KONY 2012: Make Kony Famous | The Popjustice Forum

KONY 2012: Make Kony Famous

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Voicething, Mar 6, 2012.

1. KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice.

http://vimeo.com/37119711

2. It's an incredibly moving video and has such a big impact. I've shared it on my Twitter and Facebook. I'll admit to being completely unaware of Kony until about 45 minutes ago and I'm just one person, it's being seen by hundreds of thousands already.

On a less serious note, his child is absolutely adorable.

3. I was seriously put off by the 30 minute runnin time, but wow. That is one of the most moving things I've ever seen. Everyone, please watch the video! This needs to be heard!!

4. I cried when I watched this today. So moving and powerful.

5. That had me welling up. Definitely showing my support.

The way its views skyrocketed is incredible, 8 plays on the 4th, 1.4million on the 6th!

Square likes this.
  6. Hitori

Hitori Guest

I'm still loading the entire thing. I got really curious by all your reactions!

Whoa, 35 guests viewing this topic. Hello there.

7. That film made me really... I don't know. Obviously I was disgusted and shocked at the crimes that are being committed, but it made me feel really hopeful that our generation isn't just full of tossers who think it's cool to not give a damn.

8. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Oh my God, this thing is absolutely everywhere. Someone posted it on a club wall page as an idea for an event night, artists posting it on Facebook/Twitter and on this site.

What's it actually about? I know "watch the video" but from what I Googled he sounds extreme and I don't wanna see some shit that'll scar me!

9. ^Just lifted this from a tumblr:

The video is pretty harmless but there are a few graphic images of cut up faces. I just closed my eyes.

10. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Thank you.

Fuck. That's hideous, this could be very ignorant but isn't there a lot of war people like that in Africa. OK, not a lot but more than him surely.

Are they trying to get him arrested? Perhaps I should watch the video but I'm not really in the mood for something so heavy right now.

11. The whole thing is a bit hipster-ish and trying too hard to appeal to young people but the message is what's important. Spread the word you guys!

12. There's a few events happening in the UK in April where people put posters up of Kony during the early hours of the morning.

It's really nice to see people joining forces to help with this.

13. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Well I expect it to be everywhere come tomorrow. I have seen it on practically everything I've clicked into recently, even oddly enough in a comment on Victorious' Vevo page.

14. Rihanna and Rizzle Kicks have tweeted about this! Amazing.

15. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Why does none of this feel real? I'm sure it is for real, but the cynical part of me feels like this is some giant marketing scam or social experiment by Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock to test how many people will blindy believe anything they read on the internet. Odd. It didn't help that the film felt like it was made by Nathan Barley via Chris Morris.

But it is surprising how, like many others I'm sure, I didn't know of the existence of this man before seeing this thread. Which obviously is the entire point of the "make Kony famous" angle. It's frightening how little a lot of us know about what goes on in the world.

16. LJB

LJB

Incredibly powerful use of film making and social media. Agreed with SockMonkey, it does seem almost hyperutopian which instantly puts the cynicism guard up. #1 criminal? On most peoples moral lists who've look into this, surely.. but any state lists? I doubt it.

However, where does this lead. Public knowledge and visibility - check. But is this enough to mobilize actual, state-backed war against this individual? The West don't just back moral wars, there has to be something in it for them.

And I know this shouldn't effect my empathy for those children, and it doesn't... but I did/do agree with the bid to withdraw aid to a country with the death penalty for homosexuality.

17. This is devastating. Its shocking as a society how little we know about the world we live in... Or perhaps more accurately, how little we retain? I'm sure we are all aware to some degree but fail to think or do.

I agree the approach leaves me feeling rather cynical but I'm positive its born out of a real issue and cause. Beyond that it does inspire a sense of hope that if you have something to say it can be heard.

18. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Good post. That's what was nagging me a bit about the whole thing, I think, that it seemed to present a very one sided, black and white, this is the only information you need and this is the only solution viewpoint. It's not as simple or cut and dried as they're making out. Most of us didn't know this was going on in Uganda, so how can we assume that everything else there is as it should be?

I saw a YouTube video which mentioned the financial aspect too and how they hadn't submitted tax returns for years, and that the CEOs of this organisation were being paid more in salaries than was making it to Uganda. It also said several large Ugandan charities have distanced themselves from Invisible Children as it supports equally bad military regimes.

It seems like this is going to be one of those viral zeitgeist things that will be a footnote in 12 month's time rather than the world changing event they're confident of.

19. Hitori

Hitori Guest

This campaign showed how many of us should do some research before believing what we see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.