#KSO⚖Y2023: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2023 Rate | #8: "Not this dripping pearlescent pearls?!!!!"

Slice of Life

Staff member

Y'all to me after this elimination:

renezhuo-wonyoung.gif

59.png

wave.gif

SUPERJUSTICE:
@eatyourself
HIGH: (10) @Attis, @codecat, @eatyourself, @eliminathan, @Macsun, @soratami (9.75) @TéléDex (9.5) @BEST FICTION (9) @junglefish, @love choerry motion, @Remorque, @Salami, @tj-x
LOW: (4) @Serg. (4.5) @eccentricsimply (5) @askew, @aux
MY SCORE: 6

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 26
20 voters: 35
30 voters: 59
40 voters: 54
50 voters: 56
52 voters: 59
Two songs out, two songs left. Tonight, IVE loses their second song in the rate, the Japanese single Wave.

Wave is the title track of IVE's first Japanese mini album. It was composed by Ryan S. Jhun, Gustav Landell, Simon Jonasson, Kristin Carpenter and Pateko Stally with lyrics written by Hiromi. Wave was, uh, kind of a flop for IVE, only peaking at number 62 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 Chart.

2023 was a very busy year for IVE. Gone were the days when they only released two-track single albums. In 2023, they gave us one full album, two mini albums, five singles and one collaboration song with Pepsi. Hardworking kweens! I feel like their Japanese output didn't get that much attention and listening to Wave again... well, let's just there's a reason why it didn't get that much attention, kii!

The verses are great. For some reason, I also really like the whip sound effect. And... that's about everything I like about Wave. I think the production is pretty basic and very un-IVE-like. But the biggest letdown for me is definitely the chorus. Sorry but as a chorus connoisseur, Wave's chorus just doesn't do it for me. In a year where IVE gave us a whole full album of songs with memorable choruses, Wave's chorus just doesn't cut it.

IVE has recently announced that they will be making their long-awaited Korean comeback with their second Korean mini album, IVE Switch, which will be released on April 29th. Pls anticip8!

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@aux (5): "It’s so forgettable, sorry."

@boom bazooka joe (6.5): "Like the production in the verses."

@savilizabeths (7.5): "I don’t love it as much as their Korean output. I don’t love the production. It just feels messy and scrambled to me."

@YRSHKD (8.25): "The Classic >>>" [Slicey: Oh here's the tea!]

@clowezra (8.5): "There's definitely something missing here but when it hits it hits. The whip effect is straight fire."

@Salami (9): "That whip noise is so stupid, what's the point of it? It's all over the song, I don't think it has anything to do with it, they just felt like throwing it in every 10 seconds. I love it. Song is very Little Mix but that's not always a bad thing. They should've deleted Baddie and put this out instead. The random "YUH" towards the end as well. This song is very un-IVE, they seem like they have no personality but this song is just fun." [Slicey: I rebuke the notion that the IVE girlies have no personality!!!]

@Attis (10): "Me Too by Meghan Trainor if they slayed"

@codecat (10): "Add random vocoder parts and it could be a Bloodshy & Avant song from 2007 – it's delicious...kinda like a lighter, less intense but still SUPER cunty progression from LOVE DIVE. IVE kinda won this year tbh"

@Macsun (10): "I mean come on."

@soratami (10): "The way a well utilised whip sound effect can elevate any song should be studied"

@eatyourself (10): "They graduated at Cunt School with flying colors and are now enrolling at the Superior Institute of Motherly Studies."

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Slice of Life

Staff member
So.........

About that K-Popjustice Charts number 1 song that will be eliminated first.......

Tonight's the night........

gowon-loona.gif

58.png

sensitive.gif

HIGH:
(10) @Conan, @enjoy, @love choerry motion, @savilizabeths, @Vixen, @YRSHKD (9.5) @He, @Trinu 3.0 (9.25) @Oleander (9) @Ana Raquel, @aux, @codecat, @GeiPanda, @leedlelee..., @PopZeitgeist, @roblognick, @Shockbox, @soratami, @vague, @ysev
LOW: (1) @Attis (3.5) @eccentricsimply (4.5) @Serg.
MY SCORE: 8.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 52
20 voters: 38
30 voters: 42
40 voters: 61
50 voters: 55
52 voters: 58
And the first K-Popjustice Charts number 1 song to exit the competition is none other than Loossemble's Sensitive. Kinda gagged tbh. Like, Orbits, what the fuck happened here?

For the uninitiated, Loossemble is a newly debuted girl group with not-so-new members. All five members of Loossemble are former (?) members of LOONA. These members are HyunJin, ViVi, YeoJin, GoWon and HyeJu (fka Olivia Hye). And I'm just gonna assume y'all already know the history/lore of LOONA because it's gonna take us a while if I give y'all a rundown of what happened to those kweens. Anyway, Loossemble debuted with the single Sensitive, taken from their eponymous first mini album. It was written by Hwang Yu-bin (XYXX) and composed by C'sa, Clovd (WSHL:ST), Kwon Deok-geun (WSHL:ST) and Puff. Sensitive didn't enter the Circle Digital Chart but it peaked at number 121 on the component Download Chart.

When the members of Loossemble were first revealed, I'm not gonna lie, I was very worried. I mean, let's not even sugarcoat things; these members are not exactly known for their vocals. So who's gonna sing? It turned out... it was all of them. And for some reason, it... actually worked? Talent! No but seriously, kudos to these girls for actually delivering and proving the doubters (including me) wrong. I'm not saying these girls gave us the best vocal performance of the year but they sounded good and that to me is what ultimately counts.

The production is also perfect for Loossemble's vibe. It's fun, it's bright, it's youthful. And IT'S NOT GIRL CRUSH, THANK YOU @God! It's truly a perfect fit for Loossemble. I'm sure the girls and their music will only get better but Sensitive is definitely a solid first step for them.

Make sure to support Loossemble's upcoming comeback this April 15th! They will release their second mini album, One of a Kind.

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Attis (1): "I'm utterly confused when Orbits are stanning this bc what ? This is aggresively shit, like I'm sorry I love Gowon and rooting for the underrated but I can't defend this. That muted, static bassline and annoying vocal chops, without any hints of progression on the melody. It's one thing to be shit, but boring and shit at the same time is truly the new low"

@eccentricsimply (3.5): "Whenever I think about this group, I think about the tweet asking 'who's going to sing?' and I'm sorry but I still haven't gotten a reply to that question. I feel like people are attempting to gaslight me whenever they insist this song is the best post LOONA release." [Slicey: FFFFFFF well I agree it's not the best post-LOONA release.]

@thommyh (5.25): "This song is lowkey like unlistenable after the first chorus but I don't wanna fight fellow orbits about it coz I like the rest of the mini. But having that annoying ass beat competing with that shitty chorus...I was taken prisoner in the ijbol war."

@clowezra (6.5): "This is just a bit nothingy for a title track? It's not bad it's just unremarkable. Newtopia deserved!" [Slicey: And the rate results agree as Newtopia is still in the competition!]

@Crisp X (7.5): "The bridge... c'mon, VOCALS!"

@ultraviolet (8): "Yeojin ha main vocal capabilities finally shining."

@aux (9): "This is such a good lil’ track. It’s a perfect debut for them."

@codecat (9): "The high note kwdjfhdksjf mama that's history!! Ahhhhh....haaããããããaaãããaAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" [Slicey: Byeeee]

@soratami (9): "Perfect mix of cunty and cute"

@ysev (9): "Call me crazy but this kinda reminds of of FEARLESS. So cool and understated. Except for that high note in the bridge kii. Bless their hearts." [Slicey: Wait because your comparison makes sense to me!]

@savilizabeths (10): "God, I love this song! I will be singing this chorus until the day I die. I adore the harmonies and I think all their unique vocal colours really make it stand out. Not only is the song fantastic but is the concepts, the video, the vibes. Immaculate. Special shout out to Miss Yeojin, who is a star."

@Vixen (10): "Proved everyone wrong, kweens x Hyunjin, you will always be famous, pretty and talented." [Slicey: Please don't kill us because of this elimination, unnie!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

he/him
So.........

About that K-Popjustice Charts number 1 song that will be eliminated first.......

Tonight's the night........

gowon-loona.gif

58.png

sensitive.gif

HIGH:
(10) @Conan, @enjoy, @love choerry motion, @savilizabeths, @Vixen, @YRSHKD (9.5) @He, @Trinu 3.0 (9.25) @Oleander (9) @Ana Raquel, @aux, @codecat, @GeiPanda, @leedlelee..., @PopZeitgeist, @roblognick, @Shockbox, @soratami, @vague, @ysev
LOW: (1) @Attis (3.5) @eccentricsimply (4.5) @Serg.
MY SCORE: 8.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:
10 voters: 52
20 voters: 38
30 voters: 42
40 voters: 61
50 voters: 55
52 voters: 58
And the first K-Popjustice Charts number 1 song to exit the competition is none other than Loossemble's Sensitive. Kinda gagged tbh. Like, Orbits, what the fuck happened here?

For the uninitiated, Loossemble is a newly debuted girl group with not-so-new members. All five members of Loossemble are former (?) members of LOONA. These members are HyunJin, ViVi, YeoJin, GoWon and HyeJu (fka Olivia Hye). And I'm just gonna assume y'all already know the history/lore of LOONA because it's gonna take us a while if I give y'all a rundown of what happened to those kweens. Anyway, Loossemble debuted with the single Sensitive, taken from their eponymous first mini album. It was written by Hwang Yu-bin (XYXX) and composed by C'sa, Clovd (WSHL:ST), Kwon Deok-geun (WSHL:ST) and Puff. Sensitive didn't enter the Circle Digital Chart but it peaked at number 121 on the component Download Chart.

When the members of Loossemble were first revealed, I'm not gonna lie, I was very worried. I mean, let's not even sugarcoat things; these members are not exactly known for their vocals. So who's gonna sing? It turned out... it was all of them. And for some reason, it... actually worked? Talent! No but seriously, kudos to these girls for actually delivering and proving the doubters (including me) wrong. I'm not saying these girls gave us the best vocal performance of the year but they sounded good and that to me is what ultimately counts.

The production is also perfect for Loossemble's vibe. It's fun, it's bright, it's youthful. And IT'S NOT GIRL CRUSH, THANK YOU @God! It's truly a perfect fit for Loossemble. I'm sure the girls and their music will only get better but Sensitive is definitely a solid first step for them.

Make sure to support Loossemble's upcoming comeback this April 15th! They will release their second mini album, One of a Kind.

THE JURY'S THOUGHTS:
@Attis (1): "I'm utterly confused when Orbits are stanning this bc what ? This is aggresively shit, like I'm sorry I love Gowon and rooting for the underrated but I can't defend this. That muted, static bassline and annoying vocal chops, without any hints of progression on the melody. It's one thing to be shit, but boring and shit at the same time is truly the new low"

@eccentricsimply (3.5): "Whenever I think about this group, I think about the tweet asking 'who's going to sing?' and I'm sorry but I still haven't gotten a reply to that question. I feel like people are attempting to gaslight me whenever they insist this song is the best post LOONA release." [Slicey: FFFFFFF well I agree it's not the best post-LOONA release.]

@thommyh (5.25): "This song is lowkey like unlistenable after the first chorus but I don't wanna fight fellow orbits about it coz I like the rest of the mini. But having that annoying ass beat competing with that shitty chorus...I was taken prisoner in the ijbol war."

@clowezra (6.5): "This is just a bit nothingy for a title track? It's not bad it's just unremarkable. Newtopia deserved!" [Slicey: And the rate results agree as Newtopia is still in the competition!]

@Crisp X (7.5): "The bridge... c'mon, VOCALS!"

@ultraviolet (8): "Yeojin ha main vocal capabilities finally shining."

@aux (9): "This is such a good lil’ track. It’s a perfect debut for them."

@codecat (9): "The high note kwdjfhdksjf mama that's history!! Ahhhhh....haaããããããaaãããaAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" [Slicey: Byeeee]

@soratami (9): "Perfect mix of cunty and cute"

@ysev (9): "Call me crazy but this kinda reminds of of FEARLESS. So cool and understated. Except for that high note in the bridge kii. Bless their hearts." [Slicey: Wait because your comparison makes sense to me!]

@savilizabeths (10): "God, I love this song! I will be singing this chorus until the day I die. I adore the harmonies and I think all their unique vocal colours really make it stand out. Not only is the song fantastic but is the concepts, the video, the vibes. Immaculate. Special shout out to Miss Yeojin, who is a star."

@Vixen (10): "Proved everyone wrong, kweens x Hyunjin, you will always be famous, pretty and talented." [Slicey: Please don't kill us because of this elimination, unnie!]

THE FINAL VERDICT:

notguilty.png

Aw I love them so much but they’re capable of better aren’t they! I’m sure their upcoming title track will make up for the mid experience here.

I say this as a fan but after witnessing debut of 85 girls with same voice in Triple S, you know what I will cherish a struggle but able line up of girls that is Loosemble. HyunJin and Yeojin… you are doing amazing sweeties.

I will pretend that I didn’t see the Drama slander. Hopefully it will rightfully make it to top 5. Aespa had a wonderful year, and like the material is the proof of that!