Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition | Page 820 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Very well said this I think.

2. Kylie already had her Believe moment with Can’t Get You Out If My Head anyway.

3. RJF

RJF

I mean, most pre-download singles have low sales because they didn't keep CD singles on the shelves forever. This is less about the charts meaning nothing and more about consumption methods changing. Now instead of scraping a Silver certification with your single on the Woolies rack for six weeks, you can achieve entire certifications years after the fact because the song is always available. Is this not a good thing?

4. Not to mention that they were riotously expensive. At one point in the late 90s or so they cost £3.99; adjust that for whatever today's equivalent is and it looks even more ridiculous.

Comparing today's chart with that of 15-20 years ago is, well...a bit like arguing that TV ratings are shit when your benchmark is the number of people who watched Dirty Den serve Angie with divorce papers.

5. I don't know what's worse, people still clambering for a Top 40/20/10 in this day and age, or the praise heaped on such a nothingy song like Unstoppable.

6. Kylie clambering over the DJ table during Studio 2054? A moment.

7. Unstoppable gets hate? She's a cute girl.

lob0to, inevitable and jvckkk like this.
  8. A sneaker smash honestly especially after the explosion of Dance Floor Darling, think that’s why at first I didn’t pay much attention to it but it’s so good after hammering it more.

hollaa01, jvckkk and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  9. Unstoppable, is a real grower.

lob0to, hollaa01 and Vyrisus like this.
  10. [​IMG]

11. Sis she was 33 not 50. That's not a Believe moment.

Mr.Arroz, Uno, AllGagaLike and 9 others like this.
  12. I truly believe we can have a 'Believe' in the future. She's KYLIE.

Mikey1701 likes this.
  13. Spinning Around was her Believe; a huge hit that revived a flagging career. She's not going to have another one. Age hasn't got much to do with it, Spinning Around did for Kylie what Believe did for Cher.
    See also J-Lo with On The Floor. Celine Dion with Loved Me Back To Life.
    Cher managed a cute little hit with I Hope You Find it similar to Kylie having a cute little hit with Dancing too.

Cher being 50 and Kylie being in her early 30's is a moot point. They both smashed it when nobody expected it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    elektroxx, Staticboombox and Vasilios like this.
  14. I’d actually argue that All the Lovers was her Believe moment. It may not have gone to #1, but I think most of the GP assume that it did, and it came at a moment where many assumed she was “over” because of her age (which is gross, but anyway).

HolyWater, Mr.Arroz, Uno and 7 others like this.
  15. JAN 2nd - WORLDWIDE SPOTIFY
    Real Groove (Studio 2054) - 789,345 (+253,976) + (+50,798) album version

16. Alot of people I know, are surprised when I say that song WASN'T a #1. All assumed it was.

17. When we say 'this was her Believe moment' not everything needs to be identical.
    It was her Believe in that she had a global smash late in the game, out of nowhere that re-started her career in all markets, made her tour the world, do all the big awards and have a multi-platinum album. That was a Believe.

18. Inflation has pretty much doubled from 1998 til now, so that would be around £8 and you can purchase a whole CD album for that in a supermarket now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  19. At 33 is late in game? It wasn't really out of nowhere, Light Years already paved the way for her 'imperial phase' which was Fever. The odds were not against her to succeed.

Uno, AllGagaLike and YourOwnThing like this.
  20. Well in comparison to the likes of Britney and Christina she was probably viewed by the industry as old. Remember Holly Valance making snide comments about not wanting to be singing pop songs in her early 30s or something to that effect?

elektroxx and Nephilim like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.