Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. "Bumpy Ride" is really good and a great representation of the album's sound, although pales when compared to a lot of the songs in this rate.
    Still, it received a 7,75 from me, which was my highest remaining score from her debut. Speaking of which, the rest of "Robyn Is Here" can leave now.

Untouchable Ace and aux like this.
  2. aux

aux

Good evening ladies, let's get on with this shall we. I'm feeling saucy this evening, so I'm kicking out three tracks in the same post x

THE WARNING

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x3 (@LeBratt, @Aester, @The Hot Rock)

Lowest - 2 x2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Stopremix)

@Aidan's score - 6

@aux's score - 7

Recorded in 2013, for an album that came out in 2019. Bizarre, sure, but seems to have worked out. It's a very nothing-y track for me, Robyn's vocals are the best part about this. There is just something off about it, I think it's the chorus, but I can't quite place it. @sfmartin and @Maki seem to agree, commenting "This has grown on me slowly but I wish that it had a stronger hook," and "I expected more from this song, for some reason. It's really nice and pleasant, although doesn't have anything special to it," respectively. One of the highest scorers here is @LeBratt, who says "Devastating, aching, beautiful. I think this is one my favorite vocal performances from her ever?" It most definitely is one of Robyn's best vocal performances ever.

Moving swiftly on...

PLAY

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@LeBratt)

Lowest - 2 x1 (@Stopremix)

@Aidan's score - 6

@aux's score - 9

I adore this track. 100% one of her top tracks from the early albums. The write-up I had for this is pretty much what @Maki and @LeBratt's extensive comments said, so I'll just post their entire comment, "This opener sets the tone of the album really well. Already an indication for a more adventurous sound than "Robyn Is Here". I love how carefree the song feels, which exactly matches the lyrics, but isn't nearly as fantastic as the highs of this album. The chorus is memorable, actually the entire song is, and those 'e-yeah, e-yeah' chants in the second half of the song are so adorable".

Similarly, @LeBratt says "I don’t know what it is about this song, but it just gets me so emotional. The string arrangement is just gorgeous, I get chills every time the strings begin. That playfulness in her voice…it’s part of the reason why I think she is one of the best pop vocalists. She is just so evocative and knows exactly which emotions to convey - how to convey them. The lyrics are so touching, compared to a lot of hollow self-empowerment released this decade it actually feels helpful for me. I guess this song gets more resonant the older I get because of all the anxiety and dilemmas I have to deal with which comes with adulthood…a really special song."

@Cutlery takes a slight middle ground here, commenting "This is your standard mid 00's "I'm a real singer and this is my personal album" pop gal sound, but the strings are very pretty and proto-Robyn sounds good here, chanting and all, so I'm taking this as a highlight." @evilsin says "This is cute, the choir-y hook at the end was very nice," and similarly @Verandi comments "A feel good bop!" @daninternational praises the song's departure from the 'Robyn Is Here' sound, but compares it to a Sandi Thom track.

In a similar way to how I felt when re-listening to Robyn's entire discography (I listen to the latter half at least on a weekly basis), I hadn't touched My Truth ever since I bought it on CD a couple of years ago when I started to work; @RUNAWAY commented "what a brilliant opening to an album. I haven’t listened to My Truth in a long time, but it’s a great album, and this a perfect opener."

And now, My Truth takes another hit...

UNIVERSAL WOMAN

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x2 (@Maki, @abael)

Lowest - 1 x1 (@Stopremix)

@Aidan's score - 5

@aux's score - 7.5

I really like this. Lyrically, this is one of the strongpoints of the album. I feel like Robyn really does not get enough credit for being a brilliant songwriter. The production is also stellar on this, as mentioned by @Seventeen Days who says "Okay, I’d like to know who decided to pair a Robyn ballad with a breakbeat, because they deserve a shout-out for doing that." Tea. It's such a perfect pairing, and when the strings and piano begin to swallow the track during the final chorus... *chef's kiss*

One of our highest scorers here, @Maki, comments "This is such a gem. I didn't really pay much attention on the very first listen, but it just continued to grow on me until I adored it. It's so sophisticated and gorgeous. The complete beauty is unveiled in the chorus, which is parts the reason of my high score. The production is ace and deserves a special mention; there are so many little moments that are fantastic. Also, the trip hop vibes are nothing short of amazing and make this song the sonic standout of the album. I've actually bumped its score by a tiny bit to a 10, because it really doesn't deserve to be underrated."

Robyn is really channeling one of her favourite artists here, Janet Jackson - duly noted by @br0dy who says "Another track giving me Velvet Rope vibes - nice," and @LeBratt who comments "Okay, this is giving me slight the Velvet Rope vibes with its production! I actually love this little gem. And I love that we can hear little bursts of experimentations even on her second album. A perfect way to end the album."

Two people praise its placing in the track listing, @Sprockrooster says "A closer. PHEW!" and @OspreyQueen comments "Oh of COURSE the last track on this slog of an album is the most interesting one. I guess she’s always been a troll." And our only real critical commentary here comes from @daninternational, who says "Nice idea, weak execution."​

soratami, evilsin, Maki and 19 others like this.
  3. All these hoes.

Maki, Stopremix and aux like this.
  4. aux

aux

I thought it would make at least Top 60

Maki and Verandi like this.
  5. Not mad about Play going at all. It's so saccharine.

Stopremix likes this.
  6. Play is great and my biggest loss so far (I think) at 8
    Universal Woman is pretty cute! 7.5
    Main Thing and Not on the Inside are both whatever and need to vacate ASAP

aux likes this.
  7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Sad about The Warning, she sounds amazing!

8. I figured out "The Warning" wouldn't last long after seeing how the Kindness track were done earlier.
    Even re-listening to it now, it didn't grow on me that much. Some really good moments, but it doesn't really work for me as a whole.
    I gave it a 6,75, which is my lowest score out of the three Kindness collaborations.

aux likes this.
  9. Ironic how we lost the opening and closing song of "My Truth" back to back.

"Play" was done dirty, it's such a pleasant and enjoyable song. I didn't expect it to leave so early. Not even top 70? C'mon.
    I gave it a 8,5 and still stand behind what I said in the commentary.

And with "Universal Woman", my first 10 falls. Not only that, but it brings two surprises: first one is that, out of all voters, @abael is the one who shares the top score, and the second one that @Music Is Life didn't lose a 10 before me.

To be honest, "Universal Woman" is the song I always had in mind as my first 10 to be eliminated, so this is not a big surprise, although it's disappointing to see it leave now.
    Such a gorgeous song that shows her artistic growth and a perfect album closer. The production is incredible and how it evolves is done in a genius way.
    Very undeserving placement.

And I can't believe "Not On The Inside" made the top 3 of "My Truth". It's one of my lowest scores from the album, actually.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. Universal Woman should definitely have made it a little further than that. The production on it is so unabashedly late 90s, but that's what really sells it. I love her vocals on it.

aux, abael and Maki like this.
  11. Its bound to happen soon.
    Right?

soratami, aux and Maki like this.
  12. Universal Woman is brilliant, but I'm a bit partial to that new millennium pop era in general. Understand if it just sounds dated to others, though.

aux and Maki like this.
  13. It's hard to recollect most of these songs, but I've updated my spreadsheet with what's been eliminated, and happy to see most of the stuff I don't like is out. I have 2 x 3 and 2 x 5 left, so hopefully they'll go soon. So far the most robbed are the duets (Neneh, Cindy and Kindness), and the Swedish ones, but overall a pretty expected order. Looking forward to the near future when I'll know everything that's left!

Stopremix, aux and Maki like this.
  14. aux

aux

Firstly, I would like to apologise over the lack of eliminations last night. This was due to the elections we've just had over in the UK, and frankly, I didn't feel well enough to dedicate myself to do this. But the good news is we're back with one elimination for tonight and two tomorrow earlier in the day x

NOT ON THE INSIDE

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x1 (@abael)

Lowest - 3 x1 (@VitaminBee)

@Aidan's score - 5

@aux's score - 6.5

An elimination I can get behind. Look, I like the song, but this has fallen right where it deserved - if anything, it left a bit late. This is filler by definition, but it has a couple of elements I can dig. @Cutlery comments on the strings, which is the main reason why I gave this track a 6.5, their comment says "Okay by this point it's obvious the saving grace of the album, are the strings sprinkled throughout. That's about the only maturity gained from the debut." I quite agree with @Maki's commentary, who argues "A filler track, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, although there's nothing too amusing here. Great and memorable chorus, as well as the middle-8, but, as a whole, it doesn't keep my attention for too long. On a positive side, I love her ad-libs in the final that there are some quirks in the production that are notable."

Others seem to have felt a similar way, noting that the track is filler, @LeBratt comments "It’s really good in the context of the album. But other than that, she is just a cute girl. I’m still waiting for this to pop for me." @OspreyQueen simply says this on their overscoring, "I’m not sure this actually deserves an 8, but I was just GAGGING for a bop at this point in the album so any port in a storm."​

soratami, GimmeWork, abael and 16 others like this.
  15. Not On The Inside is my second-highest score (8) of the tracks that have left so far. I think the production is more classic/timeless than some of the other stuff on that album, and it's a pretty fantastic chorus.

16. A good spot for it, it's good yet forgettable still

aux, Maki and br0dy like this.
  17. I've not lost anything above a 6 sans the Kindness collabs and Prince cover!

aux and Stopremix like this.
  18. Awww this was a loss for me, it's got a lot of energy and as others have said holds up to today well

abael and aux like this.
  19. "Universal Woman" deserved way better.

abael, aux, Cutlery and 1 other person like this.
  20. "Not On the Inside" surprised me with its 'high' placement, since I never knew it had support from fans, but we can all agree it left at the right time. A correct elimination.
    It does have a great chorus and production, but doesn't impress me as much as the majority of the songs from that album, which is why it received a 6,75 from me.

"My Truth" was done wrong in general (I mean, it just lost three songs in a row), but at least two of my absolute favorites from the album are still in and both should stay for a long time.
    "Universal Woman" rounds up my top 3 from the album, and it slightly irks me that it very nearly missed that placement here, too.

soratami, berserkboi and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.