Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. [​IMG]

2. aux

aux

My reaction whenever I see @Verandi being tasteless in a rate:
    xx

3. I'll give you a like when I see an original dragging x

4. aux

aux

5. Seeing this in the PJ Grammys thread, the K-Pop thread, and here...

Music Is Life, aux, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  6. No chance of this happening but:

Handle Me
    Call Your Girlfriend
    Time Machine

The Hot Rock likes this.
  7. I know we're getting into a lower amount of songs left so some things will need to leave regardless but.

[​IMG]

8. Call Your Girlfriend is my lowest score left

[​IMG]

Aester, Maki and The Hot Rock like this.
  9. At a 9.9? :)

OspreyQueen, aux, Maki and 2 others like this.
  10. "Love Kills" is amazing and definitely deserved to be in the top 20. I gave it a 9,75 and it's one of my favourite songs from "Body Talk".
    Like @sfmartin said, it's just hook after hook and it never lets up.

On the other hand, "Fembot" overstayed its welcome. It's cute enough, so it got a 7,5 from me. Here's my commentary for it:
    This sounds like a song for children (not lyrically, of course). Not a fan of the overly electronic and robotic instrumental and delivery either (which is why I don't return much to this album), but the chorus is an earworm.

sfmartin and Untouchable Ace like this.
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Call Your Girlfriend slander? Peak brainworms.

12. That would be your scores in the Gaga rate actually.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. Stars 4-Ever
    Get Myself Together
    Who's That Girl
    any combination of these can leave us before top 20

14. Why are ppl calling for Call Your Girlfriend and Time Machine's names? Both top 10 material

15. STOP THE SHOW

I gave Dream On my 11

So now it's #1 right?

GimmeWork and aux like this.
  16. Dddd sorry, I forgot you told me later on to give it your 11 cause when I was checking the scores when doing the write up your PM originally had Dream On at 10 and my sheet had it at 11 and I got confused about it

17. aux

aux

Your 11 is counted on the spreadsheet, just not on the post, which I've just edited. So Dream On, sadly, remains being killed at the #26 spot.

18. You mean it's #1.

19. aux

aux

BIONIC WOMAN / CRASH AND BURN GIRL

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x7 (@ohnostalgia, @Ana Raquel, @LeBratt, @br0dy, @soratami, @BEST FICTION, @abael)

Lowest - 6.5 x1 (@Stopremix)

@Aidan's score - 9

@aux's score - 9

Whew. One of Robyn's best songs. It still leaves me bald to this day. A bit sad that this didn't make it onto the Top 20, but everything seems to be falling into place. Also, this was a tight race, with the song we're losing tomorrow having a 0.001 difference. @Aidan also notes this is the song with the most 9s given, with 13 of them.

Onto the commentary!

Let me clear the elephant in the room, @Stopremix continues to have questionable taste, saying "Crash and Burn of the Album." I don't even know what they thought they were doing with this commentary, but work I guess. @RUNAWAY says something similar, "I promise I thought I loved this album more than I apparently do, but this song really doesn’t do much for me…" but I know for a fact they have taste, so she can live for today.

Now onto the tasteful queens, @Music Is Life says "The interlude is nice enough. The song itself is an epic bop, I love the production, and the chorus melody is so catchy." Similarly, @Cutlery says "Bouncy bop. One of the more minimal moments of S/T that leaves all the space for Robyn herself to shine with some memorable melodies and that glitchy goodness from the repetitive "we're going down"s. Then the bridge is a good change of pace, and the outro becoming shapeless is a great touch."

A lot of you praised the production @Verandi comments "Those cascading strings are really a perfect example of *chef's kiss*," and @br0dy says "That funky bassline and the strings in the chorus - perfection." Similarly, @OspreyQueen writes "That burbly synth imitating a bass guitar is impossible not to shake your ass to." Tea.

@daninternational comments "Yes disco vibes and incorporating the interlude into the track. Forget it until I relisten each time." @sfmartin says "A catchy bop. The interlude slots in perfectly beforehand." @Untouchable Ace comments "This is what I imagined her discography was like when I forgot what it all sounded like. Can we go back? All I need'sa Delorean."

And once again, I leave you with @Maki's commentary, "I don't have a particular opinion about the interlude, although it's tied nicely with the song. Melodic combo of pre-chorus and chorus is excellent and I love that instrument. Weird delivery in the verses had to grow on me, and now I appreciate it. The middle-8 almost sound out of place, so it took me a while to adjust to it. Backing vocals add something extra to the song. The outro always weirds me out and makes me laugh."

Tomorrow, we lose another track from Robyn.​

20. Such a bop. Gone too soon, especially with Time Machine and Stars4Ever hanging around still.

Verandi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.