Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

Konichiwa Bitches: The Robyn Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What's the best Robyn album?

1. Robyn Is Here

2. My Truth

3. Don't Stop The Music

4. Robyn

5. Body Talk

6. Do It Again

7. Love Is Free

8. Honey

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. This is a great placement for "Stars 4-Ever", considering it's just an album track. It received an 8,75 from me in all of its overly-sweet glory.

As for "Who's That Girl", I think I slightly underscored it (it got an 8 from me). This undeniably catchy tune with Robyn's convincing delivery is what reasonably attracted a lot of high scores.

"Blow My Mind" isn't top 20 worthy song, but it really surprised me (or, should I say... blew my mind) how well it has done. I gave it a strong 8, which, funnily enough, is one of the lower scores from that album.

Untouchable Ace, aux and berserkboi like this.
  2. Well this is not ideal.

3. I adore the acoustic version of Stars-4-Ever too - it sounds like someone mashed the song up with the special sad EastEnders theme used when a beloved character dies and yet... it works? Gorgeous.

Untouchable Ace and aux like this.
  4. Blow My Mind is my 4th favourite song from that album but it gets 8.5. The production is interesting and the vocal delivery is mesmerising.

Stars 4-Ever is a 9. I really love the sentiment and the song makes me smile but it is slightly repetitive.

aux, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  5. Top 7 needs to look like this (not in order):

Ever Again
    Hang With Me
    Indestructible
    Dancing On My Own
    Be Mine
    With Every Heartbeat
    Monument

6. aux

aux

[​IMG]

HANDLE ME

[​IMG]

Highest - 10 x12 (@VitaminBee, @GimmeWork, @Sprockrooster, @tylerc904, @Andsov, @Remorque, @LeBratt, @evilsin, @Verandi, @soratami, @sfmartin, @The Hot Rock)

Lowest - 6 x1 (@Aester)

@Aidan's score - 8

@aux's score - 8.5

(I will not post the original borderline problematic video nn)

Fuck whoever decided to censor this song with that shitty edit!!! This is one of her best singles, I eat it up whenever it plays. It's ever so slightly dated, hence my score, but I still really like it. @Cutlery says pretty much what I had written, commenting "An anti-bootlicking nazi creep bop! I love that this follows the trend from many Robyn compositions in which a very serene string arrangement follows her quirky lyrics and catchy hooks. Although the guitar bits are dated and bring the song down somewhat."

@Verandi calls this "her ultimate bop," further "In a way it reminds me of the Sugababes' Blue. Gritty verses and very melodic, guitar led chorus. Iconic." @evilsin really likes this, commenting "The strings and light plink-plonking are really great here, not to mention the dragging she puts the guy through." This is probably my favourite comment on here nn, Robyn really dragged the living shit out of this man. @sfmartin brings this up too, writing "One of her best singles. Such an incredible storyteller matched with an impeccable melody in the chorus. Eviscerating for the poor guy this was about."

@KingBruno talks about the "twist" this song has, writing "At first instance this seems like one of the more laidback, radio-friendly songs on the album. But then you have the “but you're a selfish narcissistic, psycho-freaking, boot-licking Nazi creep” lyric that gives it a whole new twist."

@VitaminBee talks about the production, writing "This song has has a nice subtle build over the runtime of it.", similarly, @Maki comments "Adorable delivery and the use of strings/guitars make this song a stand out. This is like a mixture of electronic and acoustice instrumental and it works. I really like the chorus, it's so pleasant. With all that said, I'm not particularly fascinated with this song."

@Stopremix says "She is so much better than me," I think she's better than all of us. @Andsov "loves everything about this song." @tylerc904 talks about other versions of the song, saying "The RedOne Remix really slaps but truly a great song in any form." @The Hot Rock praises the track, writing "This was my favorite of her non-Body Talk material when I was first getting into Robyn. Still one of my absolute faves." I wish she would perform it more, not going to lie.

And to close off, @OspreyQueen says "This is one of those songs that you think is just “fine” for the first couple of listens but then it slowly takes over your entire subconscious and you’re forced to love it. And then you pay attention to the lyrics and love it even more."

Here's your clue for the next elimination.

Standby for my 2nd post.

We're hitting the 9+ averages. ​

abael, KingBruno, nooniebao and 20 others like this.
  7. 14 9+ averages? We stan!

Music Is Life, evilsin, Maki and 5 others like this.
  8. What was the original Handle Me video?

9. HANDLE ME GOING BEFORE MISSING U???

Y'all.

tylerc904, GimmeWork, Maki and 4 others like this.
  10. aux

aux

Well, guess what Mimi.

EVER AGAIN

[​IMG]

Highest - 11 x1 (@Music Is Life) / 10 x18 (@Hurricane Drunk, @VitaminBee, @GimmeWork, @Aidan, @Cotton Park, @Vitamin, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @LeBratt, @evilsin, @KingBruno, @Remorque, @OspreyQueen, @djmakemewet, @sfmartin, @RUNAWAY, @2014, @The Hot Rock, @Untouchable Ace)

Lowest - 7 x3 (@abael, @Verandi, @Stopremix) [don't the three rate villains look cute together]

@Aidan's score - 10

@aux's score - 9.5

Excellent. As @sfmartin writes "A perfect closer. After quite a heavy and intense album here comes a light and optimistic tune to raise the mood before the end. Add that to the explosion of synths after the bridge and you really do feel like things are going to be ok." This song is breezy, relaxing and really shines in the context of Honey. As the closing track, it really does wonders. We need more funky Robyn music, just like in Handle Me, Robyn treads the line between acoustic and synth-heavy in the most incredible way. "You know you can trust me, right?" just before the euphoric ending... Fuck.

Very similar to @sfmartin, @OspreyQueen comments "The perfect finale to Robyn’s return-to-form album. It’s just pure unbridled optimism and determination, full of the sunniest synths and guitars imaginable. Listening to it on a bright morning is absolutely euphoric." @KingBruno also praises the context, commenting "I’m only going to sing about love, ever again. Can you think of a better lyric to end a breakup album? The moment she opens the gate to synth heaven, she rips us all apart."

@Andsov writes "Definitely one of the best songs off Honey," and very similarly, @GimmeWork says "My favorite track on Honey and I’m so glad it got the single treatment." @The Hot Rock makes me want to give him a hug, saying "This makes me feel like I'm not gonna serve clownery the next time I catch feelings for someone. If only...".

My co-host, @Aidan comments "a beautiful song which ends a perfect album with literally no faults. Makes me want to fall in love and only sing love songs." @br0dy says "Easily one of my favourite tracks on Honey, nice retro vibe." @Untouchable Ace also touches on this, writing "The guitar with all of it's 70's swag really makes this. Then the bass comes in and the whole operation feels fulfilled and full." These comments are my argument against what @Verandi had to say about this song "Pretty but she's done this stuff better before.". See, she hasn't. Where else in her discography can you find the "70's swag"?

@RUNAWAY nearly gave this their 11, writing "never did I ever think when I first listened to this album that it would end with what could possibly be her best straightforward pop song. That chorus is life changing. This song will stand the test of time. I could go on and on and on gushing about this song, as it was my original 11, but these are the thoughts that are coming to mind at this moment. What a song."

Finally, @Music Is Life who gave this their 11, writes "This is beautiful lyrically and vocally, and the production is so fucking good. I absolutely love everything about it. The guitar throughout is probably my favorite thing about the song. This is my 11. Because is absolutely fucking amazing. Y'all better recognise that."

Honestly, I was a bit shooketh to see this leave now, I thought it was on lock for the Top 10.

(hence the clue x)

Right... That's it from my end for tonight.

@Aidan will be posting the next elimination. ​

abael, KingBruno, nooniebao and 20 others like this.
  11. I did my part and gave Missing U the 7 it deserves!

Maki and Verandi like this.
  12. aux

aux

13. OMG family portrait!

abael, Music Is Life, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  14. Everything left is incredible, well done fembots!! (Up to and including Ever Again)

15. Me, too. This is crazy.

Watching her do this song live at the ACL was amazing. Her bass player went off. What a great show.

Music Is Life and aux like this.
  16. Competition is obviously strong with a discography like hers but come one, Ever Again is easy top 10 material.

17. surprised Pikachu.gif

Music Is Life and aux like this.
  18. All these Ever Again video look to be blocked on my phone - wonder if it’s a region lock thing...

19. aux

aux

Australia hates Robyn confirmed!

20. It wasn’t already confirmed by us paying dust to the original Dancing On My Own and sending the abysmal cover by C*** S*** to the top? We are a tasteless bunch!! I don’t judge or blame Robyn for blocking later releases dddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.