#KSO⚖Y2023: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2023 Rate | #19: "A reminder that us, humans, are capable of reform and repentance from our evil ways"

@Attis... Explain yourself

If liking a cowboy music is a sin, then I guess I am....unforgiven.

tumblr_ownmla64r51ro1dyeo3_250.gif

@Attis (2): "They want their f(x) moment but they just don't possess the je ne sais quoi, the chutzpah of Krystal / Sulli I fear" [Slicey: Well at least they don't have an Amber!]

I'd rather take that than 5 Victoria's.

200w.gif

Shall we say goodbye to another song by a HYBE act?

No?

Okay....

IMG-4497.gif

72.png

picture.gif

SUPERJUSTICE:
@ohnostalgia
HIGH: (10) @love choerry motion, @ohnostalgia, @Remorque, @Rhodanthe, @soratami, @YRSHKD (9.75) @eliminathan, @thommyh (9.5) @Conan, @ohdenny, @Serg. (9) @BEST FICTION, @He, @leedlelee..., @Macsun, @roblognick, @Shockbox, @tj-x, @vague
LOW: (2) @ysev (3) @Wills (4) @savilizabeths
MY SCORE: 7.5

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 92
20 voters: 71
30 voters: 73
40 voters: 73
50 voters: 72
52 voters: 72
HYO HYO HYO! Unlike last year's Deep, it seems like she didn't dazzle y'all enough with her lone 2023 single Picture. And so we say goodbye to it tonight. Picture was composed by Omega, Kat Dahlia, Tobias Wincorn and Noah Conrad with lyrics written by Kang Eun Jeong.

Picture is a lot less in your face compared to Deep. It's less twerk anthem and more... sensual hip swaying, at least to me. Admittedly, it took me a while to get into it because I have grown to prefer HYO's noisier tracks (think Deep or Dessert) over her more subdued ones in the last few years... which is a sentence I never thought I'd write FFFFFFF! But it's true. I think HYO shines better on songs with grittier production. And Picture is not exactly that.

I do have to commend Picture's chorus though because, yes, it's very catchy. I mean, don't tell me you don't at least sing along to "I know you want this party, come take a pic-CHA!"? Iconique! Hopefully she gives us a better single (or an album!) this year! Rooting for you, unnie!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@ysev (2): "So generic and pointless. Does her music even generate any revenue?"

@Wills (3): "Pretty freakin' naughty alright"

@savilizabeths (4): "I was pretty mid on this song until the chorus where I started to actively dislike it. That instrumentation sounded like I was at the dentist, I’m sorry! I swear, I want to like her music!" [Slicey: FFFFF the way I look forward every year to find out if HYO's music has grown on you yet. I guess not!]

@eatyourself (4.5): "This sounds moldy."

@Attis (5): "Unlike Rover, there is nothing going or elevating this song from another Zumba class soundtrack"

@codecat (5): "One more year that I have to put up with this woman...this time it isn't so bad but I still recommend she takes some time off...a really long time.......maybe buy some real estate or find another hobby idk"

@Salami (5): "How did I miss Hyo releasing a song, and with an MV that is filmed in that place everyone else has? I should like this because it's Hyo and a bit ethnic hippy but it doesn't go anywhere."

@boom bazooka joe (6): "Need Hyo to release an amazing song because I'm sick of giving her mid scores when I love her. Verses better than the chorus."

@clowezra (6.5): "A queen but this is a bit bland isn't it!"

@Ana Raquel (7): "Oh, I remember being really disappointed at this but now I think it is fine enough? It does sound like an enjoyable filler rather than a single, though."

@Vixen (7.25): "The way I had this as a 5 first, but it's been growing on me while listening to the playlist ljfjlfdfljd maybe miss Hyo ate a bitsy…."

@aux (7.5): "Exactly, exactly - and I told her - I said ma’am."

@ultraviolet (8): "Why is this serving a combination of Caroline Polachek and Camila Cabello?" [Slicey: Hello???????]

@BEST FICTION (9): "Glad we have Latina representation since Jihyo didn't make the rate." [Slicey: Yeah, what is up with Onces not entering a Jihyo song to this rate?????]

@Serg. (9.5): "Stoned at the Tanning salon"

@soratami (10): "She really took us to Romania with this one <3"

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Kind of surprised at this placement but it's average is almost 7.5 which is decent. I at least remember what Picture sounds like, which isn't something I can say for a lot of the songs in this rate.

Also, I hope all of Key's songs make it into the top 50 at the very least because his songs seem to be on a few hit lists (watch them all get eliminated before the top 50 dd)

Slice of Life

Staff member
Are we ready to say goodbye to a legend?

I'm most definitely not.

IMG-4497.gif

70.png

[TIE]

iwanttobeclosertoyou.gif

HIGH:
(10) @Ana Raquel, @Attis, @Oleander, @TéléDex, @thommyh, @Trinu 3.0 (9.75) @He (9) @soratami
LOW: (4) @Rhodanthe, @Salami (5) @Dangerous Maknae, @ohdenny, @Serg., @Vixen
MY SCORE: 8.5

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 80
20 voters: 83
30 voters: 79
40 voters: 69
50 voters: 69
52 voters: 70
Wait, I'm not ready to say goodbye to Yukika just yet, oh my god! I should've given this a higher score, dammit. But this is the end of the road for Yukika... not just for this rate but maybe for... ever? This is her final single before retirement, I Want To Be Closer To You.

I Want To Be Closer To You is the lead single of Yukika's second mini album, the all-covers Time-Lapse. It was originally released by Korean singer NAMI in 1992. I Want To Be Closer To You was written by Lee Geon Woo and composed by Yoo Young Sun.

I... didn't expect to feel all these emotions while listening to this song and writing this post so forgive me if I ramble a little bit FFFFFFF! This is truly the end of an era, oh my god? OH MY GOD! Anyway, before I dissolve into a puddle of existential crisis, let's talk about the song. Of course, I would've loved for Yukika to end her career with an original song. But we don't always get what we want, do we? And her version of I Want To Be Closer To You is so gorgeous and heartfelt anyway so lemme not begrudge her too much. Her version isn't that much different from the original but her vocals just has a way of making any song her own. She's magical like that.

Yukika didn't invent city pop, true, but the way she reintroduced it should not only be recognized but also celebrated. Here's a Korean-based Japanese solo artist from a no-name entertainment agency releasing songs under a (sub)genre of music that's almost buried in time... yeah, reading that now, it really shouldn't have worked in theory. But it fucking did and we're all the better for it. Thank you, Yukika! As the kids these days say... you will always be famous.

But also, please reconsider this retirement, unnie FFFFFFF! We will be waiting for your return no matter how long it takes. For now, please enjoy motherhood!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Salami (4): "I wish her all the best for the future."

@Serg. (5): "Yukika Amuro we're going to miss your yearly yawn inducing songs in the rate, enjoy motherhood." [Slicey: BANNED!!!!]

@savilizabeths (6.75): "I’ll miss her so much. This is just as pretty as I expected. I want to listen to it on a walk in the sun or something."

@aux (8): "I love this, but man, I really wish this wasn’t her last album."

@codecat (8): "Motherhood changed her vocal chords and she sounds amazing!!!"

@Crisp X (8): "Her retirement feels like the end of an era. I'll always remember her music helping me going through those early COVID times." [Slicey: Right?????? Lemme play the Soul Lady album again...]

@boom bazooka joe (8.5): "Sad this is her last album. Everything she does is such a smooth, enjoyable listen. Going to miss her."

@soratami (9): "We’ll miss you legend <3"

@Attis (10): "I want to be closer then go away from her fans asap, this lady is sick"

@thommyh (10): "Don't really know what to say here except that it's just a bittersweet ending for this chapter of her life. The way she kinda brought back a whole subgenre for a hot minute there, few people can get that to their credit." [Slicey: Speak on it!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png