#KSO⚖Y2023: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2023 Rate | #21 + TOP 20 REVEALED!

Slice of Life

Staff member
Another legend says goodbye...

70.png

[TIE]

callmyname.gif

SUPERJUSTICE:
@BEST FICTION
HIGH: (10) @BEST FICTION, @Dangerous Maknae, @eliminathan, @He, @love choerry motion, @vague (9.75) @TéléDex (9.5) @Trinu 3.0 (9) @clowezra, @Cotton Park, @enjoy, @Serg., @soratami
LOW: (3) @eatyourself (5) @Attis, @eccentricsimply, @Rhodanthe, @Salami, @Sanctuary, @Wills
MY SCORE: 8

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 95
20 voters: 87
30 voters: 81
40 voters: 72
50 voters: 70
52 voters: 70
Last year was the first time Sunmi missed the top 20. This year though... she completely missed the top 50. Is this the end of K-Popjustice's love for her and her music? Tonight, we say goodbye to her lone rate entry, Call My Name. Call My Name is taken from Sunmi's second single album, Stranger. It was written by Sunmi and composed by Sunmi and DORI.

2023 was a tough year for the Sunmi enjoyers of K-Popjustice. She only released one single called Stranger and that song turned out to be what many would consider her worst single yet. Frankly, I was also disappointed on my first (ok, maybe the first ten ffffff) listen of Stranger, but over time, I have grown to appreciate how unique it is compared to the rest of her discography. Thankfully, the Stranger single album included a b-side called Call My Name and it sounds more like the Sunmi we all know and love.

If Stranger was a little too left field, Call My Name was the opposite. It is reminiscent of the sound Sunmi tackled on 2022's Heart Burn. To me, it sounds like a sister to Childhood. Sunmi of course sounds marvelous on Call My Name and the production is stellar too. In the end though, I just don't find the song memorable enough. So I could only award it 8 points. It's good but I know Sunmi capable of so much better.

I really hope Sunmi comes back strong this year. I'm not even wishing for an album because it seems she's allergic to that word fffffff no offense to this unnie! I just want her to show us again what she's fully capable of because that did not happen last year. And I fully, wholeheartedly believe that she won't let us down again.

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@eatyourself (3): "This is sooooooooo boring. These K-pop girls try to go for lowkey and mysterious and end up sounding like they're dissociating."

@savilizabeths (7.5): "This is quite gorgeous actually!"

@aux (8.5): "A classic Sunmi b-side, breezy and sultry. I could live in the soundscape of this song forever."

@boom bazooka joe (8.5): "Saw Sunmi's name and thought "damn, who set her ass up?" before I realized it wasn't Mr. Stranger. (Thank God for that.) Not my favorite Sunmi song ever, but a B- for her is still an A- for anyone else."

@clowezra (9): "Lovely throwback to the Heart Burn era, she nails this sound perfectly."

@Cotton Park (9): "when I saw her live in NYC, she talked alot the kinds of western music that influenced her and did this really out of nowhere kind of yacht-rock mellow medley and by the intensity of how she delivered it, you could tell that this was her vibe." [Slicey: WAITTTTT, this sounds like a dream performance, I'm jealous!]

@enjoy (9): "Sunmi is really good with this dark, moody mid tempos and this one is no different. She just sounds at home when singing songs like this. A hit and now why was Mr Stranger the title track?"

@Serg. (9): "Scoring this higher cause I feel like I know who submitted this and if I score it any lower I might wake up with bugs under my pillow." [Slicey: PLEEK!!!!!!]

@soratami (9): "Smooth excellence"

@BEST FICTION (10): "I was tossing between submitting this or Stranger, but I feel like Stranger being such a loud, brash song would get it kicked out quicker, so I decided to play it safe. Sunmi will never miss a KSOTY on my watch!" [Slicey: You should've submitted both songs, bestie!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Slice of Life

Staff member
Hi! I'm gonna post the elimination a little earlier tonight because I wanna listen to COWBOY CARTER before I go to sleep, kii!

Anyway, are we ready to say goodbye to another 11?

And another tripleS song?

84d.gif

69.png

invincible.gif

SUPERJUSTICE:
@ultraviolet
HIGH: (11) @ultraviolet (10) @aux, @He, @PopZeitgeist, @Rhodanthe, @thommyh, @vague (9.5) @chrisjche, @Crisp X (9.25) @TéléDex (9) @ohnostalgia, @Trinu 3.0
LOW: (3) @Attis (4) @Dangerous Maknae (5) @eccentricsimply, @Shockbox, @Vixen, @Wills
MY SCORE: 7.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 68
20 voters: 56
30 voters: 69
40 voters: 65
50 voters: 66
52 voters: 69
tripleS continues to lose songs on an alarming rate. Tonight, we say goodbye to Invincible. After this elimination, they are only left with three songs.

Invincible is the debut single of tripleS' fourth subunit, tripleS EVOLution, and taken from their first mini album, <⟡> or Mujuk. It was written by G-High (MonoTree) and Jaden Jeong and composed by G-High (MonoTree), Justin Reinstein, Suhyppy and Anna Timgren. Invincible did not enter the Circle Digital Chart, but peaked at number 52 on the component Download Chart.

On my first few listens, I was really a fan of Invincible. I mean, who wouldn't be? The production literally sounds like it was taken from Odd Eye Circle's Mix & Match mini album aka one of the best albums ever. But over time, I couldn't shake the fact that these vocals were just not it. I know the vocals sounding like that is most probably an artistic choice, again like Odd Eye Circle's Loonatic. I totally get the premise behind it. But at the end of the day, it just doesn't sound good to these ears.

Also, I know it has become a running joke in the subforum that tripleS doesn't have legitimate vocalists and I'm guilty for maybe starting that kii! Sometimes, I regret making that post because I feel like I was too mean to tripleS when in reality, I do enjoy their music. But songs like Invincible just doesn't help tripleS' case at all. Why make their vocals sound even more... questionable? I just don't get it.

But anyway, I hope people who discovered tripleS EVOLution through this rate and through Invincible still give their music a chance. I promise they have better songs! Please listen to Heavy Metal Wings and 37.5 Celsius, besties!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Attis (3): "Cheap attempt on recreating Loonatic. Terrible mixing, inconsistent production, unmemorable melody, buried vocals that makes AKB48 producer looks like an expert" [Slicey: Damn, you really are on your rate villain era.]

@Vixen (5): "Maybe they should have let the demo singer take over on this one too afterall….. oof. I also feel like it's a bit noneventful, like it's barely even trying to be catchy? Not ideal for the title track, but I guess I see the vision, even if the execution isn't up to my taste."

@Wills (5): "The way a full 14% of this playlist is either LOONA or LOONA 2.0...... devastating. Anyway this is the worst of the bunch, belligerently uncatchy" [Slicey: Nawt LOONA also catching strays!]

@eatyourself (5.5): "It's like an anemic version of LOONA."

@leedlelee... (6): "This song sounds like they thought about going full on Drum and Bass but then decided not to, and then also decided to add crappy vocals…"

@codecat (6.75): "Jaden Jeong stop peddling your little internet crypto thingies and get yourself a good MIXER and stay AWAY from your lyric notebook!! Go write a blog post instead!!" [Slicey: Get his ass!]

@Ana Raquel (7): "I feel as if I should like this on paper more than I actually do but okay"

@soratami (7): "Another tripleS song…"

@savilizabeths (8): "While it’s my least favourite TripleS title of the year, it’s still really great."

@BEST FICTION (8.75): "This being their best song cause it's just a LOONA song."

@TéléDex (9.25): "So is this meant to be a Krystal Eyes song?!? The lyrics did mention that. This is why TripleS is so confusing!!!" [Slicey: FFFFFF Jaden was just feeling a little silly when he mentioned Krystal Eyes hehe~]

@Crisp X (9.5): "The dreaminess is everything to me and the bridge is perfection"

@aux (10): "This is my favourite tripleS title track to date. It just knocks so hard and feels perfectly catered to the skills of tripleS. I rinsed this so hard when it came out and it’s not grown tired for me at all."

@ultraviolet (11): "It’s really hard to express why this song was so important to me last year. From the moment I saw the MV teaser I felt something I haven’t felt for a while with a kpop release. This song simply has some kind of ethereal aura surrounding it; as if you were at a planetarium observing a beautiful simulation of celestial bodies, and as an astronomy student who was struggling with my grades, it just felt so appeasing. And there’s also the fact that the song is just so good imo fff. I swear the chorus is as effective as a dose of adrenaline. The concept itself is also very innovative. It’s not the straightforward “You can do it!” message, it takes a more transcendental and thoughtful take, which I tremendously appreciate." [Slicey: Awwww, this is actually so heartwarming!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Slice of Life

Staff member
Three eliminations in one page? Oh we are flopping so bad FFFFFFFFFFF!

Well I hope this next elimination generates more reactions...

68.png

chillkill.gif

HIGH:
(11) @Oleander (10) @Attis, @boom bazooka joe, @clowezra, @eccentricsimply, @leedlelee..., @Rhodanthe, @Shockbox, @Slice of Life, @ultraviolet (9.75) @YRSHKD (9.5) @ohnostalgia (9.25) @TéléDex (9) @GeiPanda, @He, @ohdenny, @Phonetics Girl, @PopZeitgeist, @savilizabeths, @tj-x, @Vixen
LOW: (1) @eatyourself (2) @aux (3) @KimLippington, @love choerry motion (4) @BEST FICTION (5) @FunkyButChic, @roblognick, @Sanctuary
MY SCORE: 10

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 70
20 voters: 45
30 voters: 57
40 voters: 66
50 voters: 71
52 voters: 68
Well, this actually did better than I anticipated so yay, let's still celebrate that, I guess? Nah, fuck that. Chill Kill, the misunderstood masterpiece that you are, I will avenge you, bb!

Chill Kill is the title track of Red Velvet's third Korean full album. It was written by Kenzie and composed by Kenzie, Jonathan Gusmark, Ludvig Evers, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker and Ellen Berg. Chill Kill was a mild hit, peaking at number 11 on the Circle Digital Chart. Finally, it won one music show trophy and was included in Dazed's top 50 best K-Pop tracks of 2023 list.

Where do I even begin FFFFFFFFFFFFF! It feels like I'm gonna get thrown tomatoes when I sing this praises again for the nth time, kii! But humour me for the last time, girlies. It's the least you can do after you ravaged this song in the comments, you hussies FFFFFFF! But yeah, Chill Kill, TO ME, is one of the best Red Velvet singles ever. I've always wanted Red Velvet to successfully blend their Red and Velvet sides for forever, successfully being the operative word here. They have tried for years but I don't think their attempts were very successful. So when the Red Velvet members once again teased that Chill Kill will be another attempt to combine their two concepts/sounds, I was very much elated and I had a feeling this attempt will finally be a success. And I was right. Chill Kill, with its unmistakable Velvet verses and Red chorus, was exactly what I wanted and more. And with the addition of that showstopping middle 8, Chill Kill truly cemented its place in @Slice of Life's list of best Red Velvet singles. Literally no notes.

Of course, when I first heard that chorus, I knew immediately that Chill Kill would be a tough sell. I know everyone was expecting a pure Velvet song especially with all the iconique teaser photos and videos suggesting it would be. So yeah, I totally get all the criticisms thrown at Chill Kill. With that said, I still think it's an outstanding song that would only get better in time. I'm happy that Red Velvet took a gamble with the song instead of going with the safer choice which was Knock Knock (I think the girls suggested it was almost the single but don't quote me on that!).

Red Velvet are expected to make a comeback with a new mini album in the second quarter of this year. So it's most probably a summer comeback... which means another Red single, kii! Oh well, I'm ready to fight with y'all again and defend that song with every inch of my being once it drops. Bring it on!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@eatyourself (1): "I'm still in disbelief this song exists. And the middle 8 being the only good part only makes it worse for me."

@aux (2): "Their biggest title track misfire by a country mile. I don’t understand what was going through their minds making this, releasing it, filming a music video and not once pondering if the song was good."

@KimLippington (3): "All I know is this better not be their disbandment single. Boot."

@love choerry motion (3): "I might get jumped but I have to speak my truth. I was actually feeling this song until the second part of the chorus, it's just so awful to me it ruins the entire thing. Also I really hate how the song ends into nothing, I feel like it could have been grander. They get a point for the British drill beat bass or whatever is going on though. "Bring me lightning like a winner" is just not working for me, whoever's pen that was ran out of ink. Sawwryy to any Chill Kill enjoyers I tried... an improvement to Queendom though!"

@BEST FICTION (4): "The verses are so promising and lead me into the false expectation of a Velvet release, but the chorus is so grating. Completely loses me."

@Macsun (5.5): "sigh"

@Ana Raquel (6): "Probably the most overrated single in Red Velvet's entire career. It's kind of a non-event."

@Cotton Park (6): "i love these five like daughters and have flown to strange places to see them live on a moment's notice and still would in a heartbeat, but this, though decidedly not totally awful, is a little awful. not what i wanted for a much needed rv comeback at all, but i've seen this pattern with SM and am pretty sure I don't like it."

@soratami (6): "Easily their worst title over the last few years, if not ever. This chorus is a complete disaster"

@enjoy (6.5): "Fine i don't hate it anymore, but i still think this is such a disappointing release when everything else was gearing up to have a velvet comeback, that cheesy ass chorus got me so mad. It has grown on me a bitsy, but im not rushing anytime soon to listen this."

@Salami (6.5): "It's not a bad song but I don't think I'll ever listen to it again. Not even memorable in a Birthday way. I think they were going for a repeat of Psycho but missed it by a long way."

@ysev (7): "It's OKAY..sigh"

@savilizabeths (9): "While I enjoyed their last couple of releases, this is the most I’ve liked a Red Velvet title track in quite a long while. The atmosphere reminds me of Psycho in a lot of ways, just with a brighter chorus."

@Vixen (9): "I quite enjoyed it honestly. Sounds like a Red Velvet song, but doesn't sound rehashed. Very nice bridge, as expected of SM I guess ddd."

@Attis (10): "What an amazing and perfect successor to Feel My Rhythm, I will always be a fan of the gorgeous RV / SM harmonies. That final chorus is just *chef kiss*, but of course tasteless f*ggots in here will probably scream this is boring or not innovative enough "

@boom bazooka joe (10): "Invented Motherdom. Kind of out of nowhere became my favorite title track of theirs since their Post-Wendy accident return. Joyriah Carey on that bridge?! I hear God! WHAT A CHILL KILL. I KNOW YOU WILL. BRING ME LIGHTNING. LIKE A WINNNNNNER!!!!!"

@clowezra (10): "Is it their best title track? No! And yet it's still a masterclass in k-pop and continues to set them apart from their contemporaries. Hooks upon hooks, they all sound amazing, the bonkers production and that mammoth middle 8 make this yet another home run for them. The chorus is so stupidly catchy too, they just get me gals!"

@eccentricsimply (10): "I was never a Hater of this song but I did underestimate it when it came out beacuse now I'm flat out obsessed ddddddddd I love it so much, the bridge is top tier bridges like Ever. Incredible."

@ultraviolet (10): "It was me. It was they murdered in the music video"

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Slice of Life

Staff member
@eatyourself (1): "I'm still in disbelief this song exists. And the middle 8 being the only good part only makes it worse for me."

@aux (2): "Their biggest title track misfire by a country mile. I don’t understand what was going through their minds making this, releasing it, filming a music video and not once pondering if the song was good."

@KimLippington (3): "All I know is this better not be their disbandment single. Boot."

@love choerry motion (3): "I might get jumped but I have to speak my truth. I was actually feeling this song until the second part of the chorus, it's just so awful to me it ruins the entire thing. Also I really hate how the song ends into nothing, I feel like it could have been grander. They get a point for the British drill beat bass or whatever is going on though. "Bring me lightning like a winner" is just not working for me, whoever's pen that was ran out of ink. Sawwryy to any Chill Kill enjoyers I tried... an improvement to Queendom though!"

@BEST FICTION (4): "The verses are so promising and lead me into the false expectation of a Velvet release, but the chorus is so grating. Completely loses me."

@Macsun (5.5): "sigh"

@Ana Raquel (6): "Probably the most overrated single in Red Velvet's entire career. It's kind of a non-event."

@Cotton Park (6): "i love these five like daughters and have flown to strange places to see them live on a moment's notice and still would in a heartbeat, but this, though decidedly not totally awful, is a little awful. not what i wanted for a much needed rv comeback at all, but i've seen this pattern with SM and am pretty sure I don't like it."

@soratami (6): "Easily their worst title over the last few years, if not ever. This chorus is a complete disaster"

@enjoy (6.5): "Fine i don't hate it anymore, but i still think this is such a disappointing release when everything else was gearing up to have a velvet comeback, that cheesy ass chorus got me so mad. It has grown on me a bitsy, but im not rushing anytime soon to listen this."

@Salami (6.5): "It's not a bad song but I don't think I'll ever listen to it again. Not even memorable in a Birthday way. I think they were going for a repeat of Psycho but missed it by a long way."

@ysev (7): "It's OKAY..sigh"
84d.gif

It was so, so bad for me and my girls…..