Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aux

aux

Is it time for the culling of covers?

Maybe.

Jack U Off

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x2 (@ohnostalgia, @OspreyQueen)

Lowest - 1 x2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Untouchable Ace)

My feelings about this song can simply be described by this video. Another cover leaves the rate, surprising absolutely no one. It doesn't help that this cover doesn't hold a candle to Prince's original, which is something @LeBratt mentions, saying "Sorry but this is not it. This has nothing on the original, and I don’t feel like this is part of the album". This is also the first song to leave from the self-titled album, so far, the only albums that haven't lost a single track are Love Is Free, Do It Again and Honey. Wig.

@OspreyQueen, who gave this a ten says, "Yes, this is a troll score just to draw attention to myself. What of it?" Well, guess what Mimi, you got your attention. On an unironic note, @Andsov says "I was obsessed with this one for a while. It’s still quite fun."

@Cutlery says that this is an "underwhelming" cover, but the "old ass film/radio vibe of the mixing elevates it," on the other hand, @br0dy counters the weird mix by saying "I'm all for some low-brow humour, but the lo-fi production isn't doing this any favours." @RUNAWAY follows this train of thought, "Don’t understand the point of why she covered this song…it’s cute or whatever."

@Seventeen Days says "WHY am I just now finding out that Robyn covered a Prince track?! Admittedly it’s not one of his… better tracks (I’ll spare you my feelings on the ‘Controversy’ album.) But Robyn definitely does this with a bit of a tongue-in-cheek quality." which I agree with, Robyn doesn't take this seriously, and it works as a closer in the same way the album opens with 'Curriculum Vitae', returning to her weird sense of humour that I love her for.

I'm assuming @Music Is Life had no idea this was a cover, since they say " I like the piano and the way this opens. This is not at all what I expected/want from a song with that title." Welcome to the world of Prince sis, this isn't his best, but if you want a discography to dive into next and love the shit out of it, Prince should be on your list x

@Maki questions rating this cover, saying "It exists, I guess?" @Untouchable Ace says something similar, "It's made even worse that had to rate this over her song with Metronomy." (I’ll spare you my feelings on the Metronomy collaboration.)

To close this off, @daninternational says "When the Christian Union came into my student bar on a Thursday I'd go and put on all the 'naughty' jukebox songs, like this one." I think 'naughty jukebox songs' sums up the track. ​

2. Finally, an elimination I completely agree with. It's among my lowest scores, with a 'generous' 5,25.
    I even forgot it was still in, because it's so unremarkable and purposeless.

Speaking of covers, it's mind-boggling how this song outlasted both "Regntunga skyar" and "Jag vet en dejlig rosa". Just... how?
    Maybe it's a good thing that this gem wasn't included, as it would've suffered the similar fate:

Now we no longer have any songs in Swedish, but the remaining covers are "Tell You (Today)", "Cobrastyle" and "Main Thing", right? The latter better stay for a long time.

3. I had no idea Tell You (Today) was even a cover!

4. Dddd no I had no clue. He's definitely on my list.

aux and Maki like this.
  5. I didn't know Main Thing nor Tell You (Today) were covers

aux, Maki and djmakemewet like this.
  6. Yeah, those two are a bit tricky to find out (I didn't know either of the original versions before listening to her covers).
    Especially "Main Thing", which even includes Robyn in the credits - they changed some of the lyrics and melody, and the whole production is different (the song is much better than the original version, in my opinion).

7. aux

aux

Let's keep this going sistren

LONG GONE

[​IMG]

Highest – 8.5 x1 (@djmakemewet)

Lowest – 1 x1 (@Stopremix)

I can't bring myself to care much about this song, let alone its departure from the rate. It's soothing and chill, but it gets so repetitive at a point, that it becomes slightly annoying and unnecessary from the album. Relatable lyrics though, @RUNAWAY agrees, by saying "been there before".

@Maki comes through with great commentary once again, saying "Quite boring and too laid-back for me, this is my least favorite track from this album. The only song on this album that I have the urge to skip. It gets repetitive, too, which doesn't compliment Robyn's slightly passionate delivery. Again, the strings save this song from being even bigger snooze." @Music Is Life seems to agree with @Maki, saying "This is boring. I like the acoustic guitar though." I would agree that the acoustic guitar is the best part of this song.

@evilsin comments "The laidback feel coupled with the message of the song work together quite nicely." It's a great juxtaposition, I'll give you that, but to me, it doesn't stop the song from being a skip nn. @sfmartin compares this to a band, saying they "enjoy the Zero 7 vibes on the album." And @daninternational simply says "long...", fuck, I already have the chorus stuck in my head."​

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  8. aux

aux

And let's kick off another one whilst we're here...

JUST ANOTHER GIRLFRIEND

[​IMG]

Highest - 9.5 x1 (@Maki)

Lowest - 1 x2 (@Andsov, @Stopremix)

One of my absolute favourite Robyn deep cuts and my favourite non-single on Robyn Is Here. Produced by the late great Christian Falk, one of Robyn's longest collaborators up to Love Is Free (which was released after his passing). It's no surprise that Falk produced this, considering most of the pre-Robyn tracks I adore are collaborations between the two. This is so elegant, with silky R&B vocals that are to die for. I'm surprised this has left over many of the other tracks on the debut, but I guess it all comes to down to whether you enjoy the lounge vibe of this track. Not @Cutlery predicting its demise, saying "This will tank HARD, especially because of its more minimalistic/lounge approach, but it's one of the... two decent cuts from Robyn Is Here." Some tea was spilled on the later part of this statement.

@Maki agrees with me, considering it their favourite cut from the album, saying "This one can be called a gem. The intro alone suggested that this is going to be much more interesting than the vast majority of the album. Such a chill, almost trip-hop, track with wonderful melody, especially in the verses. The delicate sounds in the instrumental just add to the overall vibe. However, it misses something to be a perfect score (perhaps a bit more convincing chorus). Still, it remains a highlight and my favorite song from this album." @evilsin also mentions the chill vibe of the song, saying it's "another easy-listening moment." I'm really glad @Maki feels the same way I do about this track, it truly is one of her standouts and I'm gutted to see it leave so early on.

@LeBratt compares this to early Brandy, commenting "The production and vocal delivery here just gives me Brandy deep cut circa her debut album (Brandy’s album was released just two weeks before this album ddd), which for me never is a bad thing. But I guess that’s the ’problem’ with this album, it was never really Robyn’s sound or vision. She’s always sought her own path and tried to create a very specific sound, which is one of the best qualities about her. But she sure sells the songs on this debut."

@OspreyQueen questions the length of the song, saying "Not sure this needs to be over 5 minutes long." I think the song is such a vibe, that it suits its length very well, unlike the previous elimination which just felt like it lasted forever.

@br0dy attempts to make some sort of joke, saying "More like just another album-filler, am I right?" Again, I adore this song so I'll just say it's one of the cuts from the album that has aged the best too.​

9. There are much weaker off the debut, this shouldn’t be out already.

Maki, djmakemewet, aux and 1 other person like this.
  10. I need a break. Girlfriend was my second highest for the debut (at 7.25 admittedly, but still)

Maki, nikkysan and aux like this.
  11. @Maki when he sees another one of his high scoring songs is gone already
    [​IMG]

I don’t mind that this song was the latest to go tbh

12. I may not be funny, but looking at that average, I'm right.

[​IMG]

berserkboi, Aidan, aux and 2 others like this.
  13. Dddddddd I was listening to Just Another Girlfriend as I read this post.

Definitely an album highlight - not quite my highest scoring non-single, but almost. The intro, in particular the strings, reminds me of Where Life Begins by Madonna - make of that what you will.

Cutlery, aux, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  14. "Long Gone" is one of the songs I was expecting to leave early. We all agreed that it's pretty boring and it was its time to go, even though the chorus is memorable (at least to me). I gave it a 5,75 and it's my lowest score from "My Truth".

But "Just Another Girlfriend" leaving so soon is unforgivable. Definitely the most timeless song on the album and the best deep cut, too. I completely agree with @aux and a few other participants.
    I mean, how the hell some of the most forgettable filler songs from her debut, like the title-track, "How", "In My Heart" and even some of the singles outlasted it? All are different levels of blandness, yet this gem suffers instead.
    To be honest, I thought "Just Another Girlfriend" was going to end up as one of the best rated tracks from "Robyn Is Here", so this is quite shocking.

It's for sure my fave off that album and a sonic standout, too. Shame on you for letting this happen.

My highest remaining score from her debut is a 7,75 for "Bumpy Ride", which kind of says it all.

Seems like it's one great elimination, then a tragic one for me. If we go by that, the former is about to happen (hopefully).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    berserkboi and Untouchable Ace like this.
  15. Is anybody willing to build up a Spotify playlist that could be in the post on the first page that is always updated, with each elimination being on top so at the end we have a best to worse? I am without my computer right now and I hate to do it on my phone so maybe someone feels motivated?

evilsin and aux like this.
  16. I’m totally willing to do that!

17. aux

aux

Great idea! I don’t want to spoil much, but the Top 40 could well be a Robyn’s greatest hits compilation if she ever did one again.

18. How’s this? Also if anyone has any ideas for the title PLEASE help.

19. Not me thinking you've finally started giving out 1s and 2s...

20. aux

aux

Let's do a double elimination so we can get closer to the bangers xx

IN MY HEART

[​IMG]

Highest - 9 x1 (@Sprockrooster)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@Cutlery)

And surprise, surprise, Robyn Is Here continues to bleed out tracks faster than any other album. This isn't anything special, and to me, feels like classic 90s filler album track. I'm still bitter than somehow this ordinary track lasted longer than Just Another Girlfriend. @Maki seems to agree with me, saying "Nice enough, although not notable. It improves a bit after the post-chorus, but remains one of the more forgettable songs from the album. I would call it a filler track."

@RUNAWAY, one of the highest scorers for this album, comments "this was a cute little song." Others seem to struggle with it, saying "This is the sort of 90s RnB-lite that just doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t find a hook to save my life" (@Andsov), and "I love this funky baseline. Chorus is weak" (@sfmartin). @Seventeen Days says "Not into the reggae-lite vibes of this one, but it’s got a good vibe to it."

@Cutlery, the lowest scorer says, "This is some hotel lobby background music level stuff. Trite." I certainly wouldn't call it trite, as I don't care about this song in the slightest, it's complete inoffensive filler.

Let's continue with the next one shall we...

HOW

[​IMG]

Highest - 8.5 x1 (@tylerc904)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Andsov)

Aaaaaand another Robyn is Here track leaves, shocker. I had something written about this song, but upon reading the commentary, I feel like everyone already said everything I wanted to say. @Cutlery dislikes this track like I do, saying "This is bare bones has almost no defining elements to it, besides strings, so that means that there's nothing outright bad about it. Just boring." @LeBratt also comments on the barebones feel of the song, saying "Unfortunately this is where this album goes a bit downhill. It just becomes a bit…background music?" @Seventeen Days sums it up best for me, "When this album hits it, it really hits it - but when it doesn’t, it falls flat. This track inches over to the decent side, though only by a bit."

In the middle ground, @Aidan says "this is okay but could be better. Not the best from that album but not the worst" and @Maki comments "The hook is one of the most memorable things from this album, which doesn't mean that the song is excellent. Actually, this is one of the weaker songs here and I feel bored halfway through it. A typical filler track, from the instrumental, to the melody. Okay, I forgot about the middle-8, which lifts it up a bit, so let me raise its score by 0,25." @evilsin seems to really like it, saying "So gentle and hypnotizing, love how it draws you in." ​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.