Kylie, in general. | Page 1910 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie, in general.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Weezerfan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. The source is everywhere. It’s widely reported and acknowledged that if Kylie wanted Better Than Today, it had to be a single.
    Granted it should have just been a single (in studio form) from the Live In NYC shows (as White Diamond - Uptempo studio version for the Homecoming shows) but it has classic Kylie lyrics (What’s The Point I’m living if you don’t wanna dance?!)

distant_cousin and Chris_P like this.
  2. Don't really understand how that relates to what I was saying though?

I do like that lyric, actually all of the verses are nice. It's the chorus where it lacks a bit. It's very Scissor Sisters to me (I have pretty limited knowledge of them so if it's not... don't come for me!) - I think it could have worked as a single a few years earlier but was out of step by 2010.

3. Kylie spoke about Better Than Today somewhere. She said that she had to beg and plead to get the song and Nerina didn't want to give it up. I don't think she said it outright in that interview, but she strongly implied she only got it because they said they'd release it as a single. There were other pretty reliable sources at the time that said it was part of the agreement.

P'NutButter and Butterfly like this.
  4. Mess. Cause trash.

SlowGinFizzzz and Butterfly like this.
  5. The issue with Aphrodite is that because it was so well produced by one person (Stuart) a lot of it sounds samey. Yes, it's cohesive but with Kylie, when she releases singles, I think people prefer them to be quite different from one another.

I guess that's why a lot of people were championing Lost Without You as a single over some of the other tracks from Golden, because a lot of that felt samey too. Even the intros to the songs are very similar, with the twangy guitar openings.

I've never really thought of Everything Is Beautiful as a single... I guess, it would have been different in sound and tempo to the other tracks. It could have worked well. I don't think it sounds much like All the Lovers?

burntoutcar and distant_cousin like this.
  6. Ahh, now I understand. Thanks.

Right... not worth it at all.

abael likes this.
  7. Single or not, why did she even want it in the first place? It's by far the worst track on Aphrodite. Sometimes I can't help but question Kylie's taste in her own music...

8. Oh no dear, the worst song by a country mile is Looking For An Angel!

9. That's certainly.... a choice.

lushLuck likes this.
  10. Wasn't Change your Mind supposed to be on Aphrodite or did I just make that up?
    It would have been a brilliant 3rd single to be fair.

HorseTears, YourOwnThing and lushLuck like this.
  11. As far as I know, it's an Aphrodite outtake.
    Love that we got two amazing songs from that instrumental.

Womanizer and Ddarko77 like this.
  12. Gosh, forgot about that song.

13. Change Your Mind totally pales in comparison to Happiness. I don't think Kylie sounds good on it either.

Everything Is Beautiful would've made a decent single, so would Aphrodite and Illusion. I really like Better Than Today though - worst song on an album with Cupid Boy and Can't Beat the Feeling? Please.

I wonder what the brief was for Aphrodite. I feel like Stuart was hired because he delivered such a focused, concise record for Madonna that totally played to her strengths, but I don't think his chemistry with Kylie was all that really. There's something quite bland about his production across the board.

Heartstrings not making the album/not even being finished is kinda criminal.

distant_cousin likes this.
  14. Don't be ridiculous.

15. Apparently Jake from Scissor Sisters was working with Stuart at the time and suggested Stuart and Kylie work together. By that time Kylie was already recording songs for the album so I don't think they intentionally reached out to Stuart because of his work with Madonna.

Staticboombox and Mikal like this.
  16. I think the original concept was organic, emoto-pop, after the electro stuff on X.

distant_cousin likes this.
  17. She even had sessions with Frankmusik, if I recall correctly!

18. Oh, I would have liked this.

19. Put Your Hands Up is one of my least favourite Kylie songs. The verses are fine but the production on the chorus is so noisy and the melody is so forgettable.

Everything is Beautiful and Too Much were right there waiting to be released.

Even a faster remixed Illusion could have worked.

Mikal likes this.
  20. I'm trying to imagine what a faster "Illusion" would sound like, and it's not very good. The album version is fantastic as is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.