#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 86 | The Popjustice Forum

#KSOTY2018: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2018 Rate | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Noted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @Coming Century, @Dangerous Maknae, @RUNAWAY, @Kuhleezi, @ohnostalgia, @Island (9.75) @thommyh (9.5) @vague, @eccentricsimply, @Oleander, @Remorque (9) @He, @Rem, @PopZeitgeist, @askew, @ThighHighs, @Vixen, @Gintoki
    CHEAP UNNIES: (4) @Sanctuary, @Conan (5) @Mikl C (5.5) @Salami, @yuuurei (6) @Vesperly
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 8.25

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 67 (average: 6.65000)
    10 voters: 60 (average: 7.07500)
    15 voters: 71 (average: 7.21667)
    20 voters: 72 (average: 7.43750)
    25 voters: 59 (average: 7.63000)
    30 voters: 56 (average: 7.69167)
    35 voters: 52 (average: 7.85714)
    40 voters: 48 (average: 7.96875)
    45 voters: 43 (average: 8.00000)
    48 voters: 42 (average: 8.03125)

And just like that, we say goodbye to the whole Girls' Generation crew. This is Taeyeon's stunning solo single, Something New.

And lemme just say this: oh my God, I have definitely, definitely underscored this. Slice of Flop strikes again. Released on June 2018, Something New is quite possibly Taeyeon's biggest artistic risk yet. It really is something new for the good unnie.

Taeyeon, being the main vocalist of Korea's (former) national girl group Girls' Generation, was kind of typecast as a balladeer for most of her solo career. Most of her biggest hits are ballads and I firmly believe that these songs limit Taeyeon's capabilities as a vocalist and as an artist/storyteller. I'm a big fan of her ballads but I'm not gonna lie, sometimes an unnie needs her bops every now and then. And we know Taeyeon is fully capable of serving bops. I mean, Why is legit her best song. Don't @ me.

And while Something New isn't exactly a bop, it does showcase a new side to Miss Kim Taeyeon as a vocalist. Taeyeon's vocals perfectly feels at home on Something New's jazzy atmosphere. Taeyeon sounds confident, and yes, sexy. That's not something I can always say about Taeyeon's solo endeavours.

I've only really recently become obsessed with Something New which is a mess since it was released ages ago ddddd. But better late than never, amirite? It's just sad that this didn't become a hit for Taeyeon - it only reached number 15 on Gaon. But sometimes, you gotta do things for the arts more than the charts. Korea doesn't deserve a single as brave and exciting as Something New.

Empty Shoebox thinks just lacks a little something: "This is quite nice and well suited to her voice (I think, I'm probably wrong) but it's a little too repetitive and lacks the killer hook." GeiPanda is forgetful: "Love the chorus and MV, but the rest of the song isn't super memorable for me." And Reboot is meh about this affair: "Beige but serviceable. I feel like I should love her music more than I do."

Miyawakiwi presents a good take on the music video's premise: "the song’s ok (¿), while seeing the video i could only think about Taeyeon kicking the ass of whoever was responsible for ruining All Night’s promotions." thommyh is living for Action Star Taeyeon Kim: "YAAAAAASSS! I don't know why, but the music video always serves me like... Tekken Character cutscene realness... whew this action queen. Where's ha bid to be in the charlies angels reboot?" ryjm also highlights the flawless music video: "Serving me some Imogen Heap realness, an interesting and refreshing new direction for the GG alum. The vocals are predictably on point but it’s really the video that steals the show – the visuals are almost distractingly incongruent with the effortlessly smooth and chill soundscape yet that dichotomy bizarrely works to highlight just how enjoyable the song is. I am all here for Taeyeon living out her Kill Bill fantasy and serving a big helping of justice to all those who have tried to tear her down over the years. Get your revenge sis, finish ha!" Brown Eyed Girls did Kill Bill first xoxo.

I didn't think Imogen Heap sunbaenim was so famous on these parts??? evilsin notes: "The Imogen Heap intro is still sending me so." RUNAWAY too: "Taeyeon slayed this year. That intro! Imogen Heap is shaking. That VIDEO! She ALSO DID THAT! I’ve played this song so much, but yet it still gets better every time." Kuhleezi even namechecks... Pentatonix???: "That intro. Imogen Heap nugu. Pentatonics pentashook. The fact it wasn't really needed in the grand scheme of the song but she decided that does she have the range? Absolutely! And so she put it."

The unnies are also here for Taeyeon's risk-taking activities. ThighHighs: "A jazzy bop! I was really surprised to hear her going in this direction and hope she explores more interesting sounds more often. She can obviously belt as well as the best of em, but she’s also got an actually interesting tone so it’s nice to hear her applying it in a different way." He: "Maybe my favorite Taeyeon single? This was really a nice change of pace. Just a great, vibey, and plan cool track. Wish her discography wasn’t so inconsistent / boring." And eccentricsimply as well: "SOMETHING NEW INDEED. People have been dragging the good sis for years for her preference for some ballads and sometimes faceless songs - which by the way I love them all nñn - so it's really great that she came back with something that was genuinely very different for her but still very Taeyeon. I just wish she had promoted it."

Speaking of non-promotions, Serg. is livid: "What did Taeyeon do to be punished with literally ZERO promo for this single. I swear people keep forgetting this was even released but how do you remember it? It's not even promoted on youtube." So maybe this was the reason why Something New kinda flopped??? The disrespect. And Vixen stans Taeyeon, the underrated kween... wait what???: "It’s funky, sultry, jazzy, and super effortless from her. I still don’t like how the song doesn’t seem to explode at the end, but I think it was made on purpose to keep it understated…which is fair. Everything from the hook to Taeyeon’s vocals are very ‘lowkey’, subtle, etc. Anyway, a brilliant effort from a very underrated soloist if you want my opinion xoxo."

We end this post with vague who really didn't expect to be de-wigged this hard: "i don't think anyone expected something this interesting from the queen of beige 2bh, but she truly fkn delivered with this whole mini." Same.

2. Noooooo....

Should have been a bland TWICE song instead.

ohnostalgia, evilsin, ryjm and 5 others like this.
  3. Leave TWICE alone their songs should all be top 10. Lol it’s 5:29am i gotta wake up at 7 helpppppppppppp

Oleander, ThighHighs, Rem and 12 others like this.
  4. When you had literally zero hours of sleep the previous night and losing a LOONA album track in the rate is what sent you over the edge...

5. Okay, all right, I won't burn this place down with all of you in it ... for now.

ryjm, nikkysan, vague and 1 other person like this.
  6. Only 12 hours have been passed since this post and now I'm the one who's fuming. Karma really is a binch, huh?

Oleander, ohnostalgia, Rem and 12 others like this.
  7. He

He

evilsin, ryjm, Slice of Life and 5 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

But wow, what a moment -- ... they will never forget. A moment... that is most pleasing to them and their Japanese career.

Oleander, vague, ThighHighs and 7 others like this.
  9. Not her saying "Drop that beat" followed by that music-less intro, dddd.

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GENEROUS UNNIES: (10) @Reboot, @Sanctuary, @ryjm, @evilsin, @PopZeitgeist, @Oleander, @thommyh, @GeiPanda, @Remorque, @Vixen (9.75) @Slice of Life (9.5) @yuuurei, @Conan, @Love Deluxe (9) @Dangerous Maknae, @Ana Raquel, @He, @Rem, @ohnostalgia, @Island, @soratami
    CHEAP UNNIES: (2.5) @Serg. (3.75) @eliminathan (5) @junglefish (6) @Salami, @nikkysan, @Empty Shoebox, @BEST FICTION
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 9.75

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 12 (average: 8.25000)
    10 voters: 8 (average: 8.42500)
    15 voters: 26 (average: 8.05000)
    20 voters: 40 (average: 7.87500)
    25 voters: 39 (average: 7.97000)
    30 voters: 42 (average: 7.97500)
    35 voters: 40 (average: 7.96429)
    40 voters: 34 (average: 8.09375)
    45 voters: 36 (average: 8.05556)
    48 voters: 41 (average: 8.04167)

Okay, y'all. Shaman Unnie has heard your ardent prayers and now we eliminate the stunning (yas whore, @ me) favOriTe.

favOriTe is the... wait, I'm actually not sure. It's LOOΠΔ's first single (but not debut single!!!1!1) as a complete unit. It's also possibly LOOΠΔ's final song for their two-year pre-debut shenanigans project. Anyway, those things don't matter. What's matters is that favOriTe is an iconique anthem that is unfairly looked down... even by the strongest LOOΠΔ stans.

I truly don't get half of the accusations thrown at favOriTe. Sure, it's not as melodic as LOOΠΔ's other singles pre- and post-debut. It's rough. It's haphazard. It's messy. But it's also very LOOΠΔ. favOriTe definitely sounded like the arrival of a group that's about to take over the world... which unfortunately does not include Korea. Yet. xoxo

And the way these girls just kill the song vocally and on stage is just... it gives me goosebumps. The girls all sound confident, dangerous, and ready. favOriTe demands attention. Its frantic nature could be seen as messy by some but to me, it just sounds like a well-oiled machine that's ready to perform and deliver. And the girls truly fucking performed and delivered.

Farewell, favOriTe, you misunderstood masterpiece. One day, these heathens will look back and realize their mistakes.

Let's start with eliminathan's hating ass: "I understand why people like her but she was a big letdown for me when I was expecting so much more. Hi High lightened the blow but I still can't find myself enjoying favOriTe whenever I hear it. Also realistically there are worse songs but I wasn't as disappointed in any other song in 2018 as I was with favOriTe." Okay fair. Miyawakiwi is... whelmed: "Pretty good but nothing spectacular, i feel like loona’s songs are overall good but they lack impact, the closest thing this has to some form of highlight is Heejin’s part in the middle of the song." While nikkysan has this to say: "This is still one of my least favourite singles they’ve done."

At least Salami was somehow kind to this???: "This really needed a better chorus because it’s so strong other than that. Shame." Eaux. Cotton Park is thankful for Hi High and Hi High only: "After the iridenscent glow of finally getting to watch them all together dissipated, this one kind of falls apart. Still, I love how Heejin crushed it. "Hi High" is the real masterpiece. Took it right back, peoples. Stan Loona." At least eccentricsimply is here for the music video???: "I... actually don't care much for this song? nñn The only part I genuinely love is the start with Heejin. Everything else is just okay. Though I like that the video is mostly a performance one."

codecat also appreciates the straightforward music video... and nothing else dddd: "Hmmm. I still love the choreo, I love how it's straight-forward and free of convoluted theories but...it's impressive how this has manages to sound less appealing as time passes." He takes a jab at BBC Gay Intern's description of the song: "Signature sound? What the hell does that mean. bbc This performance piece is an amazing showcase of LOONA though." Empty Shoebox is not here for favOriTe... and for Hi High too: "It's competent, and perhaps even enjoyable, but I'll repeat what I said about Hello Hi. I was expecting more. Don't know what I want exactly but I very rarely come back to this. Which is a shame."

I'll give Miss Serg. his own paragraph because this drag of favOriTe is one for the books ddddd: "I'll never understand how people like this? It's just all over the place in all the wrong places, kinda like when you play minesweeper and you hit the bomb in your first click. Even the choreo is a mess and there's 12 of them. At least they were smart enough to brand this only as a pre-debut single so in couple of years everyone can forget it even happened." HSDGHSDHG DELETE YOURSELF BINCH.

"Kind of messy, but still a ton of fun," ThighHighs again talks about me. "The build up to the big climax is a true moment." Reboot just exclaims: "Amazing." And thommyh gasps: "whew... the talentry of them." And Miss evilsin has the audacity to mention Jessie J on this thread: "Not Jessie J scheming her way into a KPop rate with that synth sample, which I still love so freaking much. Honestly this song is a lot of things, and I love all of them. The aforementioned sample, the opening, the vocals, the brrrrrrrah, the middle 8, HeeJin killing me with her beauty over and over again... I guess I made myself love this song instead of just liking it, not that I'm complaining." @Popjustice, ban this Russian bot pls.

yuuurei favours favOriTe over Hi High which... unnie, I pray for your safety from these rabid Orbits: "I can't really tell but I feel like I'm slightly in the minority for liking this better than 'Hi High'. I think I just prefer this kind of "cool" sound a little more than the "cutesy" type. Comparison aside, this song is a bit of a hot mess but in a great way. I really love how in-your-face it is and everyone sounds really good." And GeiPanda recycles and re-stans: "They. fucking. served. (I'll re-use and edit some of the commentary from the LOONA pre-debut rate.) It's a Frankenstein's monster of a song, and that's what makes it so special. It isn't afraid to completely disrupt its soundscape and aggravate the listener. Not only is the "Brrrrrrrah!" part so kitsch in its execution; just the mere thought of the producer telling/teaching Heejin how to do it in the recording studio is iconic. Within the unusual structure though; there's a really simple frenetic energy that builds up and explodes at each chorus. It kind of reminds me of 90's/2000's Britney songs like Stronger or Crazy. This song also made me stan Jinsoul. In the OEC era, I was quite indifferent towards her. Her icy concept didn't feel genuine - I felt like she was styled more edgy than she actually was as a person. But she gets so many KEY parts in this song, and I get why. At first, I was baffled why they randomly chose Jinsoul to do the belting part. But it all makes complete sense. Her voice has a perfect gritty rawness to it, that the lead singers in the group don't possess. She also brims with such amazing stage presence - girl knows how to smile with her eyes, for sure. A real quadruple threat." YATH AT THE JINSOUL PRAISE. KWEEN OF POP.

Y'all know ryjm will be bringing the essay for favOriTe, right? Well, you're in for a treat, girls. Take it away, unnie: "If there is one thing we have learned watching LOOΠA's debut journey it's that BBC know exactly what they are doing with these queens. favOriTe is an absolute bop and is the perfect companion piece to Hi High, showing the versatility of the girls and giving the western Orbitches something to satiate their girl crush needs. favOriTe is the PERFECT hype song and was a fantastic way to introduce the full line up to the world. While the line distribution is somewhat shaky, every member shines here (even if it is for literally 1 second ddd). The rapid-fire switching between the girls is so seamless and it feels incredibly epic to hear combinations of vocals and members that we had never heard before. The production is quite bizarre, the brassy sound is something new for the girls and the complete switch up of the second verse is classic LOOΠA. The song just continues to build and build and just when you think it can't get any more frenetic they throw in a damn dance break and everything just goes off. Seriously, Yves can step on me, what an absolute queen. While the video is simple in comparison to the solo and unit MVs, the sheer mount of power that exudes from these girls proves that they don’t need ludicrously lavish visuals and big budgets to deliver stunning content. The visual overload of seeing so many beautiful people absolutely killing it with some ferocious choreography is jaw dropping, their star powah! They DID THAT!" YATHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    thommyh, Sanctuary, Deja-Boo and 24 others like this.
  11. TOP 40 LEGENDS!

DECEMBER 2017
    Heart Attack - LOOΠΔ / Chuu

JANUARY 2018
    BBoom BBoom - Momoland
    Heroine - Sunmi
    Bad Boy - Red Velvet
    Roller Coaster - Chungha

FEBRUARY 2018
    One Shot, Two Shot - BoA
    Black Dress - CLC

MARCH 2018
    Egoist (feat. JinSoul) - LOOΠΔ / Olivia Hye

APRIL 2018
    Dally - Hyolyn
    What Is Love? - Twice

MAY 2018
    Good Evening - SHINee
    LATATA - (G)I-DLE

JUNE 2018
    DDU-DU DDU-DU - BLACKPINK
    Forever Young - BLACKPINK

JULY 2018
    I'm So Sick - Apink
    See Sea - Hyolyn
    Blue Moon - Gyeong Ree / Kyungri

AUGUST 2018
    Hi High - LOOΠΔ
    HANN (Alone) - (G)I-DLE
    Yeolgi - LOOΠΔ

SEPTEMBER 2018
    Siren - Sunmi
    Save Me, Save You - WJSN
    Memoria - GFriend
    Remember Me - Oh My Girl

OCTOBER 2018
    Oh! My Mistake - April
    Love Bomb - fromis_9
    La Vie en Rose - IZ*ONE

NOVEMBER 2018
    I Love You - EXID
    Thank U Soooo Much - Yubin
    Not That Type - gugudan
    Yes or Yes - Twice

DECEMBER 2018
    Caffeine - Eyedi

SPECIAL SONGS / REPEATERS
    (songs that didn't hit top 5 but charted for two months)
    Now or Never - SF9
    U&I - BoA

SUPERSARANG SONGS
    Black Pearl - Sunmi
    Metronome - Weki Meki
    Puzzle Moon - GWSN
    Shinin' - Jonghyun
    Spotlight - Pristin V
    What - Dreamcatcher

thommyh, Sanctuary, Deja-Boo and 25 others like this.
  12. All the Supersarang & Special songs are already overstaying so I'll be happy to not see them in the top 30.

And I can't believe Caffeine ,that I can't remember even a second of it, is still here.

Vixen, ThighHighs, Salami and 2 others like this.
  13. It's just all over the place in all the wrong places, kinda like when you play minesweeper and you hit the bomb in your first click“

This is a keeper.

14. [​IMG]

Oleander, nikkysan, vague and 3 others like this.

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GENEROUS UNNIES: (11) @junglefish (10) @nikkysan, @vague, @Serg., @Slice of Life, @Love Deluxe, @BEST FICTION, @Oleander, @ThighHighs, @eliminathan, @savilizabeths, @soratami (9.75) @yuuurei (9.5) @RUNAWAY, @Kuhleezi, @Vesperly, @ohnostalgia (9) @Mikl C, @Cotton Park, @He, @Empty Shoebox, @sweetlikegrande, @GeiPanda, @Vixen
    CHEAP UNNIES: (2) @ryjm (3) @Sanctuary (4) @eccentricsimply (5) @Coming Century, @Dangerous Maknae, @Conan (5.75) @PopZeitgeist (6) @Ana Raquel, @Remorque
    SHAMAN UNNIE: 10

LEADERBOARD JOURNEY:

5 voters: 88 (average: 6.05000)
    10 voters: 98 (average: 6.12500)
    15 voters: 75 (average: 7.13333)
    20 voters: 61 (average: 7.55000)
    25 voters: 54 (average: 7.72000)
    30 voters: 54 (average: 7.75833)
    35 voters: 47 (average: 7.89286)
    40 voters: 46 (average: 7.98125)
    45 voters: 38 (average: 8.03889)
    48 voters: 40 (average: 8.04688)

THIS IS A GOD'S TEST.

NO.

NO.

NO.

When the first few votes came in and I entered them into the spreadsheet, I was genuinely upset by the scores given to Memoria. No, I don't hate y'all (anymore) for not giving Memoria the high score I thought it deserved. I was just really upset because I have grown so attached to Memoria that I just couldn't fathom how anyone cannot love it ddddd. It's weird, I know, and I have made my peace now with the results but whew, those were some dark days, girls.

But faced with this elimination now, the pain just came crashing back in. Why did y'all let Memoria flop this bad??? I thought we loved it more than life itself??? I feel like my whole life is a lie dddddd.

Okay enough dramatics, I have to travel soon dddddd. Memoria is GFriend's first original Japanese single. Produced by Carlos K., Memoria proved to be a winning debut in Japan for GFriend as it reached number 6 in the Oricon Charts. We love when talent is recognized and validated!

When I first heard Memoria (through a radio rip uploaded to Soundcloud ddddd what's good @Serg. unnie), I was pretty much silenced. It was the first song in forever that genuinely stopped me in my tracks and forced me really listen. And I listened... and listened... and listened... all night long. I replayed that song for possibly a hundred times on that night alone. I was obsessed.

While I consider myself a GFriend fan, none of their singles truly won me over on first listen. All of their other singles had to grow on me. But Memoria was different. I was stanning from the first listen until now... and possibly forever. The song has a classic quality to it that I don't really hear from K-Pop songs these days. Wow, how Comeback Coroner of me ddddd. But really, the classic quality of the song will really help Memoria age like fine wine.

K-Popjustice has been so unkind towards GFriend for a long time now so I guess I should've seen from a mile away that y'all are gonna do Memoria wrong. I'm sorry this isn't a Fingertip type of song. I know y'all stan that version of GFriend (I do too tbh). But Memoria is just... much more than Fingertip. Much more than a lot of the songs we have left in this rate. And I'm heartbroken that y'all can't - no, refuse to - see that.

I rest my case.

Memoria is not dramatic enough for ryjm which is... baffling: "So I’ve learned that perhaps Gfriend are not quite for me. I like my songs to be audacious, luxurious, manic, dramatic and complex (I like the weird, the whacky, and quite simply…the bangers). Again, this is a genuinely nice song, but in comparison to everything else in the rate, this simply does not compare." eccentricsimply agrees with him and hurts me in the process: "I really don't care for this one. I don't think the chorus is strong enough to compensate the boring verses and it lacks a bit of the drama that GFriend sometimes bring to songs like this that makes them that Extra Bit more interesting." And Sanctuary faults GFriend for not changing it up: "I get not everything will be for everyone and lots of genres / styles will appear to certain people over others, but this just feels unremarkable. I like something like Me Gustas Tu, but for complaints about TWICE not leaving their wheelhouse, GFRIEND feel like they've just not progressed and rely on repeated musical / stylistic tropes. It's worst offense is just being boring." I give up.

"I might have given this a ten," Empty Shoebox teases. "If it wasn't for the english sections. They sound horrid." Memoria needed your 10, unnie! Spotify should be blamed, Reboot reasons out: "If a song isn’t on Spotify it doesn’t exist for me so I haven’t been listening to this one at all, but it’s very pretty." Wills agrees but he's much more complimentary towards the song: "This was hurt by its long absence from streaming services - not that I’d dock points specifically for that reason, but without the unrestricted access I had to everything else, I didn’t grow as attached to this track as I might’ve. That said, I didn’t over look this entirely and did become quite fond of it - “We’re gonna fly in the blue sky” is a particularly stunning bit."

Miyawakiwi is living for GFriend's J-Pop sensibilities: "Ever since they debuted i’ve felt like they have some kind of jpop vibe going on… But i love that so…" yuuurei too: "It's so pretty and uplifting! Very Jpop-standard but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I really like this." He recognizes GFriend's slayage of Japan: "They really did that for Japan huh? This has all the ingredients that make Gfriend stand out, especially that wistful feeling. Pre-chorus and chorus are just precious." Even Salami is stanning for Shaman Unnie's sake: "This is the best song they’ve put out in a long time."

GeiPanda is left with few but true words: "So poignant yet enthralling." Cotton Park, who didn't give this a 10, calls Memoria: "The Yojashingu grand opus." And Serg.... well, he's serving Gaga: "Phenomenal, Gorgeous, Influential, Stunning, Opened the doors, Amazing, Never been done before, Atrocious outfits, Vocal powerhouses, Incredible, Spectacular..." I saw that drag, binch.

Since @junglefish didn't leave a comment for ha 11, I will give the stage to his biggest Buddy, ThighHighs: "One of the best songs they’ve put out in their entire career. From verses, to chorus, to prechorus, to middle eight, they nailed it. Plus, PLAID! TARTAN! Whatever the feck you wanna call it, the girls were GIVING IT TO YOU. I prefer the Japanese version to the more recently released Korean version, but both sound like classics to this buddie’s ears."

thommyh, Deja-Boo, Oleander and 22 others like this.
  16. ....................

[​IMG]

thommyh, Oleander, nikkysan and 15 others like this.
  17. I should have tanked Yeolgi.

18. You tanked every other song in the rate sis why did you specifically miss Yeolgi.

evilsin, Oleander, nikkysan and 13 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.