Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition | Page 821 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - DISCO: Guest List Edition

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Dec 23, 2019.

1. At 33 is late in game? It wasn't really out of nowhere, Light Years already paved the way for her 'imperial phase' which was Fever. The odds were not against her to succeed.

Uno, AllGagaLike and YourOwnThing like this.
  2. Well in comparison to the likes of Britney and Christina she was probably viewed by the industry as old. Remember Holly Valance making snide comments about not wanting to be singing pop songs in her early 30s or something to that effect?

elektroxx and Nephilim like this.
  3. Spinning Around and Head both came in her 3rd decade of being a pop star which IS late in the game, no matter if she was 33 or 53.

scottdisick94, lob0to, Leis and 2 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]

5. Felicity didn't leave Neighbours for this shit

Uno, lushLuck, sfmartin and 2 others like this.
  6. Kylie launched in 88. Spinning Around came in 2000. That's 12 years.

YourOwnThing likes this.
  7. 80's, 90's, 00's = 3 decades in which she was active as a pop star.

8. I remember so many ageist comments on Kylie in 2001/2002 - from the public, media and some celebrities. They were saying she is old, had a facelift etc. That was ridiculous.

9. [​IMG]

10. Exactly this.

lob0to, Jacques, P'NutButter and 5 others like this.
  11. Such a talented creative team.

12. You're missing the key point of @Vasilios' comment—"Can't Get You Out Of My Head" restarted her career in all markets. Yes, Light Years and its singles were huge hits in her key markets, but they were merely cute Top 40 hits internationally. "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" relaunched Kylie in the US after a decade of irrelevance and went No. 1 basically everywhere. It was unlikely that Kylie was going to flop with whatever was released as the follow-up to Light Years, but I doubt anyone could've predicted how huge "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" and Fever would end up being.

And @Celestial Mosaic is right—she may have only been twelve years into her music career, but that still spanned three decades and the GP were ageist towards her for this.

13. Yeah Light Years kinda fizzled out after a good start, when you realise Kids was a Robbie single too and Please Stay was kind of just a fanbase cute hit. Also Light Years didn't really do much worldwide, with cute sales in just her main two markets. It definitely put her name back on the map but it wasn't the reason Head smashed, like at all.

14. To reiterate what other users have said, the singles charts today are almost unrecognisable to how they were when Cher released Believe.

You don’t just put out a catchy song, get it on radio and sell a shedload of CDs and that’s it (I’m massively simplifying I know).

Scoring a single hit nowadays involves so much more, radio and streaming support, going viral, etc which are all skewed to a younger demographic. The sad truth of the matter being a demographic which people just don’t align Kylie Minogue with in 2021.

Her team made the right choice by incorporating these things into their strategy as a means to capture a Radio 2 audience, as they know this is her best chance at making bank and its worked bloody wonders.

Kylie probably won’t have another top 10 hit in her career but it doesn’t matter. She doesn’t need it, the goodwill and recognition gained around her achievements in recent years (culminating with Disco) is more than enough for the public to recognise her as the icon that she is.

15. The missing ingredient that everyone's failed to mention, regardless of what chart system, is actually having a song as bulletproof and brilliant as Believe which is what made the world love it in the first place, looking far beyond gender, age, etc. Kylie hasn't released anything since All the Lovers that would or should warrant such acclaim, so quibbling over how the charts work these days seems irrelevant.

16. I would argue that Get Outta My Way, Dancing, Say Something and Real Groove all fulfil this but it’s really a matter of personal taste, to be honest.

Believe would likely not be a hit if it were released today, that’s why chart discussions and the changes in the system are important. Implying that a song does well purely because of how good it is is a bit short sighted in my view. There are plenty of tracks which didn’t hit the highs they should’ve done in this regard.

17. SBK

SBK

Yeah, Believe would go top 80 if it were luckily these days.

Expecting Kylie to achieve that kind of single success renaissance in 2021 isn't realistic

P'NutButter likes this.
  18. I don't want to put words in @Suburbia's mouth, but I don't think that they are referring to the quality of the music. It's not about releasing a good song or even a great song—it's about releasing the right song—a song with that je ne sais quoi that'll not just appeal to fans (hardcore and casual), but also to the non-music loving GP. However, those songs are far and few between and Kylie has already had hers with "Can't Get You Out Of My Head."

Jamie, Neon Green, MmmDani and 6 others like this.
  19. blaze_dave and P'NutButter like this.
  20. blaze_dave and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.