Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition | Page 1024 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Bit of a random question; does anyone know why some of the extended mixes - the Syn Cole mix of Say Something & the Nick Reach Up mix of Magic - were only released through one digital retailer and not made available through streaming? Was there an exclusive deal for them? As an old school - in every sense of the word 'old' - mix fan I'm not happy unless I've got every last delicious drop of a remix.I didn't see any promo for the remixes so had I not gone looking my 'coin' would never have been spent.

2. I don't know specific in this case but I've been noticing for the last few years that there's a trend for many artists to have the radio edits on streaming and extended mixes only on digital retailers, maybe it's a label thing.

3. Really not too far away then. Not overly mad about features, but still exciting if true.

Elvenpath and MrWonderfulPop like this.
  4. I remember there being speculation that the excessive use of filters in the "Say Something" MV were to cover up the imperfect greenscreen due to being filmed in Kylie's home, but then we got the behind-the-scene footage that showed that the MV was filmed in a studio and the sets and the footage was actually quite good under the layers upon layers of filters. I haven't revisited either video since their initial release, tbh.

Mr.Arroz, JasonJay, Mikal and 6 others like this.
  5. For me, the logical next step after disco would be house/techno-infused pop with the epic House Gospel Choir on several tracks.

But I wouldn’t be against Kylie incorporating guitars and other instruments over dance beats.

YourLeadSinger, linum, blod and 3 others like this.
  6. I think I said (about 300 pages back haha) that the only thing that let Disco down was the production, I wanted more HD 'disco' in the production. This is the kind of production 'feel' I was meaning, just sounds more solid and 'real' and less 'pop'.

7. A lot of DISCO to me just feels like dance/pop - Magic and Unstoppable have a retro feel about them, I Love It has some disco elements.

Where Does the DJ Go - for me I wish the piano intro was longer and more dramatic - then the contrast of the verse.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. Considering her past association with Giorgio Moroder, it's a shame they didn't get him involved in Disco. That would have been pretty epic.

9. Her past associations with Giorgio Moroder and Nile Rodgers.

10. 100%

That would have been epic.

BenApple81 likes this.
  11. Agreed wholeheartedly, Kylie’s Disco just feels like her regular dance-pop work with some elements of the disco era to fit a theme.

Jessie Ware’s What’s Your Pleasure? was the first (and so far only) release by a pop artist doing “disco” that I felt successfully captured the era while also being modern.

12. If he’s got something like the stuff he did in the 70s then yes. His latest songs are not good.

blod and mcuk like this.
  13. Unstoppable oozes Sister Sledge. And Magic sounds like Silver Convention. I think the extensive disco influences are very obvious on the album, it's definitely not just "dance/pop".

carlbob, mcuk, RRS and 12 others like this.
  14. I can certainly hear the influences on Disco - however as many have said the songs potentially need more room to breathe and build hence an extended version of each track would be a treat (alongside new material of course).

mcuk, RRS, actorandlyricist and 2 others like this.
  15. I would LOVE the extended mixes that were common in disco, of about 10 minutes. In 2021 extended mixes are only about 4-5 minutes.

This fan extended remix of Dance Floor Darling really takes the song to another level, but at 6:25 it's still too short.

hollaa01 and WhereIsTheFeeling like this.
  16. Kylie has a duet with Years and Years on the repack album that could be the first single - some info about it from SayHey:

Proper duet, similar tempo to magic, no where near as good as Years and Years latest single Crave, it’s more of the same as what’s on Disco, nowhere near as cool as RG or Miss a Thing, that’s IF it’s the single, it’s a really good album track, perfectly acceptable for the R2 crowd too.

VivaForever and elektroxx like this.
  17. That doesn't fill me with any kind of hope. I hoped that she'd at least try and put more effort to develop the sound of the album not copy it. Although I guess we haven't heard it and a re issue might not be the place to experiment.

18. This doesn’t sound very promising!!

elektroxx likes this.
  19. Thanks for the info, wonder if true.

20. Another mid-tempo? I didn't agree with y'all at the time, mainly because I was campaigning for the release of "Miss A Thing," but she really does need a change of pace after releasing three mid-tempo tracks. We need a proper banger. If the description is correct, it's disappointing that Olly wasn't able to bring anything new to the table. Like I get that the track needs to make sense alongside the rest of Disco, but I was expecting more than "more of the same."

mcuk, YourOwnThing and SlowGinFizzzz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.