Korean News & Culture Discussion | The Popjustice Forum

Korean News & Culture Discussion

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by 3Xs, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 3Xs

3Xs

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Korean News & Culture thread! This thread is for the discussion of all current news and events in South Korea, as well as the discussion of Korean culture in a wider sense that isn't necessarily covered in the main K-Pop thread. Of course, articles and stories related to K-Pop are certainly welcome in here, just as long as the focus is a bit more broad (stuff like "blah artist is coming back next month!!!" or chit chat about the latest hit song isn't really the purpose).

If you see an interesting article or news piece related to South Korea, please share with everyone in here!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. 3Xs

3Xs

3. Hitori

Hitori Guest

*turns off electric fan*

4. Pen Expers

Pen Expers Moderator

What I'm following most closely at the moment, though it's very confusing and not always easy to find English articles about, is an attempt to pass through new school regulations in Seoul, with several 'controversial' changes. They already banned corporal punishment last year, to wild protests, and this time they're going more liberal, with lax regulations on hair, clothing, etc. - but most importantly defending students from discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Conservative groups are saying it "encourages homosexuality" etc etc and there are some conservative people in the education ministry who might or might not be able to stop this particular change going through. But on the other hand a very liberal new mayor of Seoul was recently appointed - so we've got forces pulling in both directions and I'm not even sure when exactly it will be ratified.

Ultimately this is what I find most interesting and frustrating, in turns, about following Korean society - the steps taken towards a more equal society. It's getting there, some day, there's no other way, but there are so many dumb, very influential people, especially connected to the powerful Christian lobby.

5. Hitori

Hitori Guest

I've only seen one openly gay Korean man in my entire life. I saw him in a mall. I'm sure he must have had a hard time since they're pretty conservative.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

Funny you should mention this as there's a great article about this exact topic in the latest issue of TIME Magazine (though its apparently been online since September, it was only published in the actual mag this week). Was actually going to start off the thread with this but wanted to do something lighter first. Oh well! haha.

Anyway, here's the article: Teacher, Leave Those Kids Alone

Literally dumbfounded when I read the stuff in there. I had NO IDEA any of this was going on. Glad some reforms are being made. Let these kids have a life! Though from the looks of it many of these kids are just as eager as the parents to study study study.

7. Well, that article made me feel lazy considering I never study and really should haha. Those poor kids though, I could never get up in the morning knowing all I was going to do all day was study. Though I do remember reading somewhere that it's just people with very important jobs and celebrities that make any sort of major money in Korea. Just become K-pop idols kids!

8. 3Xs

3Xs

Ha. Well I imagine training to be a K-Pop idol is just as intensive as studying to get into a top university!

9. Lately I'm obsessed with South Korea's history, especially politics. Military juntas, assassinations, massacres, coup d'état instead of elections! I'm loving it.

10. My korean teacher is so homophobic!

11. One of my korean teachers is gay... I spotted him on a website and like the idiot I am visited his page, he saw it, visited mine and took down all of his pictures.
    It's been kinda awkward since then.

12. Fan death in hilarious and weird, I love it.

13. Hitori

Hitori Guest

Gay Koreans are like legendary Pokemon actually.

15. 3Xs

3Xs

Oooh sounds juicy! Care to share?

16. The reason behind SM auditions in Kazakhstan is quite tragic actually. I didn't want to de-rail the main thread when I realized it, it's more on-topic here. Stalin deported hudreds of thousands of Koreans, most of them had to settle in towns that are now in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

17. 3Xs

3Xs

Didn't someone on here quite recently post about some Russian-Korean popstar? I'm forgetting the name but that's the first time I became aware that there were so many Koreans in central Asia.

Here's it on wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koryo-saram

18. Hitori

Hitori Guest

Wow those are really interesting. I'm learning a lot here!

Maybe my dream Korean boyfriend is in Kazakhstan and not in Korea.

19. It was me! Her name is Anita Tsoi and she's amazing. Here's her new single "Molitva". K-Pop star can learn from her how to make dramatic outdoor videos! Another prominent Russian-Korean was Victor Tsoi, rock singer that died in 1994, but remain a rock icon in former Soviet Union.

I'll make a summary of Korean politics before 1993 (that's when Korea became a democracy and joined UN etc.). Easiest way to do it will be just writing about Korean presidents up until then, because they had most of the power. It's quite shocking how completely different South Korea was not so long ago form what this country is now.

20. Pen Expers

Pen Expers Moderator

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/12/117_100898.html

High time they find alternatives to military service for those who have ideological reasons for not joining, or as long as there's a "no gay acts" in military rule. But of course, the military should wisen the fuck up first

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.