Kylie Minogue - General Discussion | Page 2199 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Weezerfan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. That's the one. Memories!

2. In an alternate universe Like A Drug would be one of Kylie’s signature hits.

3. That and Speakerphone were robbed.

4. I’ve always felt that Wow was rolled out after 2 Hearts‘ poor reception, as a quick ‘oh dear, throw out something camp to get the fans back onboard’. I would’ve loved it to be Speakerphone or something more interesting!

HorseTears likes this.
  5. I imagine there was never any doubt 'Wow' was going to be single #2. It was obvious from the first play.

6. I’d imagine the record company would be pushing for it to be the first single instead of 2 Hearts. It’s a good representation of what the public wants/expects from her at that time.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  7. HMD

HMD

Both 2 Hearts and Wow are the exact opposite of what the general public (and the fans) expected from Kylie. Most people wanted something more personal and ‘meaningful’. And I don’t think Wow was seen as ‘cool’ at the time outside the UK (I loved it from first listen though).

Juango and Wayne1978 like this.
  8. I disagree, I think the public wanted something personal after her cancer battle, not more PWL-esque pop churn. Wasn’t that part of the criticism over X, that’s she’d been through so much and then there were barely any references on the ‘comeback’ album?

elektroxx and HMD like this.
  9. We must have been typing the same message at the same time lol!

YourOwnThing and HMD like this.
  10. Sadly I think she was damned if she did, damned if she didn’t with X re: “something personal”.

The album is a fascinating example of calculation leading to many a misfire. Wow, All I See and others are almost lab-grown and really rather predictable and empty. I’ll always be thankful for it giving us The One though. Despite rebuttals of ‘oh it’s I Believe In You again’, it remembers and enhances the beautiful Kylie formula of euphoria + vulnerability

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  11. HMD

HMD

Indeed! Lol
    I remember many reviews discussing this point.

Wayne1978 likes this.
  12. The single "edit" of 'Wow' makes such a difference. But I still don't like the thing.

13. As soon as it was performed on The Kylie Show I would've put money on it.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  14. There's a single edit? Either I've never heard it, or I've never noticed the difference...

SecretSatisfaction likes this.
  15. Pretty much this. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t seem to like it
    I can kind of bop to

though

17. Be right back, deleting the album version and replacing it with that edit.

P'NutButter likes this.
  18. It sounds like someone's laid a cheap keyboard drum loop over it.

19. and it works!

highcontrast likes this.
  20. I think die hard fans and critics wanted introspection. But the record buying public has always preferred her to serve up fun and straightforward pop. They’ve always been her most successful records. This is also why I think DISCO stands a serious chance of breaking out.

Wayne1978 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.