Kylie Minogue - Tension

Padam-fever peaking during the best few weeks of weather in the UK in 2023 helped too. The song just sounds like summer to me. I close my eyes when I hear it and picture the scotching sun and the hot reds and oranges of the artwork.

I just can’t see a winter release working out any near as much.

he / him
I think it would have still done very well but I also think being released a few weeks prior to Pride Month really helped.
I meant on the End Of Year Chart, but you're right that its release in proximity to Pride Month and Summer likely helped it become as big as it did.

Regarding the likelihood of a Brits "Best International Song" nomination for Padam Padam:

There were 10 songs nominated for that award at the 2023 ceremony. I wondered whether that was the 10 best selling international artist singles from 2022, but it wasn't. 8 of them happened to be, but Beyoncé - Break My Soul & Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero weren't within the Top 10, yet still got nominations (and Break My Soul won!).

Maybe there's a chance of a Padam Padam nomination if it's not just about sales. Kylie does face a lot of competition though. Here's a few international songs that outperformed Padam Padam in the chart last year:

Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For
David Kushner - Daylight
Doja Cat - Paint the Town Red
Jazzy - Giving Me
Libianca - People
Lizzy McAlpine - ceilings
Metro Boomin/The Weeknd/21 Savage - Creepin'
Miley Cyrus - Flowers
Olivia Rodrigo - vampire
Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana
Rema/Selena Gomez - Calm Down
SZA - Kill Bill

Padam-fever peaking during the best few weeks of weather in the UK in 2023 helped too. The song just sounds like summer to me. I close my eyes when I hear it and picture the scotching sun and the hot reds and oranges of the artwork.

I just can’t see a winter release working out any near as much.
It felt like the weather was very much on Kylie's side here. Ironically, the summer turned to dust in the UK after the song peaked. Spooky!

With Padam still doing around 7k a week in the UK I can see it hitting the million mark in a couple of years time and eventually outselling Especially for You to become her 2nd biggest selling single ever, which is pretty wild 35 years into her career when she’s pretty much been written off as a singles artists for the last 10 years.

This reminds me of when Umbrella was #1 the entire time it rained that summer. The moment the sun came out, the track slipped down the charts

Was the opposite in Glasgow weirdly, I just started a new job the same week "Umbrella" was released with an outdoor service area next to the riverside and it was pretty much warm and/or dry right up until the end of July.

Regarding the likelihood of a Brits "Best International Song" nomination for Padam Padam:

There were 10 songs nominated for that award at the 2023 ceremony. I wondered whether that was the 10 best selling international artist singles from 2022, but it wasn't. 8 of them happened to be, but Beyoncé - Break My Soul & Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero weren't within the Top 10, yet still got nominations (and Break My Soul won!).

Maybe there's a chance of a Padam Padam nomination if it's not just about sales. Kylie does face a lot of competition though. Here's a few international songs that outperformed Padam Padam in the chart last year:

David Kushner - Daylight
Jazzy - Giving Me
Libianca - People
Miley Cyrus - Flowers
Olivia Rodrigo - vampire
SZA - Kill Bill
I think Billie Eilish will win it.

D

David Kushner - Daylight
Jazzy - Giving Me
Libianca - People
Miley Cyrus - Flowers
Olivia Rodrigo - vampire
SZA - Kill Bill
Do The Brits still do Best International Female?

I doubt Kylie could win Best International Song - but maybe Best International Female - I remember the year Kylie won over Rihanna who obvs spent a lot more time on the UK charts that year..

D

Do The Brits still do Best International Female?

I doubt Kylie could win Best International Song - but maybe Best International Female - I remember the year Kylie won over Rihanna who obvs spent a lot more time on the UK charts that year..
It’s now the Brit Award for Best International Solo Artist.

Kylie fans in LA – Akbar is having a Kylie night tonight starting at 9pm!
I’m bummed you didn’t end up making it, and that I wasn’t able to get there until 12:30am, but hearing treasures like Word Is Out and Where Has The Love Gone on a dancefloor for the first time set my heart aflutter. The night ending on So Now Goodbye was also a perfect moment of gay euphoria.

Was also nice having a great makeout during the entirely of Padam, and that not even being the guy I took home.