Kylie Minogue - Tension

That‘s not true for Tension, she sold three times what the no 2 album did and would have gotten to no 1 without any vinyl or cassette sales.
That still leaves the CD variants and the extra deluxe edition released midweek. And Padam Padam being a proper hit.

Either way, the sales were inflated by the variants. Although with Tension that still didn't prevent it from going into freefall the week after. Its sales would be even worse without the various formats.
Kylie's main album sales come from her fans buying multiple copies of them and inflating the sales. Fans are eager to boast the #1's and the "new imperial phase" but we wouldn't be there without the many formats released. There's nothing wrong with it, but she'd also end up really suffering without them so it's best for now to keep it up. Tension not doing well shows that even this trend is going to end for her sometime anyway so just squeeze as much from it until it does.

That still leaves the CD variants and the extra deluxe edition released midweek. And Padam Padam being a proper hit.

Either way, the sales were inflated by the variants. Although with Tension that still didn't prevent it from going into freefall the week after. Its sales would be even worse without the various formats.
Kylie's main album sales come from her fans buying multiple copies of them and inflating the sales. Fans are eager to boast the #1's and the "new imperial phase" but we wouldn't be there without the many formats released. There's nothing wrong with it, but she'd also end up really suffering without them so it's best for now to keep it up. Tension not doing well shows that even this trend is going to end for her sometime anyway so just squeeze as much from it until it does.

But realistically how many fans are buying how many variants? And if Kylie couldn’t neither could anyone else, so for example the chart battle with Little Mix - they too had a lot of variants for their Greatest Hits album and they were #1 and #2.

Kylie would still have as much chance as she does now. Sales across the board will just be lower (some might argue how could they get lower!). And to be honest I can only see multiple varient buying adding an extra 5K in sales for an act like Kylie. For someone like Taylor I’d imagine it could add an extra 10-15K in the UK, depends on the stan base. So I don’t really see the argument of Kylie will never get another #1 album ever again cos neither would anyone else

Good article here about how the vinyl boom is all marketing bullshit

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/putting-the-vinyl-revival-in-proper-perspective/

Everything you don't need but feel compelled to buy is all marketing bullshit, if you think about it.

That article does make some good points but they're all points that anyone buying vinyl and paying attention in 2024 is all very well aware of. Sure, most artists have a percentage of fans who will buy every vinyl variant, but it's a low percentage. The majority of people just buy one or two variants, and I suspect that was the case with Tension.

If some people have deeper pockets and want to buy endless colours of the same record, or the general public wants to keep buying copies of What's the Story Morning Glory and Back to Black, well, if it keeps several hundred HMV employees in a job and the physical ecosystem going, it might just be a compromise we have to live with?

he/him
Another planted piece in The Scum:

Along with a repackage of her No1 record Tension, which will include a few new tunes, I can reveal she has started work on her 17th studio album.

A source said: “Kylie has made it clear to her team this is no time to slow down. Plans are already in motion for the next two albums, one of which will be a repackage of Tension with additional songs. As for the direction of album 17 it’s early days — but a full-on dance album is in the works. The plan is to release the Tension repackage towards the end of the year, with probably up to five new tracks.”

Kylie went into the studio in California with chart-topping British DJ Joel Corry early last month to work on her dance-inspired new songs. And in an exclusive chat before their sessions, Joel revealed that he couldn’t wait to get started.

Kylie will also play a one-off show in London’s Hyde Park as part of the British Summer Time gigs in July, with insiders telling me she is hard at work putting a new tour together — her first in five years: “For fans, it’s been an eternity coming. Kylie will finally go on a massive world tour in 2025.”

Well that confirms what some of us have been told. Tension re-package release this year and new album next year with the tour following it. I actually think it's all for the best that way, especially because my wallet can't take it this year. I would also expect a single just in time for pride season again.

I'm excited for the Tension re-release alone. We got two singles/videos with Disco Guest List so I'm expecting something similar. Maybe a Joel Corry collaboration will even be in addition to that.