1x (@Stopremix)

@Cutlery : She makes her name known, love that. It's subdued in sound and tone, so much that it becomes lackluster.

@Maki : this is my least favorite out of the songs from her debut. I must admit that the chorus is quite adorable, though. Also, it's a bit odd they put her 'introduction' song at the very end of the tracklist.

@evilsin : Another classy moment that just as smooth as silk

@Ospery Queen : The law of self-titled songs always being disasters obviously doesn’t apply to Robyn

@RUNAWAY: I’m still kind of stunned to this day that this album has a title track, and it’s perfection. Yeah, it’s long but what a statement saying yeah I’m Robyn, you may not know me, but I’M HERE.

90. Inside The Idle Hour Club- 5.957

[​IMG]

Highest 10x2 (@OsperyQueen, @djmakemewet)

Lowest 1x2 (@Verandi, @CasuallyCrazed, )

@daninternational - Why's it gotta be so long? I have the attention span of a Eurovision fan and Vine millenial. It's much more Röyksopp than Robyn, and while they have nice stuff, I wouldn't participate in a Röyksopp rate

@The Hot Rock: This only gets a bit of a lower score because of the lack of Robyn vocally. I love it still.

@sfmartin: Some really cool instrumental moments but overlong.

@Seventeen Days i’m into the concept of bookending this EP with matching atmospheric tracks. This one is very ambient feeling, and I’m digging it.

@Osperyqueen: A 10 minute song that actually justifies its length? In this rate? It’s more likely than you think. This song is so enigmatic and painfully beautiful despite containing no lyrics at all. I don’t even notice how long it is when I listen because I always get so immersed in its world​

2. I'm honestly surprised Inside the Idle Hour Club didn't go a few eliminations ago. That better be it from Do It Again for a long time or someone will pay.

[​IMG]

3. I love "Inside The Idle Hour Club" but I'm also surprised it lasted this long. I figured it would go the way of the Mr. Tophat songs. I'm glad it hung on for a bit.

Maki and OspreyQueen like this.
    ohnostalgia, lehnw01, 2014 and 12 others like this.
  5. Two fair eliminations, they got 5.75 and 5 from me respectively

My comment for Idle Hour Club:
    I love me a long track but this doesn't even have vocals and meanders too much in its (frankly tedious) runtime. A shame because separately, there are some interesting ideas scattered here and there.

Maki likes this.
  6. I hope the fact Inside The Idle Hour Club lasted as long as it did bodes well for the rest of the EP

abael, ohnostalgia, Maki and 3 others like this.
  7. Wow. The title track should have gone further for sure.

Also, I’ve been keeping the spotify playlist updated with the most recent elimination on top. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stopremix, Maki, aux and 4 others like this.
  8. I gave Inside the Idle Hour Club a 7.5 - is this an incorrect tag?

Maki likes this.
  9. Oh yeah, sorry about that

Maki, aux and djmakemewet like this.
  10. "Robyn Is Here" is one of the eliminations I was anticipating. I gave it a 5,75 and here's my full commentary:
    This is a great choice for the title track. Why? Because it sums up my thoughts about this album and the album itself: Cute track, catchy/memorable chorus and bland verses. I noticed that verses are so forgettable, almost non-existent, for the vast majority of this album; it almost sounds like they were ad-libbed, and that is most apparent in this song. It all feels one-dimensional, from the production and instrumental to melodies and some of the vocal delivery. Unfortunately, this is my least favorite out of the songs from her debut. I must admit that the chorus is quite adorable, though. Also, it's a bit odd they put her 'introduction' song at the very end of the tracklist.

Yeah, it's cute, but its time to leave was already overdue.

I had no expectations about "Idle Hour Club". I guess it's one of those songs that I really like, but not care much about. Even though there are much worse songs still in, I'm absolutely not bothered by it leaving, because of its instrumental nature. It received an 8 from me and I further explained my thoughts in the commentary:
    I had a hard time rating this fully instrumental song (featuring only Robyn's vocalizations for not even a minute and without any lyrics). The instrumentation reminds me of "Every Little Thing", which is a great thing. In fact, I literally ad-libbed a new song to it, because it goes on for so long.

Based on the fact that the longer songs are taking a hit early, "Good Thang" may be in danger (but I wouldn't care at all if it did end up eliminated soon).

11. aux

aux

And back to our regular scheduled programming...

CURRICULUM VITAE (FEAT. SWINGFLY)

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x3 (@Andsov, @LeBratt, @djmakemewet)

Lowest - 1 x4 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @ohnostalgia, @Hurricane Drunk, @CasuallyCrazed)

This is the second track lost from her eponymous album, it is also the intro to the album. Okay, so from the start, it was clear people didn't know how to rate this - hell, neither did I - so I just rated it on how effective it was an introduction to the album. It's pretty bizarre and quirky, which encapsulates how some of the tracks on this album are. I quite like it, since it showcases this funny side of Robyn we barely see. To me, this is also the moment we see Robyn take her career in a direction she wants, quite literally taking the listener on this narrative herself through the spoken word intro, showing us how she is the boss now.

@Andsov, who is one of our three tens, says "Amazing intro to an amazing album. Turn it the fuck up. Robyn is here." Turn it the fuck up indeed. Our other ten scorer comments "How can you not give this is a 10? This is the perfect way to start the rebirth of your career. Amazing." As I mentioned earlier, it is the best way of showing how she is now in control of her career, and I fucking love the song just for that.

@Maki comments on their struggle rating the song, saying "I have no idea how to rate this one. In the end, I gave it both a 0 and a 10 and divided it by two. Really, I can't properly rate this among all the songs, but it's surely a great and interesting intro. And I find it hilarious how she slams the phone right after saying 'Do it!'"

@Cutlery says "The personality. The badassery. The way of commanding a room. I wish her talking was more in the actual intro, but I nonetheless feel that this quirky, self-referential skit is needed for the album. Especially being followed by one of her silliest songs." On a similar note, our fellow co-host simply posts this:

12. Curriculum Vitae deserves a 10 for

She is listed in Section 202 of the United Nations Security Act of 1979 as being toohottoweartightsweatersONINTERNATIONALAIRSPACE alone.

The fact that the ominous voice runs out of breath gets me every single time.

And yes, my 10 went for how well this track functions as an album intro - it perfectly introduces us to the cartoonish, sometimes silly, sometimes braggy (but deservingly so) tone for the album. I also feel it goes perfectly leading into Konichiwa Bitches - seems odd to me that the original trackkisting followed it with Who's That Girl.

13. Yeah, this one was a struggle.
    It's quite surprising to me that it managed to reach the top 100, let alone have an average score above 6.

As for the stats, "Curriculum Vitae" was my lowest score in the entire rate, getting a 5.
    If it wasn't obligatory, I wouldn't have rated it. Honestly, it kind of isn't fair for it to be put along the proper songs here, because, in my opinion, the thoughts of intros/outros can only be expressed through the commentary, not by actual scores (in cases like these).

And while it is a very creative and excellent intro, for all of the reasons that the other voters have mentioned, I just can't cope with it being included in this rate.
    Sorry for sounding like a snob.

berserkboi and aux like this.
  14. aux

aux

And to keep catching up, here's another one sistren

MONDAY MORNING

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@Sprockrooster)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Stopremix)

This is nothing out of the ordinary, but she's a cute girl. It's really chill, pushed mainly by the smooth guitar. It feels a bit like an interlude before Giving You Back and 88 Days, at least that's how I've always felt about it. She's just there to me, and it seems like everyone else feels the same way just judging by the commentary. @RUNAWAY literally just said "cute." which I agree with. @The Hot Rock says "Kinda like the more pop-rock vibe this album takes on at times like on this song. It's something completely different from any of her earlier or later work." Our highest scorer, @Sprockrooster, says this is "a great discovery!"

@br0dy says it reminds them of this En Vogue track:

Which I completely see, @br0dy makes sure to say they mean this comparison "in a good way". (I haven't heard this song in yeaaaars)​

15. Curriculum Vitae is good but I could only give it a 7. Monday Morning is perfectly average/dull and thus got a 5 from me.

berserkboi, aux and Maki like this.
  16. aux

aux

And to finish off for tonight, here's one last one...

YOU'VE GOT THAT SOMETHING

[​IMG]

Highest - 9 x1 (@LeBratt, @djmakemewet)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Stopremix)

And the debut continues to haemorrhage tracks! This is a very interesting track, as this is Robyn's debut single. She was fifteen when she recorded it and when it came out. In Sweden, the single peaked at #24 and in the UK at #54. This is Robyn's birth as an artist, and it is mental comparing this to her latest single; what a journey.

The track itself is alright, I don't really have any major feelings towards it. It fits perfectly in the debut, and works well as Robyn's debut single. It obviously does not have the same oomph that Show Me Love has, but Show Me Love hadn't been recorded yet, so it makes sense why this was the lead.

@Cutlery says "The small synthy/strings moment before the chorus is quite pretty, but that bit of goodwill is tarnished by that hideous guitar melody and the random horns."

Our highest scorer, @LeBratt, comments "I know some people probably see this as filler, but I love that funky guitar together with that infectious chorus hook. And those backing vocals! It’s just a fun, laid back funky bop." I will agree, it's fun! It's not meant to be anything else, and it suits Robyn's voice very well too.

@evilsin says "This is pretty nice, but it has a bit of that sugary pop feel to it that I don’t always dig."

@Seventeen Days says "This song is giving me 'Motown but make it modern', and I’m all for that." I did get some Jackson 5 vibes out of the song, which I think came from the backing vocals, or maybe I'm just out on a tangent.​

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  17. Stanning my no-comment 1's, 1's, 1's across the board for the various dirges in her back catalogue. Off you pop!

But y’all did Curriculum Vitae dirty and should apologize for the harm you’ve caused.

18. As my CV commentary didn't make the cut, just a shout out for Melodifestivalen royalty Swingfly popping up on this rate. I'd have never expected it, but it makes so much sense!

19. I'm perfectly fine with the last two eliminations.
    Both "Monday Morning" and "You've Got That Somethin'" received a 6,5 from me, and were among the lowest scores from both album

"Monday Morning" is too bland in comparison to the rest of the album (which most of us agreed on) and was one of my lowest scores from "My Truth". Full commentary:
    A typical Billy Mann production at the time - the guitars, mixed with subtle strings, which sounds quite beautiful here. However, the song is a bit bland, but manages to gets going a bit in the chorus. There's a non-defined feeling here (it's neither happy nor sad) which puts me off a bit. On the other hand, that odd music instrument in the chorus amuses me for some reason. And I love that they added the alarm sound here, as well as Robyn's whispering near the end.

And @br0dy's comparison really makes sense, I just listened to that En Vogue song and it does sound similar.

"You've Got That Somethin' " is a song I thought would unfairly last longer because it was a single, but, luckily, it didn't.
    Full commentary:
    One of the songs that prove that I'm not that fond of the singles from this album. Very generic 90's track, with bland verses and cute and catchy chorus, which becomes a bit too repetitive near the end. To my own surprise, I like the backing vocals here.

So, yeah, it's nice, but I don't care much for it at all.
    Is that the first single eliminated or does "Don't Want You Back" count?

Speaking of debut album, I'm surprised that "The Last Time" is still in, considering how (wrong) some of the ballads were done. It's one of the better songs from the album, I'm pleased to see that it's not eliminated yet.
    Also, "Do You Really Want Me (Show Respect)" should leave soon.

20. You've Got That Somethin' was a pleasant discovery for me during this rate (technically a rediscovery, but...). I think it's the horns and call-and-response backing vocals that do it for me and the buildup to the chorus is pretty irresistible.

Also, not to be that guy twice two days in a row, but I also scored it a 9.

RUNAWAY, Cotton Park, Verandi and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.