#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 70 | The Popjustice Forum

#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Love you, unnie!

Rem, Kuhleezi, Oleander and 7 others like this.
  2. @Slice of Life came to me for commentary organizing tips, so direct some of the ire my way please

. [​IMG]

Rem, BEST FICTION, soratami and 14 others like this.
  3. We have another double elimination for tonight.

Buckle up because it's gonna be messy. I think?

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

SUPERSARANG: @evilsin
    GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @ryjm, @evilsin, @Ana Raquel, @He, @OspreyQueen, @Oleander, @ohnostalgia, @Island (9.75) @yuuurei (9) @Cotton Park, @nikkysan, @Conan, @Kuhleezi, @eccentricsimply, @Love Deluxe, @PopZeitgeist, @thommyh, @GeiPanda, @soratami
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Sanctuary, @Mikl C, @Empty Shoebox (5) @Salami, @Dangerous Maknae (5.25) @@Slice of Life, @eliminathan (6) @Reboot, @junglefish, @ry123, @askew, @Vixen
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 5.25

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 98 (average: 5.75000)
    10 voters: 89 (average: 6.42500)
    15 voters: 72 (average: 7.20000)
    20 voters: 67 (average: 7.51250)
    25 voters: 70 (average: 7.50000)
    30 voters: 68 (average: 7.53333)
    35 voters: 63 (average: 7.64286)
    40 voters: 60 (average: 7.81250)
    45 voters: 67 (average: 7.70556)
    48 voters: 63 (average: 7.75521)

Oop, ready to be dragged to hell and back for that score.

We lose another Supersarang which is honestly a sentence I'm tired of typing dddd. But yes, this time we say goodbye to Yeseo's Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe.

Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe is taken from Yeseo's first album, Damn Rules. Yeseo is probably K-Indiejustice's HBIC as of the moment and for good reason. The good unnie is all kinds of amazing. She's cool as fuck and not just in the aesthetic sense. Her talent as a producer is, I think, what really draws the fans in.

Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe is definitely an acquired taste. It is not something we hear from mainstream Korean artists that often. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard this sound before Yeseo. We love a pioneering kween! Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe is focused more on the production than the vocals, or commercial appeal, or catchiness of the song. I truly struggled when I was rating this. I know it's not a bad song. The production is stellar and Yeseo's vocals are the best kind of icy. But Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe just didn't grab me. It's not the type of music I am interested in - K-Pop or otherwise.

Yeseo's presence in the Korean music scene is such a breath of fresh air. Female Korean producers are not exactly the most in-demand producers in the Korean music scene. But with Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe (and the whole Damn Rules album) getting critical acclaim, I hope to see more female creators share their work too. Yeseo is just the start - and a very good start at that.

Miyawakiwi is unconvinced: "First time listening to her, i like her voice, the song is nice but not really my style." And Empty Shoebox ignores Yeseo's request: "I think I might have. Sorry. Not feeling this at all."

yuuurei yells: "Absolutely love this frosty groove. She's a really interesting artist." ThighHighs summons Janet sunbaenim: "Sleek underground sex club banger. It gives me bit of Janet vibes back when she was sexy." While OspreyQueen namedrops other talented women: "Without a doubt the most unique song in this rate. It’s like a Tinashe or Kelela song with the tempo doubled and the bass turned all the way up. I can’t believe I haven’t heard anyone do something like that before, because it’s an intoxicating vibe."

Kuhleezi pledges allegiance to Yeseo: "I appreciate Yeseo and what she's doing so much. K-Pop is much more exciting and vibrant because of this unnie." eccentricsimply is blown away: "This is so good, like damn. Yeseo remains an icon." And ryjm just found a new artist to obsess over: "Ok who the hell is this seductive goddess and why have I never heard of her!? “Honey don’t kill my vibe, my time is money” preach sister, I need this shit printed on a shirt or a card so I can just serve it to people when I ain’t got the time for their shit. This is a stone cold bop, the production is slick and hazy, and that pulsating base is simply salacious darling. I was so entranced by this that I can’t actually tell if she said anything other than that one line, but to be honest I don’t even care. I’m downloading the album as we speak..."

Serg. speaks for the power of the production: "I like her voice it kinda gives me BoA's color but the real winner here is the production." He continues spreading the Yeseo gospel: "Indie queen. I mean, the served an album of 10s. This is just a little representation of the talentry she offers. This is pristine and lush." And thommyh is just thankful: "YAAASS! thank you supersarang unnie, I have a new song to add to my playlist."

And speaking of that Supersarang Unnie, here's evilsin. Take us home with your words, unnie: "Duh. Of course my submission would get a full score from me. I can't express how glad I am that I stumbled upon this little album when I did. If the memory serves me right, it was all on @ohnostalgia's merit. Thanks, hun. Seriously, I've been putting the songs from this album on K-Popjustice charts for months, because they were so good and because I didn't listen to much else, dddd. It's immensely groovy and catchy, so it embraces you with its warm arms and doesn't let go. Ever."

Sanctuary, Rem, BEST FICTION and 22 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @evilsin, @Cotton Park, @RUNAWAY, @ohnostalgia, @Island (9.75) @FunkyButChic (9.5) @Conan, @Vixen (9) @Coming Century, @Dangerous Maknae, @Serg., @Love Deluxe, @Oleander, @thommyh, @Remorque, @soratami
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Wills (4.75) @sweetlikegrande (5) @Mikl C, @codecat, @Vesperly (6) @Salami, @junglefish, @ry123, @askew
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 7

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 39 (average: 7.30000)
    10 voters: 48 (average: 7.25000)
    15 voters: 58 (average: 7.40000)
    20 voters: 45 (average: 7.80000)
    25 voters: 49 (average: 7.80000)
    30 voters: 61 (average: 7.60833)
    35 voters: 71 (average: 7.54286)
    40 voters: 71 (average: 7.60000)
    45 voters: 64 (average: 7.73889)
    48 voters: 63 (average: 7.75521)

Icicle unnie @ohnostalgia will kill us for this result. Good grief.

Sober is Hyoyeon's first single as DJ HYO. The track features Ummet Ozcan, a Dutch-Turkish DJ. And I must say, HYO has shown immense improvement on this track.

Sober is actually an emotional song. Despite the song's joyous production, you can just feel the underlying sadness to it. It's rather stellar. If there's anything that I really love about the song, it's the production. Even the instrumental-heavy chorus somehow works.

I don't think I'll ever be a fan of HYO's voice which is still my biggest issue with the song but she genuinely stepped her vocal game here. The vocals in the "ganul su eopshi hwicheonggeorineun my love" portion are probably the best I've heard from HYO. Her fans should be proud of HYO's commitment to improving her craft. Kween.

Let's start with the haters. Wills is reminded of the dark past: "Gives me all the things I don’t miss about the summer of 2013 - that drop is liiiiimp, man." Empty Shoebox is not here for that chorus too: "The same as Solo by Jennie, the instrumental instead of a chorus is just disappointing. Without that it could maybe have got a nine." ry123 faults HYO's vocals: "As much as I love Hyoyeon, this song doesn’t quite reach the highs of Punk and her vocals are a bit unusual." And codecat... no words: "Eeek this treads the trot line sometimes." I hate that I hear it too ddddd.

Reboot wanted more personality: "I like the brand of pop she’s been releasing lately, but I can’t help but wish it was just a tad better. It’s a bit … faceless? Let’s go with that." OspreyQueen has some questions: "Is this…an official sample of Nico & Vinz? It sounds way too similar to be an accident." And Salami has outgrown Sober: "This is less good now than I thought it was when it was released but I’m just glad she is getting the opportunity to. Prefer the English version."

ryjm comes not just for HYO but Tiffany as well: "I discovered this fairly recently after I became unhealthy obsessed with Punk Right Now. The music video is simple yet affecting (if not a bit cliché). The good sis is not the most vocally talented but she has a really enjoyable and distinctive tone. The song is a tad on the basic side, but so am I. At least unnie kept the gays fed unlike some of her sistren (looking at you Tiffany). The English version is also surprisingly not awful, so that’s nice isn’t it." @Dangerous Maknae would like to talk to you in private, sizt. At least GeiPanda still supports HYO: "A bit generic, but I'm glad Hyo is continuing to live ha solo dreams." And thommyh would like to be excluded from the heterosexual narrative, thank u: "I like it, but the instrumentals and over-acted Modern Dance in solo scenes with dim Urban lighting really serve straight musique and I don't have the palate for that taste, sawry!"

Miyawakiwi sounds like my mom when she's talking about me, aww: "The song is nice and Hyo looks, dances and sings amazingly <3." Bless. ThighHighs rediscovers the gem that is Sober: "This kinda evaporated for me after April came and went, but coming back to this I… love it? I actually think Hyo’s voice sounds really good on this and the breakdown and structure is working for me. It’s kinda EDM by-the-numbers, but it’s well done by all." vague also commends HYO's improved vocals: "this is way better than it has any right to be 2bh. HYO's voice has never been one of my faves in SNSD (sorry @ohnostalgia!), but i really love how she sounds here."

eccentricsimply notes: "It's so funny to me that her music got a lot better when she decided to be a DJ." He is also ecstatic about HYO's viability as a solo star: "DJ HYO continues being flawless and this song proves it. Like who, WHO would have thought she would blossom into a reliable solo act? Queen." And Serg. recognizes HYO's meteoric rise to the top of the GG Pyramid: "Who would've thought that 2018 would be the year where Hyoyeon out of all the Girls Generation members makes a triumphant rise to the top of the pyramid with not 1 but 2 absolute incredible singles. Please keep releasing in 2019 queen." When it's right, it's right.

"this was the perfect re-branding for her solo career," RUNAWAY appraises. "It’s such a lyrically great song, no matter what language." Cotton Park has one request: "I'm dying for the longer version that keeps going just when it takes off instead of ending. Great song." And Vixen needed reminding that yes, HYO is killing it: "I feel like I shouldn’t be liking this as much I do, but like… It’s actually…genuinely good? Like I’m not even actually overscoring it for whatever reason, I’ve just always enjoyed this and thought it was a solid effort, not even for Hyoyeon’s standards, but just in general. Like this bops massively hard, you can’t deny that surely?"

Let's end the post with an evilsin story time!: "It took me a bit to arrive at the destination, but damn, Hyoyeon did that. And by that I mean provide such massive bops, ugh, it hurts. Hands down the best part is the ending with the added lines to the last breakdown, as they make it so much more fulfilling and deserving of a full score."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Sanctuary, Rem, BEST FICTION and 24 others like this.
  5. I can't @ the commentary mess
    Cosplay? I'm from venezuela lmao

Rem, BEST FICTION, Mikl C and 15 others like this.
  6. He

He

omg me too bih!!

Rem, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 12 others like this.
  7. JSHSUSJSUS I genuinely thought you were from Indonesia. I have no explanation why though.

I apologize.

Rem, BEST FICTION, Kuhleezi and 15 others like this.
  8. Ok so Sober is out but y'all are keeping Punk Right Now in?

That kind of voting just seems..... wreckless.

9. And guess who was also born in Venezuela...........me

[​IMG]

Rem, BEST FICTION, soratami and 15 others like this.
  10. Guess we found our new favourite KPJ subunit huh.

Rem, BEST FICTION, Deja-Boo and 15 others like this.
  11. Ok. I see. Yeseo is going to remain the underrated Indie Queen of KPOP. Heathens! (*Plays Honey, Don't Kill My Vibe on repeat).
    [​IMG]

Honestly though, the album is fucking incredible from beginning to end. The album is dark, dirty, unabashedly sexual, clever and crass. PERFECTION.

Rem, evilsin, Cotton Park and 8 others like this.
  12. He

He

Three Venezuelans in this sub forum. Oh wow.

Rem, BEST FICTION, Mikl C and 12 others like this.
  13. Well......thank god I didn't give this my 11 I guess.

14. [​IMG]
    Figures some of you tasteless hoes wouldn't be able to appreciate the genius of HDKMV. Also I like Punk Right Now quite a bit better than Sober but the latter still could have stayed in longer than some of the other, blander songs still in.

Rem, evilsin, ryjm and 5 others like this.
  15. I take this back now. Shoot the YESEO and Hyo hater.

Rem, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  16. Just when I thought I was starting to fit in on this sub forum.

[​IMG]

Rem, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 11 others like this.
  17. Why am I losing all my 9s when I still have a bunch of 7s and 6s left?

Slice of Life likes this.
  18. Has anyone been keeping track of how accurate this turned out to be? As you can see, I didn't submit Yeseo sadly, but she was a consideration for me since I love Damn Rules. It might be easier for someone to make new guesses though since most of the supersarang songs are gone.

Not mine, though.

[​IMG]

Sanctuary, Rem, soratami and 9 others like this.
  19. Slice said 12 of them are correct, if I remember correctly which is a flop for me in comparison to my attempt in 2017.

I will work hard to show a better @NancyDrewknae next year.

Rem, ThighHighs, Kuhleezi and 12 others like this.
  20. Rem, Kuhleezi, eliminathan and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.