Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinning Around was her Believe; a huge hit that revived a flagging career. She's not going to have another one. Age hasn't got much to do with it, Spinning Around did for Kylie what Believe did for Cher.
See also J-Lo with On The Floor. Celine Dion with Loved Me Back To Life.
Cher managed a cute little hit with I Hope You Find it similar to Kylie having a cute little hit with Dancing too.

Cher being 50 and Kylie being in her early 30's is a moot point. They both smashed it when nobody expected it.

Last edited:
I’d actually argue that All the Lovers was her Believe moment. It may not have gone to #1, but I think most of the GP assume that it did, and it came at a moment where many assumed she was “over” because of her age (which is gross, but anyway).
Alot of people I know, are surprised when I say that song WASN'T a #1. All assumed it was.

At one point in the late 90s or so they cost £3.99; adjust that for whatever today's equivalent is and it looks even more ridiculous.

Inflation has pretty much doubled from 1998 til now, so that would be around £8 and you can purchase a whole CD album for that in a supermarket now.

Last edited:
When we say 'this was her Believe moment' not everything needs to be identical.
It was her Believe in that she had a global smash late in the game, out of nowhere that re-started her career in all markets, made her tour the world, do all the big awards and have a multi-platinum album. That was a Believe.
At 33 is late in game? It wasn't really out of nowhere, Light Years already paved the way for her 'imperial phase' which was Fever. The odds were not against her to succeed.

At 33 is late in game? It wasn't really out of nowhere, Light Years already paved the way for her 'imperial phase' which was Fever. The odds were not against her to succeed.

Well in comparison to the likes of Britney and Christina she was probably viewed by the industry as old. Remember Holly Valance making snide comments about not wanting to be singing pop songs in her early 30s or something to that effect?

Remember Holly Valance
tenor.gif

he / him
You're missing the key point of @Vasilios' comment—"Can't Get You Out Of My Head" restarted her career in all markets. Yes, Light Years and its singles were huge hits in her key markets, but they were merely cute Top 40 hits internationally. "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" relaunched Kylie in the US after a decade of irrelevance and went No. 1 basically everywhere. It was unlikely that Kylie was going to flop with whatever was released as the follow-up to Light Years, but I doubt anyone could've predicted how huge "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" and Fever would end up being.

And @Celestial Mosaic is right—she may have only been twelve years into her music career, but that still spanned three decades and the GP were ageist towards her for this.

Yeah Light Years kinda fizzled out after a good start, when you realise Kids was a Robbie single too and Please Stay was kind of just a fanbase cute hit. Also Light Years didn't really do much worldwide, with cute sales in just her main two markets. It definitely put her name back on the map but it wasn't the reason Head smashed, like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.