Kylie Minogue - General Discussion | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie Minogue - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Weezerfan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Re: General Kylie discussion

That's what I'd like to know...

2. Still_FMW

Still_FMW Guest

Re: General Kylie discussion

Why would anybody go to a concert supporting an album if they don't know/like the songs from it? Baffles the mind

3. Re: General Kylie discussion

It's being shown on T4 this Sunday or the following one, with 10 minutes lobbed off the time. But this could take into account the five-minute ad breaks when shown on 4 Music.

4. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

Babysteps I think, she's finally going to break out of her mould now and get in control of her image/music.

5. debord

debord Guest

If you read back you’ll see that I was responding to someone saying that the concert would go down well on Channel 4. My point is that concerts which are aimed squarely at fanbase would not.

Speaking generally, of course I’m not saying only hits should be played. But the setlist of X2008 was completely all over the place and the fact that she added multiple hits to it after it started speaks volumes. The tours following ‘Light Years’ and ‘Fever’ were both hits heavy while featuring plenty of each album, and that was albums which contained several hugely popular singles as opposed to ‘X’, which only had ‘Wow’. Like it or not people don’t go to Kylie concerts to see an avant-garde pop masterwork. They go to dance and sing along.

6. Re: General Kylie discussion

...which I'm sure they got to do. Seriously, who would buy a ticket to see her and not pick up a copy of X for £3 to familiarise in the meantime?

7. debord

debord Guest

I think you’d be surprised. How many of the people who went to see Prince at the 02 do you think bothered to listen to his new album first? How many of the people who went to see Dolly Parton bought her new album first? We’re talking acts which most people are going to see because of their back catalogues, not because of their latest albums.

8. Re: General Kylie discussion

I was texting all my friends to watch when Madonna's cock popped out of her leotard, so that would've got her a few more viewers...

9. moorje

moorje Guest

Seeing as she had just done 2 hits-oriented world tours I for one was glad of an album tour. Besides it was called KylieX2008, the name of the tour wasn't exactly misleading.

10. debord

debord Guest

No one said she shouldn't do an album tour, and no one said it was misleading.

11. Re: General Kylie discussion

I agree with you but, whilst I wouldn't have changed much about the show, I can see that random concert-goers who are not Kylie fans (like the drunk pillock who stood in front of me and shouted "More, Keely!") would not know some of the stuff and would get bored. Well, my thoughts on that are - tough shit! She put on a fantastic show and even the more obscure songs were performed very well and the show was hugely entertaining. Artists can't please everybody and it was time to do something different this time. If this had ended up being Showgirl Part III, I think there would have been just as big an uproar.

12. Re: General Kylie discussion

Well said. I agree totally!!!!!

Marry me!! :)

13. debord

debord Guest

Why are you turning this into a 'she should have done another greatest hits' complaint and running away with that notion? That's not remotely what I said. You can do an album tour without alienating casual fans. As she has managed before. The setlist for X2008 was all over the place. I say that as someone who loved Showgirl, loved Fever and loved On A Night Like This. This is the first Kylie show where I have been BORED (and I obviously know all of her music). God knows what the people who didn't know the music must have thought. When my friend told me to look around during the Manga girl section most people around us really did look like they were about to fall asleep. As I said earlier, the fact that she felt the need to shove in a bunch of hits after the first few shows just shows how much she misjudged it this time.

14. moorje

moorje Guest

That's not what you seem to be saying here:

Believe it or not, this will happen at every gig; some people will know more songs than others. If everyone pandered to their audience not being big fans and churning out the same songs every show then they may as well take up residency in Vegas...or Blackpool.

15. Re: General Kylie discussion

Precisely.

I can see why debord may have been slightly deBored at the Manga section - it was probably the weakest part (alongside bloody Copacabana) and I do have to admit that Sensitized - which is one of my most favourite Kylie songs in the history of, like, ever - was disappointing BUT BUT BUT with a 2-hour+ show there are always going to be bits that don't hit the mark as well as some of the others. Presumably there were parts of the two Showgirl shows and previous tours that even avid fans found boring. I have always hated Kids and Please Stay and endured them with a brave smile when they came on in her concerts because even the boring pieces are served by Kylie with panache and are in any event compensated for by the brilliance of the rest of the set.

16. Re: General Kylie discussion

I remember during Homecoming feeling a bit lost during the Cowboy Style section. Still loved the show as a whole, though.

17. debord

debord Guest

The bit you quote above was me speaking about it being broadcast on Channel 4 and the likelihood of anyone other than hardcore fans watching it. But yes, people did look bored during much of the ‘X’ material – because it was paced incredibly poorly. Yes, there are always going to be moments where people don’t particularly like the songs, but the problem with this tour went well beyond that. As I’ve already said, she played album tracks in her previous album tours – but they were well-mixed with crowd pleasers and the pacing was a lot better (ie don’t throw away your biggest hit on the second song, getting the crowd going and then kill the mood stone dead by playing a new song).

It’s an opinion that I’ve seen expressed a lot – but it’s only an opinion. You guys obviously loved it – great.

18. Re: General Kylie discussion

Having seen 'x' 3 times - yes I know, sad - I was surprised that at none of these gigs did people go mad for 'CGYOOMY'. I think everyone is totally fatigued with that song.

19. Re: General Kylie discussion

For the perfect balance of hits and album material, please see the Fever Tour.

For me, the minor problem with the X tour wasn't the album tracks, but using Ruffle My Feathers/Boombox/Flower/the other one - ie: tracks that were even MORE obscure. They slowed the pacing down. And let's be honest, Can't Get You Out Of My Head was wasted.

However, the high points of this tour (the opening, Like A Drug, Step Back In Time, Slow) were some of the best moments I have ever seen as a concert goer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.