Kylie Minogue - Tension

Loving You from the Ultimate Kylie sessions

leespoons-kylie.gif

Honestly I don't see myself returning much to this one but it's definitely a well-crafted and produced pop tune. I find the verses as the catchiest part and the 90s influences are really nice too.

I'm bopping, but Tension feels very insubstantial and throwaway. It doesn't have enough charm or a strong hook to justify the fact that the production is nothing special. It does sound very "current", but that's about it.

Sam

he/they
I’d listened to the leak a few months back and actually forgotten just how difficult this is to get your teeth around upon first listen.

Like, it’s everything I actively want a Kylie release to be in 2023 - challenging, left of field and something that positions her firmly outside of her comfort zone sonically and structurally - but, even in a post ‘Padam Padam’ world, it feels extremely abrasive in its intent. It’ll be interesting to see how the good will carries over.

This is where I’m at. I listened to the leak earlier today in anticipation and it almost felt jarring.

I am a sucker for a song that doesn’t quite resolve the way you expect it to, or plays with structure or vibe. It’s growing on me and sounds wonderful in HQ. I think I’d have been blown away if I didn’t listen to the leak while I was still drowning in Padam.

The cheers and chants in the later half of the song really bring this to another level, there slappy guitar synth is such a great choice too. Lots of the DNA of this song is sounds kylie does very well and it works to great effect on 'Tension'

I love the 'Ohhhhs' in the later half of the song that are chopped and reverbed. A huge serve.

I LOVE it. It’s very modern and catchy but unusually structured, it’s very bold to not have a beat properly come in until over a minute in. Padam Padam took a while to click for me but this is very instant and I will no doubt be gymming to this a lot.

Adore her look in the video as well, very throwback to 80s Kylie with a modern/futuristic vibe. I honestly haven’t been excited about a Kylie era since Aphrodite (sorry!) but definitely am with this one. Feels like a real renaissance.

Last edited: