Kylie Minogue Rate: Part.2 - Deconstruction ✺ (RESULTS - 2ND PLACE & WINNER!)

Which Deconstruction album is the best?

• Total voters
kylieheaderpart2_zpso58a6zl0.png

Kylie Minogue - actress, singer, songwriter, gay icon, survivor, goddess, singing budgie... Undeniably one of the most successful female musicians of all time.

For this rate we will be going over Kylie's complete musical career, I've divided it into three sections, each incredibly different and varying in style, but all as important.

PWL Years: 1989-1993

Kylie's early career was centered solely at PWL's Hit Factory,
hugely successful but not richly satisfying to Kylie...

Results of this part can be found here.

Deconstruction: 1994-1999

After the almost militant music releases and recordings at PWL,
Kylie went looking for creativity and a new avenue for her to showcase her talents...

Parlophone 2000-2015

With creative satisfaction and change can sometimes come hostility,
Kylie witnessed this at the end of her time with Deconstruction.
Pop was needed and pop is what Kylie gave - in a big way.

44-43-42
40-39
38-37
36-35
34-33
32-31
28-27
24-23
20-19
16-15
13-12

Last edited:
DeconstructionKylie_zpsgpiae6xv.png

Kylie Minogue (1994)

KylieMinogue1994.jpg

Released 19th September 1994
Kylie Minogue was the first album to be released with Deconstruction, Kylie's new label.
Kylie worked with new producers Brothers In Rhythm and The Rapino Brothers and collaborated with artists such as Saint Etienne, M People and Pet Shop Boys and explored styles and sounds completely alien to those she had released previously.
Charting at #4 in the UK and #3 in Australia the album was a success.
To date it has sold over 2 million copies.

Impossible Princess (1997)

Kylie_Minogue_Impossible_Princess.png

Released 22nd October 1997 (Japan)
Derived from the book 'Poems to Break the Hearts of Impossible Princesses', Impossible Princess was Kylie's second album with Deconstruction.
This time due to the label backing off, the majority of the album's production process, song writing and production were primarily handled by Kylie in collaboration with producers Dave Ball, Ingo Vauk, Brothers in Rhythm, Manic Street Preachers and Rob Dougan.
Charting at #10 in the UK the album was deemed a commercial flop, but in Australia it reached #4 and was a mild success.
(The album's title was changed to Kylie Minogue in the UK, due to the tragically coincidental death of Princess Diana.)

51ibOaOiwVL._SY300_.jpg

The following tracks basically didn't fit under the umbrella of "B-Sides" etc, so here they are as "extras", basically rarities, collabs, official demo releases and a live performance.

So listen and enjoy the tracks, rate them 0-10, half points included. Also remember you have the one 11, so choose wisely... As previous voters know, commentary is always welcome and appreciated.

I hope you enjoy this second part of the Kylie discography rate!

Last edited:
And so part 2!!! Looking forward to this though can see the Impossible Princess tracks triumphing more overall sadly. Still, let's hope those some of those awful one off songs she did such as The Real Thing and The Reflex go out 1st!!!

I was there 50 minutes sorting bloody YouTube links (my computer crashed halfway through!)

...all done now though. *goes for a coffee*

YA*AA*A**A**SS**S*S S**LLA***

My favourite Kylie era. I'll try to force myself to give no more than 10 tens. OK, 15.

Great! I've missed this. I will be extremely generous in this round, as this is my fave era.

Aston Martin? For All Im Worth? Sorry, you've probably left them out for a reason, but seeing as At the end of the day and Free was included...?

I've had that Hits + compilation for years but only listened to it for the first time yesterday in anticipation of this. I was pleasantly surprised by Love Is Waiting, Gotta Move On and Difficult By Design. They would have definitely helped the album be more upbeat had they been included.

I also love the West End Mix of Where Is The Feeling (much more my 90s than the album version) and also Time Will Pass You By (Paul Masterson Mix) which beefs up the production. I don't get all the hate for that song, I really quite like it! Confide In Me (Big Brothers Mix) is epic, I love how it constantly changes.

She really wasn't in a good place when she made Impossible Princess was she?

Great! I've missed this. I will be extremely generous in this round, as this is my fave era.

Aston Martin? For All Im Worth? Sorry, you've probably left them out for a reason, but seeing as At the end of the day and Free was included...?
Those tracks are being saved for the Anti Rate, after the Parlophone one.

Island

Staff member
This is short and sweet enough. My 11 will probably go to either 'Confide in Me' or 'Breathe'.

3 weeks fits me just fine, can't wait for the reveals already and I haven't even started scoring! G.B.I. for the win please.

I've included the two tracks Steve Anderson put up recently and 'Free' as they were all "officially" released. Those other tracks will be part of the Anti-rate which will be happening May next year.

I too am super exicted to see what the results will be!!! I think this may be the top 5, and these are not just my favourites either by the way:
1.Confide In Me
2.Too Far
3.Breathe
4.Dreams
5.Put Yourself In My Place

Actually I have all ranked these 5 highly I am not going to lie!!!! Still will probably be wrong!!!!

Great design work again P'Nut! I'm already prepared for this, so happy for a closer rate opening date and submission period...come on guys, it's a small rate in comparison to some.

This has already made me reassess how utterly stunning IP is (listening yet again right this second) so I'll be stanning hard for that, although it wont necessarily get my 11!

Staff member
I'm going to say it anyway, but Confide In Me has to have this in the bag, right?

I will try to vote in this.