Kylie Minogue - General Discussion | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Weezerfan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Re: General Kylie discussion

Confide In Me is a supreme moment in Kylie's career. That and Can't Get You Out Of My Head, of course.

2. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Re: General Kylie discussion

I'm still all about "X" where Kylie's concerned.
    Seeing her live really gave it a new lease of life.

I've been a fan of hers since before she wore dungarees, but I only bought Body Language and Light Years within the last 18 months.

I don't really like Body Language, apart from Red Blooded Woman and Promises.
    And sometimes Slow.

But I do hope she continues to make "fun pop".

3. Re: General Kylie discussion

100% agree. My Sky+ has been set for days for tomorrow night! Only saw it live mere days ago but I am itching to get home from work tomorrow with some wine and see it all over again (for the fourth time...yes, I may be a bit mental.)

4. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I can't get digital tv. Cry.

But I will see it some other way.

Can't wait!

5. Re: General Kylie discussion

Pretending for a moment that you are not assuming an 'hilarious' persona, and you actually mean what you say (as opposed to saying whatever it takes to wind people up), what is your obsession with Kylie's marital status about?

6. debord

debord Guest

The X Tour just made me love the songs I already loved more ('2 Hearts', 'In My Arms', 'The One', 'Speakerphone') and hate the ones I hated even more ('Heartbeat Rock', 'Nu-di-ty', 'Sensitized').

7. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

But she did "heartbeat rock" ironically, and it worked!!!

i don't lik the other two though.

8. Re: General Kylie discussion

I don't like those 3 tracks, but agree (Tribal Spaceman) that 'Heartbeat Rock' somehow worked really well. I did like the backing projection of Nu-Di-Ty, but nothing about Sensitized live rocked my world.

9. debord

debord Guest

I don't see why 'Heartbeat Rock' was 'ironic'. It was just re-invented as a Gwen Stefani-esque chant thing (as it was no doubt originally meant to be had it worked) and, while it sounded okay, it bore almost no relation to the recorded version. So coming back and listening to that just made it sound even worse.

10. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

she's a 40 year-old woman, dressed as a cheerleader.
    if that's not irony she needs to see a shrink...

the nu-di-ty videos warped my fragile little mind...

11. Re: General Kylie discussion

It had more drums, more of a marching feel, yes. But I don't think it's fair to say it bore no relation to the recording. I think the spectacle (the big screen graphics in particular, oh, and Kylie being held in the splits of course) may have made it feel so.

I wouldn't have said it was ironic either - nor a calculated Gwen rip-off. I don't know, it just felt fun to me, I didn't analyse it a lot more than that

12. debord

debord Guest

I'm still really failing to see the irony. Gwen Stefani is 38. And even if it was done tongue in cheek, what is 'ironic' about it?!

13. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

ironic is too strong a word.

it was tongue-in-cheek, as opposed to the somewhat pretentious way the song comes across on the album...

14. debord

debord Guest

I watched it back on youtube after. Of course the recorded version is the same song, but it sounds like a crappy demo which was brought to life with a 'Hey Mickey' mash-up. And even then it's still not a very good song. It was just better than the album version.

15. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

well it wasn't great.
    but i enjoyed it.

in fact the only songs i can remember not enjoying were "Loveboat" and one of the news ones...

16. debord

debord Guest

Well I already described my reaction to the show in the tour thread, so no need to repeat them here at the moment. But I'll be interested to watch it back when I get the chance (won't be in tomorrow night) and see what I think.

17. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

yeah i think that will be interesting for all of us, seeing it on tv.

18. SBK

SBK

I cant wait to see the tour on the tv, seems like ages ago i saw it live.

and call me old fashioned, but maybe the reason Kylies never got married is because she's never had anyone ask her???

19. debord

debord Guest

Ok. I've watched it again. Started off brilliant - I always loved the opening bit. Even 'Ruffle My Feathers' didn't kill the momentum this time as it did live. But then....utter tedium. The pacing really was atrocious.

Plus points about the tv broadcast:
    - it focused on Kylie so you didn't see the frequently ridiculous bits where the dancers were doing elaborate routines on the other side of the stage and she seemed to be wondering around aimlessly
    - it got rid of all the gaps inbetween songs
    - it got rid of fucking 'Copacabana'
    - you couldn't see the stage people setting up behind her as you frequently could during the show

I'm not sure if I'll buy this DVD to be honest.

20. Re: General Kylie discussion

Not being a Kylie fan, I thought the first half an hour was amazing - the "Speakerphone" intro, the giant skull, the cartoonish outfits, the imagery. All pushing what's Kylie's done before. Although I know they dropped an act in there somewhere, so I can imagine it may have been slower live.

But yeah, after an hour, it lost pace and became boring. I think she was incredibly limited by her staging - how exciting can a flat stage and some dancers be? She needed some change at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.