#KSO⚖Y2023: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2023 Rate | #21 + TOP 20 REVEALED!

Slice of Life

Staff member
Thank you for granting my request hehe~

Now let's eliminate another song by a male act, shall we?

76.png

sugarrushride.gif

HIGH:
(10) @boom bazooka joe, @ohnostalgia, @PopZeitgeist, @Salami (9.5) @ohdenny, @Vixen (9) @chrisjche, @Cotton Park, @enjoy, @GeiPanda, @leedlelee..., @Macsun, @Slice of Life, @soratami, @thommyh, @tj-x, @Wills, @YRSHKD
LOW: (1) @Attis (4) @clowezra, @Rhodanthe, @ultraviolet
MY SCORE: 9

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 14
20 voters: 53
30 voters: 66
40 voters: 82
50 voters: 77
52 voters: 76
The next song by a male act to leave the competition is none other than TXT's Sugar Rush Ride. You guys hate fun omfg! I rebuke it!

Sugar Rush Ride is the lead single of TXT's fifth Korean mini album, The Name Chapter: Temptation. It was written by Slow Rabbit, Sofia Kay, Supreme Boi, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker, "Hitman" Bang, Salem Ilese, Krysta Youngs, Myah Marie Langston and Ollipop and produced by Slow Rabbit. Sugar Rush Ride turned out to be TXT's biggest hit yet, peaking at number 11 on the Circle Digital Chart. It has won four music show trophies and was included in Dazed's top 50 best K-Pop tracks of 2023 list.

This misunderstood bop... I just know a lot of you rated this low because of that drop chorus. And judging from the comments this song got, my suspicions were validated! And frankly, I cannot fault y'all for that. On first listen, the non-chorus chorus does sound... well, not very good. It breaks the flow of the song. Also, TXT are celebrated for their songs' great choruses so I can see why even fans didn't respond that well to Sugar Rush Ride. But honestly, I don't think a traditional chorus would work for this song at all. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a different chorus for this song. The drop chorus is perfect for a song this chaotic and busy and I will die on this hill!

TXT are set to release their new mini album, minisode 3: Tomorrow, on April 1st. And I just hope its lead single is as exciting as Sugar Rush Ride and not safe and boring like Chasing That Feeling. Yes, I said it!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Attis (1): "The breakdown will always remind me of that Grubhub ad meme" [Slicey: Okay, I googled the ad and I hear it FFFFFF I hate you!]

@clowezra (4): "This had promise but that tired ass drop? A nightmare."

@ultraviolet (4): "I’m sorry that beat drop is atrocious"

@aux (6.5): "…okay, I guess? It starts off great but really falls flat with its chorus."

@Ana Raquel (7): "Stop whistles 2k24"

@codecat (7): "Drop choruses...it's 2024... (everything else is nice!)"

@eatyourself (8): "I wish it had another chorus... but it's a bop!"

@savilizabeths (8): "The only part I don’t like is the “sugar rush rush” whatever part."

@chrisjche (9): "Still think it was a huge missed opportunity to sample Britney's "Gimme More" in that post chorus." [Slicey: WaiT... you might be onto something!]

@Cotton Park (9): "why do I feel like Michael McDonald should be singing back-up on this?"

@soratami (9): "Justice for Tinnitus (Wanna be a rock)"

@Vixen (9.5): "This is so good too. I haven't really kept up with TXT, but both songs in this rate have been great."

@boom bazooka joe (10): "Their sexiest song and MV to date."

@Salami (10): "This song is all over the place in the best way. That whistling is one of my favourite moments in music last year. I wasn't keen on the drop at first but it now makes sense, and the last 30 seconds when it ramps up make the wait worthwhile. Amazing choreography too." [Slicey: How does it feel to lose back-to-back 10s, bestie? Kii!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Thank you granting my request hehe~

Now let's eliminate another song by a male act, shall we?

76.png

sugarrushride.gif

HIGH:
(10) @boom bazooka joe, @ohnostalgia, @PopZeitgeist, @Salami (9.5) @ohdenny, @Vixen (9) @chrisjche, @Cotton Park, @enjoy, @GeiPanda, @leedlelee..., @Macsun, @Slice of Life, @soratami, @thommyh, @tj-x, @Wills, @YRSHKD
LOW: (1) @Attis (4) @clowezra, @Rhodanthe, @ultraviolet
MY SCORE: 9

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 14
20 voters: 53
30 voters: 66
40 voters: 82
50 voters: 77
52 voters: 76
The next song by a male act to leave the competition is none other than TXT's Sugar Rush Ride. You guys hate fun omfg! I rebuke it!

Sugar Rush Ride is the lead single of TXT's fifth Korean mini album, The Name Chapter: Temptation. It was written by Slow Rabbit, Sofia Kay, Supreme Boi, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker, "Hitman" Bang, Salem Ilese, Krysta Youngs, Myah Marie Langston and Ollipop and produced by Slow Rabbit. Sugar Rush Ride turned out to be TXT's biggest hit yet, peaking at number 11 on the Circle Digital Chart. It has won four music show trophies and was included in Dazed's top 50 best K-Pop tracks of 2023 list.

This misunderstood bop... I just know a lot of you rated this low because of that drop chorus. And judging from the comments this song got, my suspicions were validated! And frankly, I cannot fault y'all for that. On first listen, the non-chorus chorus does sound... well, not very good. It breaks the flow of the song. Also, TXT are celebrated for their songs' great choruses so I can see why even fans didn't respond that well to Sugar Rush Ride. But honestly, I don't think a traditional chorus would work for this song at all. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a different chorus for this song. The drop chorus is perfect for a song this chaotic and busy and I will die on this hill!

TXT are set to release their new mini album, minisode 3: Tomorrow, on April 1st. And I just hope its lead single is as exciting as Sugar Rush Ride and not safe and boring like Chasing That Feeling. Yes, I said it!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Attis (1): "The breakdown will always remind me of that Grubhub ad meme" [Slicey: Okay, I googled the ad and I hear it FFFFFF I hate you!]

@clowezra (4): "This had promise but that tired ass drop? A nightmare."

@ultraviolet (4): "I’m sorry that beat drop is atrocious"

@aux (6.5): "…okay, I guess? It starts off great but really falls flat with its chorus."

@Ana Raquel (7): "Stop whistles 2k24"

@codecat (7): "Drop choruses...it's 2024... (everything else is nice!)"

@eatyourself (8): "I wish it had another chorus... but it's a bop!"

@savilizabeths (8): "The only part I don’t like is the “sugar rush rush” whatever part."

@chrisjche (9): "Still think it was a huge missed opportunity to sample Britney's "Gimme More" in that post chorus." [Slicey: WaiT... you might be onto something!]

@Cotton Park (9): "why do I feel like Michael McDonald should be singing back-up on this?"

@soratami (9): "Justice for Tinnitus (Wanna be a rock)"

@Vixen (9.5): "This is so good too. I haven't really kept up with TXT, but both songs in this rate have been great."

@boom bazooka joe (10): "Their sexiest song and MV to date."

@Salami (10): "This song is all over the place in the best way. That whistling is one of my favourite moments in music last year. I wasn't keen on the drop at first but it now makes sense, and the last 30 seconds when it ramps up make the wait worthwhile. Amazing choreography too." [Slicey: How does it feel to lose back-to-back 10s, bestie? Kii!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

How does it feel? Well by the sounds of it I’m losing my second submission soon so all of these voters can go to hell. 2023 was a great year for Kpop but you’d never know by these results!!!

Slice of Life

Staff member
Time to eliminate another tripleS song again, I guess.

klasik-clasik.gif

75.png

justdoit.gif

HIGH:
(10) @codecat, @Cotton Park (9.75) @He (9.5) @TéléDex (9) @Crisp X, @Rhodanthe, @Trinu 3.0, @ultraviolet
LOW: (5) @boom bazooka joe, @eccentricsimply, @love choerry motion, @Salami, @Sanctuary
MY SCORE: 7.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 69
20 voters: 72
30 voters: 80
40 voters: 75
50 voters: 76
52 voters: 75
And another tripleS subunit faces elimination. Tonight, we say goodbye to tripleS NXT and their lone rate entry Just Do It.

Just Do It is the debut single of tripleS' sixth subunit tripleS NXT. It was written by Kwon Ji Eun, Choi Didi, Yi Yi Jin, Jaden Jeong, San Yoon and Louise Frick Sveen and composed by BADD, San Yoon and Louise Frick Sveen. Just Do It didn't enter the Circle Digital Chart but peaked at number 114 on the component Download Chart.

Well..... I may have slightly under-scored Just Do It because listening to it now, I'm finding myself being really into it. I remember originally scoring this an 8.25 but lowered it to 7.75 because I can't for the life me remember how this song goes FFFFFFF! I'm still not a fan of the vocal production (I think it's a bit too unnecessarily overprocessed) but other than that, Just Do It isn't too bad actually! The production is killer too but that's to be expected from BADD. I will always stand by you, oppa! I'd probably give this song an 8.25 now (my original score for it, kii!).

I... actually don't know what the future holds for this subunit. It's the first tripleS subunit to be formed without fan voting so I'm guessing Jaden was just feeling quirky and/or silly when he decided to debut them? Maybe they won't release any more songs after this? Like I said, I really don't know. So I guess I'm just gonna wish these girls the best of luck. Bring on the full tripleS comeback!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@boom bazooka joe (5): "Hate the vocal production, and while I usually appreciate an offbeat melody or chord progression, this song sounds like it takes forever to find any sort of tonal center. It all sounds very disjointed and unpleasant, tbh."

@savilizabeths (7): "The only reason I had heard this before is because one of my best friends is a TripleS stan. It’s cute, I like it."

@Vixen (7.5): "I liked it! Thought the demo singer sounded great. I think it ends up being a little more catchy than quite a few of their other songs in this rate, despite this not really being an actual titletrack or proper comeback."

@aux (8): "It’s catchy as hell, to be honest." [Slicey: It really is!]

@soratami (8): "When you have eighty-seven different sub-units and they’re all basically serving the same thing"

@codecat (10): "My god that studio singer is WORKING OVERTIME...I would say "Jaden Jeong pay her salary" but at this point Secret Member Unnie deserves EQUITY at Modhaus...miss mawma needs to be collecting 5% of each NFT sold after this song" [Slicey: FFFFFFF the way I was gagged when I found out that youra is the Secret Member Unnie on this song and not the OG kween ADORA!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png