#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | #74 | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | #74

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 14, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @Reboot, @Coming Century, @Sanctuary, @nikkysan, @yuuurei, @junglefish, @vague, @Love Deluxe (9.5) @Slice of Life, @Rem (9.25) @Oleander
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Mikl C, @Serg. (4.5) @Gintoki (5) @ryjm, @Ana Raquel, @Empty Shoebox, @Vesperly, @Vixen (5.25) @Dangerous Maknae (5.5) @Sanctuary (6) @Island, @Remorque, @soratami
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 9.5

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 11 (average: 8.35000)
    10 voters: 56 (average: 7.10000)
    15 voters: 42 (average: 7.60000)
    20 voters: 56 (average: 7.60000)
    25 voters: 60 (average: 7.62000)
    30 voters: 62 (average: 7.59167)
    35 voters: 65 (average: 7.61429)
    40 voters: 67 (average: 7.61250)
    45 voters: 73 (average: 7.57778)
    48 voters: 80 (average: 7.46875)

That leaderboard journey genuinely hurt me. I'm so sorry, my DAY6 babies.

Days Gone By is a song taken from DAY6's fourth mini album, Remember Us: Youth Part 2. With the exception of Dowoon, all the members participated in writing/producing the song. Talented dads!

Days Gone By is definitely a new sound for DAY6. The boys have tackled a number of genres already but Days Gone By is easily their most surprising single yet. It is so shamelessly 80s that I can't help but smile at the effort. And as a sucker for this type of sound, I absolutely adore this.

The verses are pitch perfect in setting the 80s vibes. And that pre-chorus is the best part of the song. The middle 8 is also a moment. I do think the chorus is just a tad... lacking (hence my measly score of 9.5 dddd). But as a whole, it is another superb effort from the best band of all time. Kekeke.

I still bitterly remember how not one DAY6 song qualified for the 2017 SOTY Rate - even though the boys released 12 (!!!) singles and two full albums with songs that range from good to fucking amazing. But look at them now. Ranking 80th in a rate doesn't seem all that amazing. But to a super stan like me, this is a fantastic achievement already. Days Gone By has outranked every song by EXO, NCT, GOT7 and Monsta X - boy groups that have much bigger followings. I'm not gonna be hypocritical; I would've loved for DAY6 to rank even higher. But for now, this is enough for me.

And Dowoon remains as the best male idol in history. I said what I said.

Let's start our comments section with the haters-turned-(slight)-fans. Wills: "I’ve disliked everything else I’ve heard by them (and watching the video for this kind of reminds me why), but this is lovely. I love a chorus that sounds obvious in all the right ways." ThighHighs too: "Ok, this is giving me some kinda Peter Gabriel vibes? I love it! I have only heard a few of their songs, and they all seemed to be much more… serious-faced? This is a really fun, cute song! I love this concept for them and hope it was successful?" The album sold well but the song didn't chart at all dddddd. That's Big 3 Privilege for ya!

Empty Shoebox admits: "Nice retro synths going on here, but the rest of the song does nothing for me." Miyawakiwi demands more than cuteness: "it’s cute and all, but idk, there’s not much going on." Salami's expectations were not completely met: "This is the most not-from-the-80s 80s song I’ve heard in a long time. Could’ve done with a less cheesy chorus though, it started off so strong." Serg. betrayed me: "I'm a fan of Day6 music, especially Shoot Me & Congratulations but this just doesn't really hold my attention at all." eccentricsimply threatened to give this a zero but in the end she settled with a 7: "I can't believe y'all forced me to listen to a DAY6 song after I told to myself I wouldn't do that ever again back in 2017... The premise of this one was actually pretty good and it started out very strong and I don't even dislike it at all, but it just... I'm a sucker for retro songs, but this didn't tickle my fancy as much as I wanted it to." Where is this hate coming from, unnie? Make me understand.

And yes, I lumped all the disbelievers' comments in one paragraph. You're welcome. Now let's go to the adoring fans!

"HELLO NEW FAVOURITE SONG," Reboot announces and YATH TASTE. ryjm also discovered talent: "Oh wait at this being super CAMP! Serving me Wonder Girls (Male Version) vibes, this is surprisingly enjoyable in all its nostalgic glory. I love how they committed to the retro aesthetic and served some high definition low-fi corny visuals." And my darling codecat discovered... dads?: "I'm full of drool etc watching these 80's new wave rockers!!! Sing dads!!!!!! That smooth falsetto in the end yasss." STAN BIH.

He recognizes that I am a DAY6 whore: "Oh this is quite nice, retro bop. Go Slicé’s babies." And well hello there, yuuurei, my fellow DAY6 stan: "DAY6 is the only boy band/group whose music I really pay any attention to, and while I wouldn't say this is my favorite track of theirs ever, it's still a really good one. This 80s throwback is a good style for them and they sound great." This makes me so happy! What are your favourite DAY6 songs???

We'll end this post with nikkysan who mentioned another band I'm actually obsessed with: "This sounds like something Paramore could do if they continued their After Laughter sound and made more throwback, so naturally I love this, might be my biggest discovery in the entire rate." YATHHHH! Hayley will kill these vocals!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Rem, Sanctuary, Oleander and 22 others like this.
  2. I inflated my score for you, Slicey.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
  3. Deserved much better.

4. On that note @Slice of Life why aren't you including my original scores? I left them in the commentary so that you could.

Slice of Life likes this.
  5. I'm really offended by this elimination, someone start a fight about it with me.

But seriously what the fuck is with y'all (read: anyone who gave that less than a 9) and your inability to recognize good music? I'm running out of ways to insult this collective lack of taste.
    [​IMG]
    Oh hmm I haven't really thought about it before! But aside from dgb, I really like Colors, that was the first song of theirs I ever heard and my top fave I think. I also like I Wait, Beautiful Feeling, I'll Remember, Shoot Me, Blood ... Breaking Down, Somehow and Baby It's Okay are also good, Say Wow and Be Lazy are cute ... idk! I put all their tracks that I like best in a playlist and it's at 45 songs so that should give you an idea how much I stan ww hbu?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Rem, codecat, Oleander and 7 others like this.
  6. It sounds like a Nick Jonas song..

Slice of Life likes this.
  7. That wasn't meant to be a sincere invitation!
    [​IMG]

Rem, Kuhleezi, ohnostalgia and 14 others like this.
  8. Sorry girls. No elimination for today. My WiFi has been dead since 7 in the morning and I've already used almost all of my data streaming Park Bom's new single JAJXJDKSJSJS.

And I will be very busy for the next few days so eliminations will be... sparse. But y'all know I'll try and post every now and then. Love you all and please don't kill me. ♡

Rem, Kuhleezi, Vixen and 14 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUPERSARANG: @Reboot
    GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @Reboot, @Cotton Park, @OspreyQueen, @FunkyButChic (9.5) @Conan (9) @Coming Century, @RUNAWAY, @Kuhleezi, @Oleander, @ThighHighs, @thommyh
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Dangerous Maknae (4.5) @Serg. (5) @Miyawakiwi, @Mikl C, @sweetlikegrande, @enjoy v2.0 (5.5) @Salami (6) @askew, @Remorque
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 8.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 55 (average: 6.90000)
    10 voters: 83 (average: 6.55000)
    15 voters: 80 (average: 7.05000)
    20 voters: 79 (average: 7.32500)
    25 voters: 74 (average: 7.44000)
    30 voters: 74 (average: 7.47500)
    35 voters: 72 (average: 7.52143)
    40 voters: 73 (average: 7.55625)
    45 voters: 76 (average: 7.56111)
    48 voters: 79 (average: 7.50521)

We go back to eliminating a Supersarang Song. It's been a long time huh. Not really.

The latest victim is DIA's Pick Up the Phone, a song taken from the group's fourth mini album, Summer Ade. And the funny thing is, this isn't even the single ddddd. WooWoo found rotting.

And I must say, Pick Up the Phone is a million miles better than WooWoo and I don't even hate WooWoo to begin with. Pick Up the Phone is surprisingly mature-sounding which I think isn't exactly DIA's concept. But my God do the girls sounds so at home in this.

I mean, that "my love, my LOVEEEE" in the middle 8 before the final chorus is everything. A fucking moment.

DIA are a group that debuted in 2015 but I don't think they have found their sound yet. And I'm not sure if MBK Entertainment will even bother taking them seriously. So if they're looking for a sound to further explore, I'd suggest Pick Up the Phone in a heartbeat. But their new comeback single/album is upon us and I hope they find their stride soon. My babygirl Chaeyeon does not deserve this level of floppage.

People have brought up Girls' Generation when discussing this song. yuuurei is quite fond of it: "I spaced out and thought this was another SNSD track, it sounds like something they'd have done in like 2012-2013. That was one of my favorite SNSD eras though so I can't say I dislike it." ry123 takes it up a notch: "Such a strong album track, and possibly my favourite DIA song. Could be a SNSD album track quite easily." I wonder what our resident GG stan, @Dangerous Maknae, thinks if this? Oh right, he is the lowest scorer for the song dddddd.

Everyone's flop fave, Miss Tinashe Kachingwe, got a few shoutouts too. Wills is trying it: "Tinashe could never." And Oleander... does a lot but we still love him!: "Before I get to the song, let me just say this. This was a great mini and deserved more love. Secondly, I love you Kuhleezi so please don’t kill me for saying this, but WooWoo > Superlove. WooWoo should have made the rate and it’s a shame it didn’t. Tinashe didn’t die a second time so that y’all could let WooWoo flop harder than the Korean GP. (The first time was when 9Muses borrowed her All Hands On Deck concept for the Hurt Locker video.) I guess I really am a little…..let me say DIAster because I am not going to use the official fan name, thanks. Moving on…..Pick Up The Phone is very, very, very good. Maybe not my absolute favorite by Yebin and the girls but it’s still up there."

Serg. mentions a flop-turned-famous fave: "I will be listening to Dua Lips advice on this one." eccentricsimply suggests: "Would've gotten a higher score if only the chorus was better." And askew was expecting for more: "It's nice, but a little limp. I don't know if it's the mix, but the vocals don't quite match up to how vast the song feels."

RUNAWAY is a WooWooster: "it’s kind of sad that Woo Woo isn’t here, but this song is a huge jam too, so I’m not too mad." He discovered a bop: "Oh, look. This is good and interesting." codecat too!: "Wait at this being very good right from the beginning. Some points were made with this Supersarang!"

"No shade, the best song DIA have put out. If they could always make music this exciting, maybe they would have fans," shades ThighHighs and I may have screamed. thommyh comes out as a momma's girl: "YAAAAASS! Song title serving my mum at any hour of the day, teas." Dddddd, why is this so relatable???

I wonder if ryjm indeed checked out the Summer Ade mini: "Oh I love this! I’m a sucker for this kind of song, the production is heaven and I need to make that chorus my actual ringtone (then I might actually not be quite as terrified to answer the damn phone ddd). This is just so dreamy and gorgeous. I’m checking out the mini for sure." And Cotton Park may be our biggest AID here on KPJ: "My favorite album track of the 2018. The lush electronics, the chord changes, the depth. In fact, this album might just be my Under The Radar album of the year."

Last word to the one who submitted this Supersarang, Reboot: "Whoever submitted this song must have really good taste. Oh wait, it’s me!!" ICONIQUE.

10. Honestly it felt a little weird including them in the post ddddd. Don't kill me. ♡
    That gif... does this mean you are also Dowoon-biased??? Please say yes.

We have such different fave songs from DAY6 jajdhjsjsks. I definitely love their cornier, slower songs kii. But they don't have a bad song so...

vague, eliminathan and yuuurei like this.
  11. He

He

It's a shame DIA was never given a sound nor an identity. Do they sell enough to justify more comebacks? Or are they living of Chaeyeon's acting and CF coin?

Oleander, vague, ryjm and 2 others like this.
  12. Tea! I'm gonna run from @Kuhleezi now

[​IMG]

Oleander, vague, eliminathan and 3 others like this.
  13. ohnostalgia, Oleander, vague and 5 others like this.
  14. The only WooWoo I know is spelled with an H and it's by Xtina

Next!

Vixen, Oleander, vague and 8 others like this.
  15. I don't remember this DIA song very well but it seems I liked it so boo to this. Can Mamamoo like ... go, soon? I get that some of y'all apparently like them but that track honestly wasn't that good.
    www I used that gif just for you tbh but he cute, he cute! I don't really have a bias though. Altho actually I do have kind of a soft spot for that aegyo doofus Wonpil. Like I want to adopt him.
    Exactly! Chances are whichever songs are your faves, I probably like them too because I just like them all pretty much. /embarrassing stannage

Oleander, vague, eliminathan and 2 others like this.
  16. Slice of Life likes this.
  17. Dddd (I don't remember the song so I can't say if it's similar or not but) I'm screaming.

Vixen, Oleander, vague and 1 other person like this.
  18. [​IMG]

Rem, Vixen, vague and 6 others like this.
  19. Oop we're losing another 11 in the next few hours.

[​IMG]

Rem, Vixen, vague and 8 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUPERSARANG: @RUNAWAY
    GENEROUS UNNIES: (11) @RUNAWAY (10) @Ana Raquel, @yuuurei, @Slice of Life, @Oleander (9) @ThighHighs, @ohnostalgia, @Island, @thommyh
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Serg. (4.75) @savilizabeths (5) @Reboot, @Salami, @Vesperly (5.5) @Gintoki (6) @Coming Century, @Mikl C, @Rem, @GeiPanda, @Wills
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 10

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 98 (average: 5.75000)
    10 voters: 73 (average: 6.67500)
    15 voters: 63 (average: 7.35000)
    20 voters: 75 (average: 7.41250)
    25 voters: 63 (average: 7.60000)
    30 voters: 71 (average: 7.49167)
    35 voters: 68 (average: 7.57857)
    40 voters: 69 (average: 7.60625)
    45 voters: 73 (average: 7.57778)
    48 voters: 78 (average: 7.51042)

And Kween BoA finally loses her first song. She still has 5 left though. Talent. But we also say goodbye to @RUNAWAY's 11 and Supersarang Song. This is Nega Dola.

Nega Dola, which roughly translates to "I'm going crazy," is taken from BoA's first mini album, One Shot, Two Shot. Nega Dola was pre-released and promoted briefly before the album dropped.

And I can't lie, this is probably my favourite BoA song of last year JKASGFKG. Or if not, this is definitely my most listened to. It just doesn't let up. It is so much fun to lipsync and dance to. Not that I lipsynced and danced to this, no. Absolutely not.

Nega Dola has a very Latin flavour to it especially with the use of the guitars. And even though the Latin influences are strong, it doesn't sound trend-chasing. I mean, it doesn't sound remotely like big Latin hits like Despacito. I'm pretty sure this was the first time Miss Kwon 'rapped' which was definitely a surprise on first listen. BoA's rapping is very cringeworthy, I'm not gonna lie, but I can't help but stan Rapper Kwon in all her embarrassing glory. It's so bad that it somehow became good dddddd.

Nega Dola's visuals are a treat too. Aside from potentially problematic hairstyles (a K-Pop commodity at this point), I really enjoyed the more ~tacky but make it high fashion~ attack to the visuals. BoA's fashion has been very feminine in the last few years which I can't fault because unnie looks very good in it. But I do enjoy when artists throw a major curve ball once in a while and Nega Dola's styling definitely was just that. It really matches the "crazy" concept of the song.

Nega Dola is definitely divisive. You either love it or hate it. And I love it unabashedly.

Lowest scorer Serg. shushes me: "This was a big ass CHOICE, the song is screechy and the rapping is obviously not her strongest suit and not gonna forget those awful hairstyles taking the inspo from Sandara Park's book." Nawt this dig at Dara, no ma'am. You'll pay for this, unnie. Miyawakiwi is left a little disappointed: "BoA has the talent and presence to pull off everything, and this song needs all of that and more for her to make it work, the music is a bit over the top." And He denies BoA of a higher average: "I don’t want to enable this styling from BoA with a high score, but this song serves. PRA! So much attitude. I love it."

All the other comments are positive. Yath.

codecat shades our KPJC choices dddd: "You little trolls voting for EVERYBODY KNOWS to go top 5 on the KPJC INSTEAD OF THIS was an act of bamboozlement and tomfoolery taken to dizzying heights but whew God bless the good Judy who picked this as their Supersarang because OH YES THIS WAS IT. She's having such a good time here and it shows, I love seeing her feeling herself so much on the video. And that high note! Perfect." Everybody Knows is good so shut your trap, hoe. eccentricsimply recognizes the legend that is BoA Kwon: "It's BoA. She can do no wrong. I love it that she took a definite risk with this one and still paid off because it's a good song." ThighHighs is feeling flamenco-y: "This feels like it came out 3 years ago at this point. Y’all hated it, but I’ve always gotten my lil flamenco dancing emoji life with this." And thommyh just says: "YAAASS!!" Tea.

yuuurei stans the song's message: "Bitch, yes. I would love this just for the lyrics but it's also a catchy af tune. She's super cute in the video too." ryjm stans AND calls out the fuckboys: "Eugh what a funky little bop. My lordt unnie did not come to fuck around, the lyrics are scathing and I live for the drama. Sis has no time for the fuckboys (preach unnie). I thought this was just a nice bop, but learning the lyrics added a whole new layer of bite and fierceness which completely changed my perception of the song. Serve my queen." YATH.

I'm now gonna give the floor to RUNAWAY. I'm so sorry for this loss, unnie: "I really just HAD TO. This was my favorite BoA song of the last year and I listened to it SO MUCH last year. At the end of the year, I was certain I’d probably stop listening to it so much, but here I am, at the end of January, playing it on repeat another 10 times listening to it for the rate. Queen of LONGEVITY!" Talent does lose sometimes huh.

Sanctuary, Rem, Vixen and 22 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.