Kylie Minogue

William Baker said in the La La La book that they were mindful not to have her become a gay niche act. I think he cited Geri releasing Bag It Up and It's Raining Men back to back and how that affected her second album. I guess Parlophone was still figuring out where her place was in the pop landscape

Yeah we need to remember how the whole industry / scene was back then, it was 2000, straight after the pop boom when even pop bands started to change their sound and look because pop became attached to kids, labels didn't what acts to become too gay because this was the era of Grammys, NME, Radio 1, Q Magazine, old straight white men were calling the shots, on what gets released, what gets stocked, what gets played, what gets awarded, what gets the big budget - kids and gays didn't have the voice and power they have now (or they did but labels scoffed at that because straights also bought music). So pop music was straight-washed a lot. We had the last laugh though!

Yeah we need to remember how the whole industry / scene was back then, it was 2000, straight after the pop boom when even pop bands started to change their sound and look because pop became attached to kids, labels didn't what acts to become too gay because this was the era of Grammys, NME, Radio 1, Q Magazine, old straight white men were calling the shots, on what gets released, what gets stocked, what gets played, what gets awarded, what gets the big budget - kids and gays didn't have the voice and power they have now (or they did but labels scoffed at that because straights also bought music). So pop music was straight-washed a lot. We had the last laugh though!
+1 And we got la la la shortly after.

he / him
William Baker said in the La La La book that they were mindful not to have her become a gay niche act. I think he cited Geri releasing Bag It Up and It's Raining Men back to back and how that affected her second album. I guess Parlophone was still figuring out where her place was in the pop landscape
Someone pointed to "Bag It Up" and "It's Raining Men" a couple pages back as a reason to release "Your Disco Needs You." They might've been hits at the time, but look at Geri's career longevity.

I'm glad that Kylie didn't box herself in too soon. Would the Fever era have hit different if she leaned into the whole overt campiness of "Your Disco Needs You"?

The fact that Your Disco Needs You wasn't a main stream single, for me, is a great thing.
One of the best (another infatuation of mine) pop tunes of all time, yet it's for THE FANS. It's for US and in that I would always find that track special!

Although the lack of a full (main) tour performance of Disco Down, still remains the biggest mystery for me.

What I love about Deconstruction is that they made some very expensive decisions that had no chance of being a hit. They could easily have done a single edit of the Bish Bosh remix of Where Is The Feeling with Kylie dancing about in a video clip and it would have done well. And I love that they went for the talking remix with Kylie swimming about in a pool instead.

I think there are very few examples of really good campaigns from Deconstruction. The quality is there though, but it's not surprising they went bankrupt.

I think Surrender would have made a good single.

I’m not sure whether this is an unpopular opinion or not but I think that KM94 is Kylie’s only 10/10 album (once you’ve deleted the M People B-Side tacked on at the end that’s completely incongruous with the rest of the album, obviously - so a 9/10 and I’m in denial, I guess!?)

Agreed that Deconstruction seemed to have great budgets but confused marketing for their acts - with hindsight I think that M People had both a clear direction and clear identity, which helped them overcome the label’s lack of positioning.

he / him
I’m not sure whether this is an unpopular opinion or not but I think that KM94 is Kylie’s only 10/10 album (once you’ve deleted the M People B-Side tacked on at the end that’s completely incongruous with the rest of the album, obviously - so a 9/10 and I’m in denial, I guess!?)
I'm with you in that I agree that KM94 is the closest that Kylie has come to releasing a perfect album and had she scrapped "Time Will Pass You By," it would've been a perfect album.

I guess I understand why Time Will Pass You By made the cut but considering what was left on the cutting room floor... At The End of the Day, Our Lovin', Living for Your Loving - whew.