Kylie Minogue

I had a major crush on that dancer grinding up on Kylie in that clip.

I think he danced for a lot of performances on TOTP in the early 90s, I remember him dancing with Annie Lennox and I think he was in the Alex Party video too.

I’m not sure if it was Jake Canuso or not?

I decided at having a go at remixing from scratch Things Can Only Get Better - influenced by Studio 2054 Real Groove remix with Dua….. here is a clip of the work in progress. Feel free to comment - whether you like or not!! It’s so hard to work on some of the SAW material as for some reason the bpm and speed of delivery changes the 2nd chorus on this and also Shocked which I had to abandon…. Anyway I may get this one finished depending how determined I feel!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8yl39cs5c3ygkd/IMG_0797.MOV?dl=0

I realise a lot of people would prefer she steer clear of rappers altogether - but to throw a collaboration with a bona fide A-lister in the bin, only to team up a few years later with a one-hit wonder whose moment had already passed, all in a futile attempt to get a hit in the US...

Sometimes, you just want to shake whoever makes these decisions.

Not having Ludacris on the single chocolate was the single biggest mistake Kylie did in her career, Ludacris was well known in America and for her to veto this was mind boggling

Just read this little story on Sayhey about Jazzi P supposedly slagging Kylie off on Big Brother, glad to hear she was misquoted and I just thought it was a nice little story.
Pauline (Jazzi) and I are very good friends, and she has never had anything but positive things to say about Kylie, past and present.
She was misquoted about her thoughts on Kylie, especially when going into Big Brother when the papers wanted sensational headlines.
What she said was.... before she met Kylie and worked with her she wrongly presumed she would be shit... after seeing her on stage and how brilliant Kylie was, Pauline said she would pay to see her perform without hesitation. I'm fact, we had plans to see the DISCO Tour together but it never happened.

Performing on rhe LGTI tour was one of the highlights of her professional life.

Kylie asked Pauline why she always performed towards the sides of the stage and she replied, cos its your stage and you're the star.

At Kylie's insistence, Pauline pushed herself forward.

Not having Ludacris on the single chocolate was the single biggest mistake Kylie did in her career, Ludacris was well known in America and for her to veto this was mind boggling

"I'm ready to take the milky way to your Hershey's kiss, You know my tongue's got batteries in it". I think she made the right decision. Years later we were afflicted with All I See Feat. Mims and that did nothing for her in the USA.

The biggest mistake was passing on Toxic. Can you imagine the one-two punch of 1st single Slow and then 2nd single Toxic for the Body Language campaign? Also, not leaving Parlophone earlier.

"I'm ready to take the milky way to your Hershey's kiss, You know my tongue's got batteries in it". I think she made the right decision. Years later we were afflicted with All I See Feat. Mims and that did nothing for her in the USA.

The biggest mistake was passing on Toxic. Can you imagine the one-two punch of 1st single Slow and then 2nd single Toxic for the Body Language campaign? Also, not leaving Parlophone earlier.
The biggest mistake in the US was not releasing "Red Blooded Woman" as the first single. Parlophone wasted all Kylie's goodwill and momentum on "Slow" which was never going to be a hit in the US in 2003/04- especially with that video. I adore both the song and video, but they were so out of touch for the US. "Red Blooded Woman" was right there. I remember MTV couldn't stop playing it as background music on all their shows. Such a missed opportunity.

Wow, that rap is well and truly awful. Thank goodness she said no to that. As for Toxic, not gonna lie, never felt it was right for Kylie somehow. Tailor made for Britney I think.

I remember MTV couldn't stop playing it as background music on all their shows. Such a missed opportunity.

Is that a positive thing though? The sound of RBW is very generic Pop/RnB and I can imagine it fitting in well into the background of a music programme.

As for Toxic, not gonna lie, never felt it was right for Kylie somehow. Tailor made for Britney I think.

With the smouldering, Bardot imagery of Body Language and her vocal delivery on the album I have no doubt Kylie would have done a great job on Toxic.

Kylie could not have done to Toxic what Britney did. Everything special and amazing about it is down to Britney and they way she made it her own. It’s not a Kylie song in any way. Nor does it fit in with Body Language.

On the subject of Chocolate, the rap is perfect. It adds something extra to the song and Ludacris would have given her some added exposure in a way that Mims never could due to his status. Kylie fans tend to have a weird and problematic reaction to anything remotely Hip Hop or Rap.

Kylie could not have done to Toxic what Britney did. Everything special and amazing about it is down to Britney and they way she made it her own. It’s not a Kylie song in any way. Nor does it fit in with Body Language.

On the subject of Chocolate, the rap is perfect. It adds something extra to the song and Ludacris would have given her some added exposure in a way that Mims never could due to his status. Kylie fans tend to have a weird and problematic reaction to anything remotely Hip Hop or Rap.

Jazzi P is offended.

he / him
Comparing Ludacris to Mims is like comparing apples and oranges. It was obvious to everyone—besides her label—that Mims would do very little to help Kylie's prospects in the US—a baffling choice on top of a baffling single choice.

Ludacris was a much more inspired choice of collaborator, but I don't know if his inclusion on "Chocolate" would've helped it do better either. "Chocolate" always felt like an odd single choice from Body Language, but that being said, beyond "Slow" and "Red Blooded Woman," I don't think that there were any other tracks that could work as a single—maybe "Sweet Music" or "Secret (Take You Home)." If anything, I probably would've approach a rapper to appear on "Red Blooded Woman," which was her best opportunity of scoring a US hit, imo.

The thing is Fever took off in the US because it sounded like nothing else on radio/MTV at the time. I think Red Blooded Woman ultimately faltered in the US because it was a poor attempt at sounding/looking like everything that already dominated the charts at the time. Slow was definitely too left of center to take off, and ultimately, I’m not really sure there was anything on Body Language that would have made more sense as a single in the States.