Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dream On leaving? What?!

aux and djmakemewet like this.
  2. I honestly forgot that Dream On was still here or what it even sounded like. I just relistened to it and it's a cute 7 but definitely not top 30 material.

Music Is Life, br0dy, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  3. Honey.

aux and 2014 like this.
  4. Now that's a 10.

5. Sorry, but there are no strong feeling towards "Dream On".

I must agree with this - I even gave it the same score.

sfmartin, aux and soratami like this.
  6. aux

aux

When the rapture comes it’ll get all the people who don’t like Dream On.

Music Is Life, Cutlery, Maki and 3 others like this.
  7. aux

aux

HUMAN BEING (FEAT. ZHALA)

[​IMG]

Highest - 11 x1 (@The Hot Rock) / 10 x12 (@Aidan, @Vitamin, @Maki, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @LeBratt, @Music Is Life, @Verandi, @OspreyQueen, @djmakemewet, @sfmartin, @aux)

Lowest - 4 x2 (@Stopremix, @abael)

@Aidan's scores - 10

@aux's scores - 10

I'd very openly say this is Robyn's saddest song. This was another of my strong contenders for 11, I don't think she has ever done anything quite like this. @LeBratt comments something that really resonates with why I love the production on this track, saying "The production on this feels so alive. It moves with you." @KingBruno also praised the production, commenting "The lyrics are so obscure, but the passion Robyn gives off speaks volumes. I actually really like the minimalistic approach to this and how Joseph Mount’s distinctive sound takes her to a complete new direction. It definitely stands out on the album."

My co-host feels the same way as me about this track, commenting "This is a very hard hitting, devastating and beautiful song all at once." Similarly, @sfmartin writes "My second favourite song on the album. I love the way the production develops and transforms over the course of the track. It has this sense of tension and unease that runs all the way through. It's very Fever Ray." This tension and unease is a great way of putting it. @OspreyQueen compares the song to a "symphony," saying "There’s like, actual magic weaved through this song. It’s even not particularly complex, but somehow it sounds like a tiny symphony."

For once, @Verandi gets it right, saying "It's Tori Amos, it's Timbaland, it's incredible." I'm not sure if @br0dy says this as a good thing, or a bad thing, commenting "Really atmospheric, like a lot of the tracks on Honey."

@RUNAWAY praises the tracklisting - this seems to a recurring theme, but it's what happens when an album is as perfectly weaved in the way Honey is. They comment "an incredible cooldown moment after the rush of emotion that is Missing U, such a fantastic message here."

And finally, fat Yoshi's #1 stan, @The Hot Rock comments "I know this was meant to be a bit more futuristic but this song really captured what it feels like to be living in this hell world in 2018 (or now 2019) more than most songs I can think of? It's hard to articulate but it's just the feeling the song gives."

Tomorrow, we're getting a special double elimination.

Both tracks are from the same album.​

8. Mess.

This did stick around longer than I thought though.

9. Human Being is so heartbreaking. It's still one of my favourites from Honey.

10. Human Being remains the best song on the album for me. I understand Honey (song) being the highest score in the rate but the other songs from the album can't relate.

Maki, aux and The Hot Rock like this.
  11. Such a pity that "Human Being" is out now and just missed the top 3 placement on "Honey" (the album). It's my favourite song (and only 10) from that album and clicked with me upon first listen.
    The best way to describe it is 'minimalistic, yet complex'. The way it sneaks up on you in all of its atmospheric glory is amazing. The combo of synths a beats - perfection. And her vocals just add another layer of emotion.
    As @aux pointed out, the sadness of the song is what makes it so fantastic to me.

I mean, you know a song is good when both hosts give it a 10 (this also applies to "Electric").

Fantastic 11 pick, @The Hot Rock!

12. A cute spot for Human Bean I think. I wouldn't mind the double elim. being from either Body Talk or Robyn as there are at least 2 songs from each that I'd like to see out. Inb4 it's the remaining Do It Again tracks

Aester, aux and VitaminBee like this.
  13. I completely missed this. It went out too early.

I gave it a 10 and my commentary: Love this song. Though I’m curious... what exactly is the outro lyric? “Baby why you _______” Saunter? Falter? Fought it?(?!) every lyric website tells me something different.

Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  14. I'm still shocked that "Every Little Thing" didn't even make top 30. What a devastating, yet incredible song.
    And @VitaminBee, I think the lyric is' 'baby, why you falter', but am not sure, either.

Also, with the elimination of "Human Being", I'm down to only one 10 (and quite a few 9+ scores).

VitaminBee, Untouchable Ace and aux like this.
  15. When you look at most sites, they say the lyrics for 'Every Little Thing,' are 'Baby, why you fault it?!' But that makes absolutely no sense. I'm certain it's 'Baby, why you falter?'

VitaminBee, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  16. aux

aux

It's time for our double elimination ladies.

[​IMG]

LOVE KILLS

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x11 (@GimmeWork, @Aidan, @Ana Raquel, @Vitamin, @daninternational, @Remorque, @KingBruno, @nikkysan, @soratami, @sfmartin, @The Hot Rock)

Lowest - 5.5 x1 (@Cutlery)

@Aidan's score - 10

@aux's score - 8.5

Yes ladies, this means Body Talk is losing two tracks tonight. It's what she deserves at this point, not going to lie. I have vivid memories of when this song was first played live, fans were calling it "Looking For Love", as the title was unknown at the time. Needless to say I was bopping. I really like the track, especially the bridge, but everything else is nothing groundbreaking.

Onto the commentary!

Let's start with the negatives, @Cutlery comments "The only misstep of the album for me. Sonically, it was dated and showed its age even at the time of release. Afterwards, Robyn's natural cool seems forced in the way she delivers her lines. She's bored, rather than interested in the warnings she gives the listener." Similarly, @RUNAWAY comments "nothing new here. This song has usually been a skip for me because it doesn’t tread any new ground for Robyn." @daninternational probably says the thing I agree with the most, saying "The instrumental here does a lot of heavy lifting, but I appreciate the message too."

Onto the positive, @KingBruno comments "Sinister, dark, and one of the most stabby synth-stompers on the album." On a very similar note, @Untouchable Ace says "Kill me with those dirty synths." @sfmartin who gave this a ten says "One of my favourite songs from the whole of Body Talk. So many addictive hooks one after the other. I love songs where you can't tell what the chorus is and this is a fine example." @The Hot Rock praises the best part of the song "This has one of my all time favorite bridges in a song. What a classic."

@Maki comes through with the long chunks of text I missed, commenting "This album is turning out to be one big re-discovery for me. This track is a fantastic example of that, I didn't even know how it goes until I pressed play. The hook is briliant ('If you're looking for love' part), and the song structure is interesting enough to make me 100% into the song. So why not a 10? It just lacks some type of culmination, a middle-8 or something."

Now, as promised, here's another track from Body Talk.

FEMBOT

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x12 (@ohnostalgia, @GimmeWork, @Vitamin, @LeBratt, @Verandi, @KingBruno, @djmakemewet, @Stopremix, @sfmartin, @RUNAWAY, @The Hot Rock)

Lowest - 5 x1 (@2014)

@Aidan's score - 6

@aux's score - 7.5

Overrated! I like it, but I'm glad it's not in the Top 20. Sorry y'all. @Seventeen Days really sums up my thoughts, saying "Not one of my favorites in the ‘Body Talk’ era, but I can appreciate what Robyn was going for with it." @daninternational similarly says this, commenting "Works as the first track, before we get into the amazingness of everything else."

@Stopremix very excitedly says "Was this the first track to be teased from Body Talk? A 10!", yes, yes it was. @sfmartin comments "When I first heard this as the introduction to Body Talk it was clear we were in for something special. The lyrics are tremendous, witty and vivid. Wonderful use of imagery." I'll agree with you on the lyrics. @tylerc904 seems to struggle singing this song, saying "I always lose my breath on the verses but they slap."

@RUNAWAY adores this, commenting "fucking amazing STILL to this day. Has not aged AT ALL. that robot slut BOP. I remember playing this song for my cousin on a road trip the week Body Talk Pt. 1 came out and we were LIVING."

Right... tomorrow, we won't lose a track from Body Talk. That's all I can really say.

What tracks do you wish won't make it to the Top 20?​

17. I love both these tracks, so different from each other but sharing really good production and clever messages lyric-wise.

Music Is Life, soratami, Maki and 3 others like this.
  18. Damn, both of those cuts sting, but to be perfectly honest everything left is amazing.

19. Fembot going before Stars 4-Ever and Time Machine... muffy sis the worms.

Jacques, br0dy and aux like this.
  20. aux

aux

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.