Kylie Minogue

I had no idea half the album was covers either. I wonder if that was a bit of a conscious decision and they went looking got released songs? Choose underground, obscure, underrated songs to cover to get credibility from “proper” dance music fans? A sort of “look how cool I am” idea.

All this talk of self-titled has made me want to listen to the record again. What an era! Truly one of my favourite records. This is the playlist I use:
  1. Confide in Me
  2. Surrender (Talking Soul Mix)
  3. If I Was Your Lover (Original Version)
  4. Where is the Feeling? (BIR Dolphin Mix)
  5. Put Yourself in My Place
  6. Dangerous Game
  7. Automatic Love (Original Version)
  8. Where Has the Love Gone? (Roach Motel Remix) [the long one]
  9. Falling
  10. At the End of the Day
Quite like this set list must admit.

Remind me again; "At the End of the Day" that was on a promo cassette and someone found and ripped it around 2009/10? Then Steve Anderson posted it on his audio archives a few years later?

Also: "If I Was Your Lover" what mixes is there of this?

I didn't realise that remixes were commissioned for Surrender!
Almost everything on self-titled was considered to be a single at one point, so remixes were commissioned for them. The Talking Soul Mix is the only one we have of Surrender, although there are known to be others in the vaults.

Remind me again; "At the End of the Day" that was on a promo cassette and someone found and ripped it around 2009/10? Then Steve Anderson posted it on his audio archives a few years later?

Also: "If I Was Your Lover" what mixes is there of this?
I believe that's correct about At the End of the Day! Such a gorgeous track.
There is only one other mix of If I Was Your Lover that we have. It's the original version of the track before it was re-recorded to make it more "American", since the song was considered for a single release. There is a rumoured All-Star Mix, too.

I can't find the source anymore but there was a mix that was supposed to be on the 2003 deluxe of the 1994 self titled and it got removed - might have been If I Was Your Lover (All Star Mix).

Those 2003 re issues of the Deconstruction albums on the whole were very well put together I think. A few more rarities in terms of unreleased tracks or B-sides from the eras would have been nice, but overall, excellent re issues.

Yeah, those reissues were the kind that I hope we get for the Parlophone albums. A good mix of unreleased tracks, b-sides, and interesting remixes.

I wonder if "Surrender" was a cover in a tradition sense or if it was a demo that was passed around to multiple artists around the same time. The gap between Tia Carrere's Dream and Kylie Minogue's Self-Titled was less than a year, so both artists could've recorded the track around the same time, but Tia was able to release her album first because Kylie was busy with Street Fighter. Especially because at that time, music was so regional. Did Dream receive a wide release?

Tia was coming off the huge success of Wayne's World 2 so I think she'd got first dibs. And when the album bombed the songs found new homes.

Has she ever spoken about knowing that ‘Bury Me Deep in Love’ was used in Harold and Madge’s wedding in Neighbours? What a great track that is!

The recording with Kylie is one of my favourite of her deeper deep cuts. I forget it exists for stretches of time then I rediscover it in my files and it's just gorgeous. I hope they can find space for it when they collect together the Light Years era odds and ends when the time comes. Especially if they use the "additional adlib" mix from this https://www.discogs.com/release/4591644-Jimmy-Little-And-Kylie-Minogue-Bury-Me-Deep-In-Love

I wouldn't mind an album in the style of white room ambient club music, ala Falling and Where Has the Love Gone. It

would have charted at about #28 and been out of the chart a week later

but I would've loved it as a giant fuck you to her creditors who try to keep her pigeonholed.

Fuck it, get her to work with Orbital for KM XVI. She has nothing to lose (and everything to gain)!

Last edited:
An Impossible Princess without songs like Breathe and Limbo is wrong. The middle 8 of Breathe alone is absolutely amazing.

I'd love for something to be planned for the 25th anniversary of Impossible Princess. Am I right in thinking that Kylie is soon going to hold the rights to the album?
If that is true, sadly I don't think she'd put out any unreleased material. I feel like the only reason we've had what we had is because she didn't have ownership of the rights.