Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
To reiterate what other users have said, the singles charts today are almost unrecognisable to how they were when Cher released Believe.

You don’t just put out a catchy song, get it on radio and sell a shedload of CDs and that’s it (I’m massively simplifying I know).

Scoring a single hit nowadays involves so much more, radio and streaming support, going viral, etc which are all skewed to a younger demographic. The sad truth of the matter being a demographic which people just don’t align Kylie Minogue with in 2021.

Her team made the right choice by incorporating these things into their strategy as a means to capture a Radio 2 audience, as they know this is her best chance at making bank and its worked bloody wonders.

Kylie probably won’t have another top 10 hit in her career but it doesn’t matter. She doesn’t need it, the goodwill and recognition gained around her achievements in recent years (culminating with Disco) is more than enough for the public to recognise her as the icon that she is.

The missing ingredient that everyone's failed to mention, regardless of what chart system, is actually having a song as bulletproof and brilliant as Believe which is what made the world love it in the first place, looking far beyond gender, age, etc. Kylie hasn't released anything since All the Lovers that would or should warrant such acclaim, so quibbling over how the charts work these days seems irrelevant.

The missing ingredient that everyone's failed to mention, regardless of what chart system, is actually having a song as bulletproof and brilliant as Believe which is what made the world love it in the first place, looking far beyond gender, age, etc. Kylie hasn't released anything since All the Lovers that would or should warrant such acclaim, so quibbling over how the charts work these days seems irrelevant.

I would argue that Get Outta My Way, Dancing, Say Something and Real Groove all fulfil this but it’s really a matter of personal taste, to be honest.

Believe would likely not be a hit if it were released today, that’s why chart discussions and the changes in the system are important. Implying that a song does well purely because of how good it is is a bit short sighted in my view. There are plenty of tracks which didn’t hit the highs they should’ve done in this regard.

Yeah, Believe would go top 80 if it were luckily these days.

Expecting Kylie to achieve that kind of single success renaissance in 2021 isn't realistic

he / him
I would argue that Get Outta My Way, Dancing, Say Something and Real Groove all fulfil this but it’s really a matter of personal taste, to be honest.

Believe would likely not be a hit if it were released today, that’s why chart discussions and the changes in the system are important. Implying that a song does well purely because of how good it is is a bit short sighted in my view. There are plenty of tracks which didn’t hit the highs they should’ve done in this regard.
I don't want to put words in @Suburbia's mouth, but I don't think that they are referring to the quality of the music. It's not about releasing a good song or even a great song—it's about releasing the right song—a song with that je ne sais quoi that'll not just appeal to fans (hardcore and casual), but also to the non-music loving GP. However, those songs are far and few between and Kylie has already had hers with "Can't Get You Out Of My Head."

Believe was a hit because of the vocoder gimmick at first, most of the people who bought it initially just went to stores and asked for that weird computer voice dance banger. It didn't matter who sung it. It wasn't a hit because it was by Cher, it was a hit despite.

Similarly, Can't Get You Out Of My Head had the 'la la la lala lalalas' - I remember playing the newly leaked mp3 at work and a group of 15 people of all ages hearing it for the first time and singing along by the second chorus. One of them bought the CD single with the b-sides and kept singing 'girl' instead of 'boy you're all that I ever think about' - mess.

Odds are against anyone (not just 80s pop stars, even more current stars are affected, Katy Perry comes to mind) not appealing to young Spotify or Apple Music customers to have a singles chart hit in the streaming age but I think there's still a tiny chance, if, something in the vein of Dance Monkey (which is terrible but let me finish) was a new Cher song or a new Kylie song, it'd still be a hit if stars aligned (great play listing / TikTok / viral moment / cool video / physical formats and the most elusive of all, radio play).

As long as albums are being sold - where the money is, and tours resume, it doesn't matter anyway, but it'd be lying if I said I would not enjoy my first faves having another chart hit.

He/him
Yeah Light Years kinda fizzled out after a good start, when you realise Kids was a Robbie single too and Please Stay was kind of just a fanbase cute hit. Also Light Years didn't really do much worldwide, with cute sales in just her main two markets. It definitely put her name back on the map but it wasn't the reason Head smashed, like at all.

I can only speak from an Australian's point of view (and not a sales one). Kylie had a mega resurgence in 1997 with the Impossible Princess record. Australians are renowned for stanning "live pub rock" music.

The way that this record was pushed through live television performance, paired back image and the subsequent Intimate & Live Tour really playing up to this and it did wonders for her brand.

The success of the tour and the surprise that the "singing budgie" had come into her own really set up the foundation for what was to come. The timing of Spinning around , having the Sydney 2000 Olympics closing ceremony badically centred around her and the runaway success of On A Night Like This and subsequent singles from Light Years and the album itself catapulted her into super star status (again) and cemented her as an icon into the Australian psyche.

Reading back over what you said initially - you are totally right as Australia is one of her two main markets - but by the time Head and the the video came out in 2001 she was already on an upward trajectory in the Australian market so I would say that it was bound to smash straight out of the gate - in Australia anyway. I remember the video making it headline news on all the channels. It was such a magical time.

I can remember some shitty muso writer trying to entirely remove Kylie from the success of Can't Get You Out of My Head when it was huge.: "She's no more than a featured vocalist on a Daft Punk hit" or words to this effect.

I think she would have continued to be moderately successful without it, but it was definitely the tentpole moment of her 2000-2005 Pop Queen phase.

The obsession some people have with the top 40 singles and Kylie getting into it is weird.

I'm confused by it too. Why the top 40 songs? The top 50 or top 100 sounds like a better number. I'm in my 20s so maybe its an age thing that I have missed out on.

Last edited:
Also, to my understanding, Kylie never really went away like Cher did. Yes, Impossible Princess underperformed (in the UK) but KM94 did really well for her and Confide in Me and Put Yourself in My Place are classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.