#KS࿊TY2021: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2021 Rate | Page 78 | The Popjustice Forum

#KS࿊TY2021: The K-Pop Song of the Year 2021 Rate

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 20, 2021.

1. I'm fine with reveluvs having today to celebrate but the next two days will hopefully have two back to back Red Velvet elims. Those "songs" overstayed their welcome by about 40 places!

[​IMG]

Trinu 3.0, vague, thommyh and 8 others like this.
  2. well i'm glad it made it as far as it did, i was kinda scared it would leave at the 80s cuz nobody seemed to acknowledge the song's existence. And not it going from 7 to 60! Serving front-loaded cute little hit in the Hot 100.
    [​IMG]

3. I know I'm late but jkafgjklad not Alcohol-Free getting eliminated while I was getting chocked at the beach.

Life is smiling at me and I'm smiling back!

[​IMG]

4. Oh finally a song from my kill list! I really don’t think I’m ever going to enjoy a song by them that isn’t Latata or HANN at this point.

5. I quite like Hwaa, even though it is a recycled Hann, but without that awful Chorus whistle. It definitely feels much older than just a year old though.I was shocked when I saw it on the list because I genuinely thought it was from late 2019/early 2020.

6. Soojin didn't tragically die for this!!!!!!

vague, bbynewyear, bimbo and 2 others like this.
  7. no actually it was the girdle fräulein
    [​IMG]

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I’m back to loving GIRDLE and Hwaa is what led me there. It did take almost an entire year after its initial release, but better late than never.

vague, bbynewyear, R92 and 6 others like this.
  9. I'm still not over the Doughnut elimination, a mess.

[​IMG]

10. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

So shall we eliminate one of @Salami's three remaining 10s?

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

FIRST CLASS: (11) @thommyh (10) @Crisp X, @eatyourself, @ultraviolet, @Shockbox, @Attis, @ysev, @junglefish, @leedlelee..., @aux, @bbynewyear, @Oleander, @askew (9.75) @PopZeitgeist, @ohdenny (9.5) @eccentricsimply, @KimLippington, @Slice of Life (9) @drod93, @tj-x, @Trinu 3.0, @codecat, @Ana Raquel, @soratami, @Glitterizer, @enjoy, @Monkey0, @Wills, @ohnostalgia, @Music Is Death
    ECONOMY CLASS: (0) @Salami (3) @boombazookajoe (4) @Sprockrooster (4.5) @Vixen, @Overdose (5) @eliminathan, @roblognick, @Lately
    SHAMAN CLASS: 9.5

LEADERBOARD TRACKER:

10 voters: 55
    20 voters: 36
    30 voters: 50
    40 voters: 51
    50 voters: 59
    60 voters: 59
    65 voters: 60

And we finally lose our final song that received a score of 0! @Salami, trust you will be dealt with! This is Billlie's debut single, Ring X Ring. It was the lead single of Billlie's first mini album, the Billage of perception: chapter one. It was written by Kim Eana and members Moon Sua and Siyoon and composed by Lee Minsoo. Ring X Ring did not enter the Gaon Digital Chart, but it appeared at number 167 on the component Download Chart.

Lemme first say that once again, I am shqqk that such a well-beloved forum fave is eliminated this early. This rate's results continue to mystify even moi! Of course, Ring X Ring is a song that I expected to be very divisive. Even when it was just released, I expected a lot of divided opinions on it. Nugu stans on Twitter definitely debated whether Ring X Ring was great or not. But here on our little subforum, there was nothing but love for Ring X Ring. I thought it was another proof of our great collective taste. But it turns out, the silent majority actually didn't really like Ring X Ring at all. You guys scare me sometimes!

Ring X Ring was a song that had to grow on me as well. I was definitely one of those annoying pre-debut stans that really anticipated Billlie's debut. And when it was announced that the legendary duo of lyricist Kim Eana and composer Lee Minsoo were involved in Billlie's debut, I was practically ready to give these girls my first born. For the uninitiated, Kim Eana and Lee Minsoo are the people behind the greatest song of all time, Brown Eyed Girls' Sixth Sense, and other legendary tracks from Brown Eyed Girls and IU. I did a little digging and they actually haven't been active in the industry these days. Even IU ditched them for a couple of albums now. So to see them reunite again for Billlie's debut just shqqk me to my core. And the song dropped... and it wasn't what I imagined it to be. Oh, at all! Ring X Ring did not sound polished. It actually sounded like a demo or something. I thought to myself, maybe Kim Eana and Lee Minsoo should've stayed retired for good instead of making this?

But good god did Ring X Ring grow on me like a rash. I love that every time I listen to it, I feel like I'm listening to it for the very first time. There's nothing quite like it, and it most definitely didn't sound like any song released in 2021. And then the chorus just stayed on my brain for weeks until it melted and turned into goo. It's just... such an attack to the senses and it forces you to take notice. It's absolutely the most original debut in a long, long time. It honestly felt like listening to the future. Maybe the 4th Generation of K-Pop stars will be alright after all. And I'm so, so glad that Billlie are not flopping because it would kill me to see such a brave group to not get their flowers. By not flopping, it ensures that Billlie will continue releasing the most insane shit and I will be stanning.

Billlie followed up Ring X Ring with a Christmas single called snowy night. And I know you're already dismissing it in your head but please listen to me: snowy night is the best Christmas song in a long, long time. Maybe they ended Mariah sunbaenim? But yes, Ring X Ring is good but it's snowy night that truly made me stan these crazy girls. And in February 2022, they released their next single, GingaMingaYo, and as expected, it's another divisive bop! But we'll be rating it next year anyway so let's not talk about it too much. So yeah, Billlie are on the right path. Give them a few more singles and album under their belt and mark my words, we will be talking about them for years to come.

Let's just get Salami's rotten commentary out of the way, shall we?: "I’ve watched this and listened to it several times to try and make sense of it as I remember a lot of people liking it. I don’t at all. It’s all over the place. I like songs with out of place bits in general, but this just doesn’t seem to have a melody? Just noise!" For an f(x) stan, you sure have a low tolerance for adventurous songs, my friend! Joining him in the haterz zone is Vixen, because of course: "I still don't know if you guys stan this unironically or not ddddd. To me this is terrible… The mixing, the lack of any proper driving melody, the noisy and trying-hard-to-be-quirky production… Ooof…." Listening to PTT (Paint The Town) on repeat truly damaged you huh.

boombazookajoe returns to tank another non-big 4 girl group song: "This sounds really cheaply produced." But enough about libidO! RUNAWAY lamely calls Billlie: "bile girls! this song was fine I guess." Pretty Places takes issue with the instrumental: "The idea was a potential 10/10 but the instrumental is just so ugly it spoils it. Bizarre." savilizabeths says no to adventure for now: "Every group has lore now, don’t they? I do find what I’ve heard of Billie’s really interesting. Sadly though, the song just isn’t for me. It’s ambitious, and I admire that. The good moments are pretty strong. I think the chorus works really really well but then we go back into the verses and I just feel like I’m being beaten over the head with something. The chorus earns this extra points, plus the part right before the second chorus!"

clowezra, who gave this a score of 7.5, is conflicted: "I can’t for the life of me figure out how I actually feel about this one nn. It’s getting better with every listen though! Excited to hear more from them." Try a little more, bestie! I'm not sure if Inland Empire likes the song because of this comment but she gave it an 8 so let's add her comment here: "This song would not only kill a Victorian child on the spot but would probably kill a normal child on the spot too. Learning to like it has been an agonising, soul-crushing journey." eatyourself enumerates Björk sunbaenim's genres of music: "Electronic, synthpop, ambient, experimental, art pop, alternative, atmospheric, witch house." YATH!

aux rightfully calls this: "One of the most exciting songs in K-Pop I heard last year. I adore everything about it." Wills agrees and adds: "A debut that sounds like absolutely nothing else out there? These don't come around often enough!" And bbynewyear gives Ring X Ring extra points for its sheer audacity: "In a rate, I always give a lot of credit to a song if it was the group's debut, for a girl group to come out SWINGING like this, with a truly individual sound for themselves amongst all the noise is something you need to celebrate! They're so weird and crazy omg. I will say the loooong aimless dance break probably should have cost this a few points but everything else is so bold and considered. The vocals are really refreshing too, especially during the chorus, there's a timbre in the voices that reminds me of the best kind of anime openings."

I'm so sorry to tell you this but your 11 has officially been evicted from the rate, my sweet thommyh. Please give it the farewell it deserves!: "Godddd. No competition for what my 11 this year would be. I've never been so exhilarated and thrilled and just ravaged by a song like this before - the entire album, the group, in fact. Everything about them is so inventive and razor-sharp and self-assured and just... like how did they do it? They carved out such a distinct sound and afaik it's like.. completely original?? I honestly don't think I've stanned a group this hard before ffffff, like, even just having an urban legend lore as their concept like... pleek that is so iconique and it's genetically engineered to appeal to my brain. It's SICK! I'm just beyond excited and looking so forward to whatever they release in the future. Also, Haram is maybe lowkey top visual of all time? And the way they're label mates with LUCY.... ohhh their company kinda giving me best male idols and best female idols of all time." PERIOD!!!!! Mystic Story, best agency of all time!!!!!

11. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Tsuki did NOT almost break her back doing that stunt for this song to come out before the top 30......... Heathens!

[​IMG]

clowezra, He, ultraviolet and 23 others like this.
  12. LMFAO never mind, this rate is fucked beyond repair

[​IMG]

ultraviolet, vague, ohdenny and 20 others like this.
  13. Excuse me, not to be disrespectful or rude but could you please take this post down. those are my moms who was killed by metra train. And this post is very disrespectful. idk who you are or if you even know them but I need you to take this down please

how the hell is this out it's literally better than 90% of the songs still in here on all fronts and i'm not being facetious!

14. WAIT. He didn't give Sunmi a zero? Salami is my best friend. Until I see the 0.5.

[​IMG]

ultraviolet, vague, ohdenny and 21 others like this.
  15. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Considering giving him a month long ban but knowing I need him to vote for Maniac in the monthly charts...

[​IMG]

16. Oh... where is the encouragement towards inventiveness and creativity that this phorrem usually cultures? No wonder IU's chart fodder is still in! Suddenly the Knetizens are us.

RING X RING occupies a similar space in my mind to STAYC's So Bad, both are debut songs full of energy, traction and adrenaline that leave no one a second to breathe. RING X RING goes even further by throwing the listener into different directions as the song progresses and evolves. My favorite bit is probably when the second verse kicks in right after the chorus made it all sound sweeter and throws you back onto the treadmill of death. It's not representative of who I am to pit artists against each other but I'm sure Lee Soo Man has lost several nights of sleep after he left this to Billlie instead of aespa. And we can already see the impact these girls have - JYP for sure had a huge Billlie poster in NMIXX's debut moodboard. I expect to see GingaMingaYo at the very least in the top 30 next year, thank you!
    I actually copy+pasted iamamiwhoami seonbaenim's last.fm tags. Come like my posts in the rate thread, link is in my signature! #ad

[​IMG]

17. I'm starting to think some people didn't actually bother listening to the songs and just assigned scores through a random number generator.

ultraviolet, vague, ohdenny and 10 others like this.
  18. @Salami thank you for taking the heat off of me with your 0.
    [​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I knew a lot of you were attached to this song going into my scoring, so I genuinely tried with it. Admittedly, I hadn't watched the video before, and doing so now, a handful of points were made, but I still stand by my statement about the production, and I just don't think all the pieces of the song service each other very well? I don't know. If I were to score it today I'd maybe give it a 6, which I doubt would have affected their placement much if at all. I like GingaMingaYo, though!

19. Ring X Ring receiving a ZERO.

Vote to kick!

He, ultraviolet, ohdenny and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.