Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s sort of a gag how this is doing better than Golden and it didn’t do terribly either to begin with.

I so need a tour for this album or she could just do a big ass live show extravaganza again on the scale of what the tour would be.

I don't think 'Disco' would taste quite as sweet if it wasn't coming off the heels of 'Golden'. Although 'Disco' is the far superior record to me, 'Golden' was a necessary reset. I enjoy when Kylie pulls back the curtains a little as she doesn't always write about her own experiences and having an album that felt so sincere - even beyond the breakup narrative, like the nod to her father in 'Shelby '68' - was a real palette cleanser after 'Kiss Me Once'. The one-two punch of the general public responding to a new album with a new sound and then a few months spent appreciating her legacy with 'Step Back In Time'/Glastonbury was vindicating, but it feels like 'Disco' is even more celebratory. This is Kylie doing what she does better than anybody else, joyous and life-affirming three-and-a-half minute bursts of pop.

x

Kylie herself has said Golden was the big turning point for her. After the disconnect with Kiss Me Once, she wanted to put her all into the writing of Golden and if it wasn't a success she would take a step back from music.

Golden was/is a great album, yes it has some mixing issues and yes it divided fans but it won over the general public and was a huge success commercially and personally for Kylie.

DISCO though is the sound of Kylie enjoying herself freely in the music and I think that's the big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.