Kylie Minogue - Tension

They/them, he/him
I don't think that Golden and Disco being "too cohesive" was ever a complaint.

People literally complained that Dancing and Stop Me From Falling were identical, and that the album was too samey. That’s always stuck with me because I cannot see how people thought the two songs sounded the same… other than they had guitar intros?

Anyway, she’s 3/3 this era. Bops only.

I’ve been away on holiday over this release but I got back last night and have just caught up on PAGES of opinions. I only listened to the Tension leak once so couldn’t really remember it aside from the boppy “oh my god, touch me right there” hook and I haven’t stopped playing it, I actually can’t get the verses out of my head which I wasn’t expecting. I love the video, think it’s bonkers, the only bit I didn’t love was the mini Showgirl, it just looked a bit cheap. Can’t believe we may get another top 20 hit, I genuinely thought that Padam was a one off. Im so happy that Kylie releases are exciting again, I’ve always loved following the chart success of a new Kylie single.

he / him
People literally complained that Dancing and Stop Me From Falling were identical, and that the album was too samey. That’s always stuck with me because I cannot see how people thought the two songs sounded the same… other than they had guitar intros?
Oh, I'd forgotten about that. I do think that "identical" is a bit hyperbolic, but "Dancing," "Stop Me From Falling," "A Lifetime To Repair" and "Rollin'" all sound similar to one another, which is probably down to Sky's inexperience producing country music.

...which is probably down to Sky's inexperience producing music.
Fixed it.
I think he is a borderline terrible producer. Everything's so loud and flat and most of his songs are so... simple? It might work for a few tracks but him almost being the exclusive producer for the last two albums? Just no.

Very happy that she's bringing a bit of space and playfulness back to her soundscape with Tension.

Last edited:
Do Kylie stans like Sexercize? I don't think I've ever listened to that album in full but I love that song. Videos great as well.

tumblr_n2qrmqTrjv1rdutw3o1_400.gif

I echo previous sentiments that people have mentioned - I keep finding something new in the production after each listen. The heavily filtered background "Oh ohhhhh"s at 2:34 give me fanny flutters. It's just a glorious fun song, I think the video is fantastic and fits it perfectly. Thoughts and prayers to those who aren't getting it at this time.

Will they add it to Hot Hits this week? Let's hope. Stabilising inside the top 200 is definitely promising. Where was Padam on Spotify on the Wednesday and Thursday of week one?

Will they add it to Hot Hits this week? Let's hope. Stabilising inside the top 200 is definitely promising. Where was Padam on Spotify on the Wednesday and Thursday of week one?
Tension

Fri - 01/09 - #76
Sat - 02/09: - #145
Sun - 03/09 - #193
Mon - 04/09 - #188
Padam Padam

Fri 19/05: #104
Sat 20/05: Not Top 200
Sun 21/05: Not Top 200
Mon 22/05: #186
Tue 23/05: #128
Wed 24/05: #110
Thu 25/05: #108

Golden may not be to some people's taste and that's fine, but she needed to make that album at that time. DISCO meanwhile was like a beacon of light during the pandemic - a light, carefree, twinkly album during a really dark time and it's such a shame it didn't get a tour to showcase it properly. But, Infinite Disco did that good enough, I suppose.

Tension feels like a more confident Kylie era, nothing is gonna hold her back.

DISCO gave us Say Something which which is one of her greatest songs and still makes me well up with all those Pandemic feels.