Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #43 | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate - #43

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I hope you're talking about much later! Blow My Mind is one of the early songs I'm really rooting for

Burzum, Music Is Life, Maki and 3 others like this.
  2. Blow My Mind and the Don’t Stop The Music-version of Should’ve Known Deserve to go far in this rate, I just hope some of the biases against the earlier albums haven’t hindered them.

3. I think Blow My Mind got the highest non single score out of the first three albums.

4. It's what she deserves.

5. Some of those recent elimination could have stuck a little bit more, but it's not surprising that they are going now.

Maki likes this.
  6. The strings are the star of the show on O Baby, especially the sweep from the second verse into the chorus. I also love the odd production choice of burying dialogue (?) deep in the track during its instrumental.

Cotton Park, Maki and aux like this.
  7. aux

aux

As we reach the Top 80, I wanted to remind people of the 27 tracks we have lost...

And the next double elimination are both from the same album... but from which one?

Could it be the debut again?

More album tracks from My Truth?

A triple loss from Don't Stop The Music?

A single from Robyn?

One of the Body Talk album tracks?

The collaboration EP, Love Is Free?

Will Honey finally lose a track?

HEALTHY LOVE (FEAT. CINDY)

[​IMG]

Highest - 9.25 x1 (@Maki)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@Stopremix)

Certainly one of the standouts from this album, I really like the production, it's buttery smooth. @Maki really says everything about how I feel about this track, commenting "Another track that's one of my favorites from this album. It takes a while to grow on you, but once it hits that chorus, it's amazing. The featured artist doesn't add much, but her voice definitely compliments the sonic vibe they're going for. There are some hint's of late R&B music, which is great."

A couple of people praised the duet aspect of this track, saying "Chill and makes for an easy listen. Their voices sound good together." (@Cutlery) and "I’ve no idea who Cindy is but I like to imagine it's the one off Hollyoaks. Works good as a duet," (@daninternational). And there seems to be a running theme with people not knowing who Cindy is - I don't know either. @RUNAWAY comments "20 years later I still don’t know who Cindy is, but this song is cute."

Onto the next track from My Truth...

MY TRUTH

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 2.25 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

I really dig this, I love the lyrics in particular. It is the perfect title track for the album. All that said, I'm not too fussed about it leaving. You will see how later on, the closer we get to #1, how I'll get annoyed about certain tracks leaving too early and others outlasting their welcome. With this track, I think it's okay.

Our highest score comes from @RUNAWAY, who says "Total statement. She did that two albums in a row. The lyrics to this song are stellar." I agree completely about the lyrics. @Music Is Life comments "This is very cute, but basic early 00s pop.", @Maki also seems to like it, saying "Very nice title track, I wish the chorus, while memorable, had something more to it, though." @daninternational isn't too fussed about it, saying "it's got potential but lacks a bit of magic." and @Andsov questions the album as a whole, saying "I thought this album was a bigger departure from Robyn is Here. It’s still sort of RnB and Soul-lite and I just don’t feel much."​

8. Gone? Yes.
    Not forgotten?

[​IMG]

Always so professional tho x

9. "O Baby" is incredibly cute and I put it in the same category as "Underneath the Heart" in terms of cuteness, so it's a shame to see it leave so early. My score for it is 8,75 and the full commentary:
    Cuteness in this song is undeniable. It flows so nicely and her delivery is lovely. The chorus melody is beautiful and reminds me of one song that I'll mention later. I love the fact that she did the similar thing on "My Truth" - putting an adorable and more stripped-down ballad as a third song on the tracklist ("Undearneath the Heart" being the song I'm referring to). The strings are always welcome, of course.

Looking back, it could've been worse.
    It's really nice to see that several voters gave it a 10, as I consider it one of the album highlights.
    The song I mentioned it reminds me of is this big local hit, specifically the line 'you're making that mistake oh why...' in the chorus:

"Healthy Love" is also gone too early, one of my faves from "My Truth". The chorus is so infectious and the production is superb. A bit surprised that I'm the only high scorer for it with a 9,25. The continuation of my commentary contains slight criticism, which resulted in a slightly lower score:
    It can get a bit repetitive near the end, but they are repeating my fave part, so it can't be annoying. Also, it misses a proper middle-8, although remains one of the best from "My Truth".

And "My Truth" works perfectly as the title-track, because it contains all the elements of the album's sound and does it in a great way, as well as presents the lyrical growth. I gave it a 8,25 and the the full commentary confirms that I love the song thematically:
    Very nice title track. The lyrics are quite wise and are a great presentation of growth in comparison to the debut. I especially love the middle-8 here, she deliver it beautifully. The various sound effects scattered across the are a nice addition. I wish the chorus, while memorable, had something more to it, though.

I'm expecting (and hoping) "Not on the Inside" to leave soon. The same can be said for "Good Thang", which I almost forgot is still in and it succeeded my expectations to see that it's still hanging on.

soratami and Music Is Life like this.
  10. Not On The Inside is one of her pre-Robyn highlights so hopefully it doesn't.

Verandi and Maki like this.
  11. I never thought it was that good, but I can hear why the more uptempo vibe may sound appealing to someone. Re-listening to it now, and the chorus really is great.
    "Main Thing", though, deserves all the praise.

All of my 10's (and 11) made the top 80 - yay! I'm expecting it to go downhill now for some reason.

Also, @Music Is Life not being among the highest scorers after 30(!) eliminations is shocking, at least to me.

12. It's mainly the guitar that does it for me. The rest of the early records tends to drag, and there are so many bland and samey R&B songs I can take in one go. In comparison this one is like a slight refresher.

Maki likes this.
  13. aux

aux

Let's keep going ladies

OUT OF THE BLACK

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@RUNAWAY)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

Stunning synths, beautiful synths. I really dig this, but Robyn really feels out of place, especially since Neneh sounds at home. It is quite a great accomplishment that Robyn and Neneh Cherry managed to collaborate, as Robyn is a huge fan of her. The production is really the highlight here, the organic drums mixed in with these outlandish synths - especially during the bride - whew, invented music. As @daninternational says "Yes Neneh!"

Our highest scorer today is - surprise - @RUNAWAY, who gave this a ten. They comment, "where has this song been all my life? I honestly thought I was a Neneh fan but I must have completely missed that she collabed with Robyn. This song is a fantastic moment from two of my favorite women in music."

@Maki raises my biggest problem with this track, which is how forgettable the verses are. They say "I can't even recall if I ever heard this, which proves how forgettable it is. The verses are likeable, but the chorus sounds a bit off. Also, I don't really like how their voices sound together." @OspreyQueen did not like this, saying "Definitely not my favourite song from the Cherry lineage."

And for those unaware of Miss Neneh Cherry's work, here's a banger better than this song. She is @Vasilios approved.

14. Me too actually! I really thought I would lose a 10 from the first three albums by now, but apparently for once, my tastes line up with most voters.

soratami, Maki and aux like this.
  15. the Neneh song was kinda awful to me, it sounded like a straight-up parody

Maki likes this.
  16. aux

aux

Good morning ladies! Here's an early elimination for a change

GOOD THANG

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@Ana Raquel)

Lowest - 2 x2 (@daninternational, @KingBruno)

One of Robyn's first steps into dance music, produced by "Little Louie" Vega, a close friend of Robyn. This was the b-side to the single Play, from My Truth. I really like this, I'm a sucker for this kind of track. She's groovy, slick and Robyn sounds phenomenal. I don't mind the length, as I love long ass tracks *stares, salivating at Venice Bitch by Lana Del Rey* but this clearly was an issue for some.

@Aidan comments "this really didn’t have to be that long," similarly @daninternational says "and it's over 7 minutes long? ugh no". @OspreyQueen brings up the issue as well, saying "I just…don’t get the logic behind making basic bops like this so long. Never have I listened to a simple average-length pop song and thought “I’d like this even more if it had an extra three minutes of the exact same thing."

@Cutlery also comments on its length, saying "This sounds dated but it's cute to these ears. It's four minutes too long for its own good though." @Maki simply says "It's a 'good thang' they left this as a B-side, because this is forgettable for an uptempo song"

Damn, I guess I am on my own with this one nn, or maybe not, @Seventeen Days comments "Ohhhh yes girl, hit me with those disco vibes! Go figure that this was a b-side, as it’s a total bop."​

17. Good Thang is so damn groovy. I can see the criticisms over its length as the "song" part is basically over at about the halfway point but there's still plenty to enjoy in the latter half with the adlibs and breakdown. And that groove.

Unlike the Mr. Tophat tracks, where I felt like I could only let them pass me by, I could absolutely get into Good Thang. So much so, in fact, that I actually bought a CD single of Play so I could have Good Thang in my iTunes library. Yes, I'm old.

soratami, abael, tylerc904 and 4 others like this.
  18. This is the first track that I really think is leaving too early. I hope Main Thing sticks around a lot longer!

aux and Maki like this.
  19. Two eliminations I can get behind.

The Neneh Cherry collaboration is forgettable, although I like that production. Expected it to leave even earlier.
    I gave it a 6, since it has some redeemable moments, but sounds so... empty.

And I honestly didn't expect "Good Thang" to receive as much love as it does, but the disco influences surely added to that. The overall vibe is great, as well as the production, although it doesn't do much for me melodically. I don't mind the song length in general, but when it sounds like the song should finish at about half of its length, it can become a bore.
    My score for it is 6,25 (one of the lowest from "My Truth") and here's the full commentary:
    It's a 'good thang' they left this as a B-side, because this is forgettable for an uptempo song. I like the production and the middle-8 is a nice little moment, but this sounds like a remix of a song. Needless to say, it goes on for too long.

Can't say that I underscored it, but it is surely better than some of the songs still hanging on.

Yes! It should absolutely belong to the top 3 of that album - I will riot if that doesn't happen.

soratami, Music Is Life and aux like this.
  20. This is the first elimination I hate. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abael and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.