#KSO⚖Y2023: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2023 Rate | #20: "The last 30 seconds...I want to hear it on my deathbed."

As STAYC devolved into perpetual KidzBop hell and continued butchering J’s voice, I was out.

I’m gobsmacked at what they’ve turned into.
giphy.gif

Slice of Life

Staff member

Teddy Bear stays.

But not for long......

brandy-crying.gif

83.png

teddybear.gif

HIGH:
(10) @codecat, @eatyourself, @love choerry motion, @savilizabeths, @Serg., @ultraviolet (9.5) @vague (9) @Conan, @GeiPanda, @junglefish, @leedlelee..., @Oleander, @Rhodanthe
LOW: (0) @Salami, @Shockbox (3) @Wills (4) @chrisjche, @Crisp X, @enjoy
MY SCORE: 8.5

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 92
20 voters: 90
30 voters: 81
40 voters: 81
50 voters: 79
52 voters: 83
Nawt two 0s... Nawt back-to-back eliminations... Is K-Popjustice's obsession with STAYC officially over now? Discuss below. But before that, let's first talk about our latest eliminated song, STAYC's Teddy Bear.

Teddy Bear is the title track of STAYC's fourth Korean single album. It was written by Black Eyed Pilseung and Flyt and composed by Black Eyed Pilseung and Jeon Goon. Teddy Bear was a massive success for STAYC. Dare I say it's now their biggest hit in Korea yet. It peaked at number 4 on the weekly Circle Digital Chart, number 4 on the monthly Circle Digital Chart (March) and number 16 on the yearly Circle Digital Chart. It would've hit number 1 if it wasn't blocked by three NewJeans songs (Ditto, OMG and Hype Boy) FFFFFFF! Teddy Bear won a total of six music show trophies.

It's a shame that STAYC's most successful song yet is also K-Popjustice's least favourite Korean song of them. And honestly, I get why Teddy Bear is a disappointment to a lot of you especially since it's coming from the heels of RUN2U and Poppy, two of their most beloved songs here in our subforum. As for me, yes, it is a disappointment too but... I still really like it somehow FFFFFFF! I'm sorry but it seems like I can't hate anything these girls release? I'm just wired to stan, I guess.

The chorus seems to be the biggest issue with a lot of people and again, I get it. But it's somehow turned out to be my favourite part of the song, kii! Except for the "teddy bear, ooh-ooh-ooh" part though; that one can choke! The chorus always reminded me of songs I used to listen to when I was younger (like... elementary school days FFFFFFF!) and it just makes me smile. Nostalgia, it's really such a powerful tool!

I know STAYC are capable of better though and I trust that with their upcoming comeback(s) for this year, they will make it up on us big-time. They just have to. Black Eyed Pilseung, don't fuck it up!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Salami (0): "This is everything I hate about KPop. It's cute overload, there's no variety in any of the vocals, just shrill high pitched annoyance. There's also this really grating synth all the way through that makes this unlistenable. A typical STAYC song in that I never want to hear it again."

@Shockbox (0): "For both, I find them both incredibly cheesy, sounds like music for pre-school children. In particular Teddy Bear which just makes me feel irrational angry whenever I hear it."

@Wills (3): "Maimed by targeting the pre-K market; murdered by the fucking millennial whoop" [Slicey: Ooh, lemme add this to the thread title!]

@chrisjche (4): "I find this insanely annoying!"

@Crisp X (4): "I never thought I'd give a score this low to a STAYC song... I'm ready for them to course correct hard this year"

@boom bazooka joe (5): "How do you go from releasing RUN2U and Poppy to ... this?"

@Attis (6): "It was cute but on the long term too much sugar is detrimental"

@aux (6.5): "The chorus is so grating."

@Macsun (7): "le sigh"

@Vixen (7.5): "Not their strongest year huh. I think as far as 2013-teen-pop (Kidz Bop Version) goes, this is still passable. Nice high note, and the chorus is kinda catchy. Anything will be better than 'LIT' though I suppose."

@soratami (8): "This sounds especially Kidz Bop-y coming after Sweet Juice in the playlist ff, but she’s cute!"

@leedlelee... (9): "She’s cute, you skanks better be nice to her…" [Slicey: Nawt skanks SAGFKHSGF bestie, please behave!]

@savilizabeths (10): "I don’t care who hates it, I love it! Is it a little Kidz Bop? Maybe. Will I be Kidz Bopping til the day I die? Absolutely." [Slicey: YATH! You & me both, bestie!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

he/him
Finally. Now let’s never speak of that song again.
"Teddy Bear" is a song recorded by South Korean girl group STAYC for their fourth single album of the same name. It was released as the single album's lead single by High Up Entertainment on February 14, 2023.

Background and release​

On January 18, 2023, High Up Entertainment announced that STAYC would be releasing an album in February.[1] On January 31, it was announced STAYC would be releasing their fourth single album titled Teddy Bear on February 14.[2] The music video teasers were released on February 5 and 12.[3][4]

Composition​

"Teddy Bear" was written by B.E.P with Flyt, composed by B.E.P and Jeon Goon, and arranged by Rado with Flyt.[5] It was described as a pop punk song with lyrics that "contains a message of positivity that gives hope and comfort".[6] "Teddy Bear" was composed in the key of G major, with a tempo of 119 beats per minute.[7]

Commercial performance​

"Teddy Bear" debuted at number 56 on South Korea's Circle Digital Chart in the chart issue dated February 12–18, 2023;[8] on its component charts, the song debuted at number three on the Circle Download Chart,[9] number 84 on the Circle Streaming Chart,[10] and number 137 on the Circle BGM Chart.[11] It ascended to number four on the Circle Digital Chart in the chart issue dated March 5–11, 2023,[12] and number four on the Circle Streaming Chart in the chart issue dated March 12–18, 2023.[13] On the monthly Circle Digital Chart, the song debuted at number 55 in the chart issue dated February 2023,[14] ascending to number four in the following month.[15] The song also debuted at number 16 on the Billboard South Korea Songs in the chart issue dated March 4, 2023.[16]

Promotion​

Following the release of Teddy Bear, on February 14, 2023, STAYC held a live event to introduce the single album and its songs, including "Teddy Bear", and to communicate with their fans.[17] The group subsequently performed four music programs in the first week: Mnet's M Countdown on February 16,[18] KBS's Music Bank on February 17,[19] MBC's Show! Music Core on February 18,[20] and SBS's Inkigayo on February 19.[21] On the second week of promotion, they performed on six music programs: SBS M's The Show on February 21,[22] MBC M's Show Champion on February 22,[23] M Countdown on February 23,[24] Music Bank on February 24,[25] Show! Music Core on February 25,[26] and Inkigayo on February 26,[27] where they won first place for all appearances except M Countdown and Show! Music Core. On the third week of promotion, they performed on six music programs: The Show on February 28,[28] Show Champion on March 1,[29] M Countdown on March 2,[30] Music Bank on March 3,[31] Show! Music Core on March 4,[32] and Inkigayo on March 5.[33] On the fourth and final week of promotion, they performed on three music programs: Show Champion on March 8,[34] M Countdown on March 9,[35] and Show! Music Core on March 11,[36] where they won first place for all appearances except M Countdown.

"Teddy Bear" is a song recorded by South Korean girl group STAYC for their fourth single album of the same name. It was released as the single album's lead single by High Up Entertainment on February 14, 2023.

Background and release​

On January 18, 2023, High Up Entertainment announced that STAYC would be releasing an album in February.[1] On January 31, it was announced STAYC would be releasing their fourth single album titled Teddy Bear on February 14.[2] The music video teasers were released on February 5 and 12.[3][4]

Composition​

"Teddy Bear" was written by B.E.P with Flyt, composed by B.E.P and Jeon Goon, and arranged by Rado with Flyt.[5] It was described as a pop punk song with lyrics that "contains a message of positivity that gives hope and comfort".[6] "Teddy Bear" was composed in the key of G major, with a tempo of 119 beats per minute.[7]

Commercial performance​

"Teddy Bear" debuted at number 56 on South Korea's Circle Digital Chart in the chart issue dated February 12–18, 2023;[8] on its component charts, the song debuted at number three on the Circle Download Chart,[9] number 84 on the Circle Streaming Chart,[10] and number 137 on the Circle BGM Chart.[11] It ascended to number four on the Circle Digital Chart in the chart issue dated March 5–11, 2023,[12] and number four on the Circle Streaming Chart in the chart issue dated March 12–18, 2023.[13] On the monthly Circle Digital Chart, the song debuted at number 55 in the chart issue dated February 2023,[14] ascending to number four in the following month.[15] The song also debuted at number 16 on the Billboard South Korea Songs in the chart issue dated March 4, 2023.[16]

Promotion​

Following the release of Teddy Bear, on February 14, 2023, STAYC held a live event to introduce the single album and its songs, including "Teddy Bear", and to communicate with their fans.[17] The group subsequently performed four music programs in the first week: Mnet's M Countdown on February 16,[18] KBS's Music Bank on February 17,[19] MBC's Show! Music Core on February 18,[20] and SBS's Inkigayo on February 19.[21] On the second week of promotion, they performed on six music programs: SBS M's The Show on February 21,[22] MBC M's Show Champion on February 22,[23] M Countdown on February 23,[24] Music Bank on February 24,[25] Show! Music Core on February 25,[26] and Inkigayo on February 26,[27] where they won first place for all appearances except M Countdown and Show! Music Core. On the third week of promotion, they performed on six music programs: The Show on February 28,[28] Show Champion on March 1,[29] M Countdown on March 2,[30] Music Bank on March 3,[31] Show! Music Core on March 4,[32] and Inkigayo on March 5.[33] On the fourth and final week of promotion, they performed on three music programs: Show Champion on March 8,[34] M Countdown on March 9,[35] and Show! Music Core on March 11,[36] where they won first place for all appearances except M Countdown.
Mmm, oh yes!
I love to read about TEDDY BEAR by STAYC!

reading.gif

EDITOR'S NOTE:

This is not sarcasm.

Last edited:
To all the naysayers I say...

jiltuiljido molla
jal hago inneun geon na
So keep it down nega weonhaneun geon mweolkka

Quiet please bihaenggi modeuro
pyeonhi anja bulpiryohan mal sogeuro
naega weonhal ttaeman beoteun Ooh yeah

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
baraman bwa Just like

Teddy Bear ooh
Teddy Bear ooh

Teddy Bear ooh yeah

tenor.gif

Slice of Life

Staff member
Now Bubble is also a regression from Run2U and Poppy but at least that pops off, so it should stay for a good while longer!
Now Bubble better not go anywhere until we reach the top 10

Oh that's not...

brandy-crying.gif

ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3c0869133b47b0000eb17839f4f9ea9f1a5b8926.gif

82.png

honestly.gif

HIGH:
(10) @FunkyButChic, @savilizabeths, @soratami (9.75) @Oleander (9.5) @junglefish, @Sanctuary (9) @enjoy, @Serg., @thommyh
LOW: (2) @askew, @ysev (4) @Rhodanthe
MY SCORE: 8

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 97
20 voters: 95
30 voters: 85
40 voters: 78
50 voters: 79
52 voters: 82
The month of February takes another hit as Limelight's Honestly gets eliminated after STAYC's Teddy Bear. Oh wow.

Honestly is the official debut single of Limelight. It was written by Sweetune's Kim Seung Soo and Kim Min Gu and composed by Sweetune's Kim Seung Soo, Kim Min Gu and Eltz. It failed to enter the Circle Digital Chart but it did peak at number 169 on the component Download Chart. Limelight should be familiar to a lot of you since they already competed in last year's #KSOTY Rate! Their pre-debut single, Eye To Eye, ended up at number 51. Sadly, Honestly couldn't replicate Eye To Eye's success and has to exit the competition this early. Poor it!

Honestly is a lot different from Eye To Eye despite sharing the exact same songwriters. While the latter is A LOT more emotional, Honestly is more on the lighter side of things. It's sweet and breezy and just overall easier to listen to. But that doesn't mean it's basic! The production is anything but. I specifically love, love, love the production on the verses and the pre-chorus. I just love the verses and the pre-chorus, period. I wish I could say the same for the chorus though. I mean, it's not bad. I just expected a punchier chorus especially coming from that iconique pre-chorus.

Limelight recently made a comeback with Ta-Da!... which is sadly their last single as a trio. According to their company, Limelight will reorganize and add more members to the group. With Kep1er officially ending their run as a group this July, maybe Yeseo and Mashiro will really join Limelight after all. Hmmm, that's interesting and I can't wait how things will turn out!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@askew (2): "Hollow and charmless despite all efforts." [Slicey: The way you were also the lowest scorer of Eye To Eye last year HSGAFJSAGF you hateful heaux!]

@ysev (2): "Sounds like a Netflix movie song. So freaking faceless."

@codecat (5): "Previously, on XO Kitty..." [Slicey: This and @ysev's comment back to back is SENDING me!]

@aux (6): "I wish this hit like the stuff on their previous mini-album tee bee aitch."

@chrisjche (6): "I think this would have benefited from a different production style - I like the relaxed melody and vocal execution."

@Salami (7.5): "I get Oh My Girl vibes from this group so naturally I love them. It's not as good as Eye to Eye but they're a good one to look out for based on this." [Slicey: Hopefully you'll still love them after their reorganization, kii!]

@Vixen (8.5): "Come awn American Pop! Basic but VERY cute."

@FunkyButChic (10): "A surprisingly great reimagining of I Love You Always Forever."

@savilizabeths (10): "It’s perfect. It feels like a warm hug."

@soratami (10): "This is just absolutely excellent, the type of music Carly Rae Jepsen would release if she was a K-Pop artist." [Slicey: I would actually love a Carly Rae Jepsen x Sweetune collab!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png