Kylie Minogue

he / him
People were sick of the concept of Kylie in 1997. I don't think changing the order or selection of the singles would've changed much.
Pardon my ignorance, but what was there to be sick of? Hadn't Kylie been essentially MIA for about two years prior to the release of Impossible Princess? I don't know if a two year gap felt longer or shorter in a pre-internet era, but it definitely doesn't sound like a case of oversaturation.

Pardon my ignorance, but what was there to be sick of? Hadn't Kylie been essentially MIA for about two years prior to the release of Impossible Princess? I don't know if a two year gap felt longer or shorter in a pre-internet era, but it definitely doesn't sound like a case of oversaturation.

Changes of the musical soundscape and ignorance tbh. Kylie trying to be a one woman Republica didn't really wash with anybody. Trying to appeal to yer NME crowd while yer Smash Hits crowd were an afterthought? Both crowds say "nah".

I (unintentionally) wandered down Say Hey (...) recently, the people on that forum despised Paper Dolls and Ocean Blue. Fuckin' weirdos.

The worst thing you could say about "Paper Dolls" is that its lyrical earnestness could be a bit too saccharine for your taste, but despise it? Not in this house. It's sublime, an insanely good love song that just describes the early heady days of romance without trying to complicate itself or elevate itself into metaphors and double-meanings.

I'd have much preferred if this had been a second recording, rather than just "Paper Dolls" with the electric guitar and percussion multi-tracks turned off.

Last edited:
The worst thing you could say about "Paper Dolls" is that its lyrical earnestness could be a bit too saccharine for your taste, but despise it? Not in this house. It's sublime, an insanely good love song that just describes the early heady days of romance without trying to complicate itself or elevate itself into metaphors and double-meanings.

Oh absolutely. I was in the early heady days of a romance at the time and it totally made sense to me. It was an absolute moment at the Anti tour. I may have shed a tear at a long lost love that night.

Okay but can you release the 2 unreleased songs please Steve

I kinda love and hate this, I love when producers let us know about unreleased songs, I love to know they are real and not just fan fictions, but I hate when they keep teasing us with unrelased tracks and don't release them.
I think we all would be really happy to have them all in the best quality, the Anti Tour was the perfect opportunity to do it and they didn't.

Ocean Blue is completely stunning. One of my favourite Kylie songs if I'm honest. Wish it was on streaming!

SO much of her catalogue is missing from Spotify (at least in NZ anyway). There are many others that are mislabeled. It's so frustrating that someone of Kylie's stature has so much missing from streaming platforms. It's one of the main reasons I haven't embraced streaming fully yet.

I remember I bought Impossible Princess on release day after school with a few friends. We were all 12/13. When I picked the album up and went to pay, literally every single one of my friends I was with was like “why are you buying this?”. I can’t help but feel that was the attitude of the British public at the time for Kylie in 1997. She was out of fashion. Ears and eyes were on other acts. Yet she did have a loyal enough fan base that got her into the charts before she’d plummet after.

Also, what a stupid thing to say - “why are you buying this?” Obviously because I like it!

Surely it wouldn't be that much effort from Parlophone to chuck out a definitive B-Sides playlist/album? So many of her best songs from that era were B-Sides that you can't stream. It's a crime to her legacy! Isn't it just a matter of pressing a button for them?

I kinda love and hate this, I love when producers let us know about unreleased songs, I love to know they are real and not just fan fictions, but I hate when they keep teasing us with unrelased tracks and don't release them.
I think we all would be really happy to have them all in the best quality, the Anti Tour was the perfect opportunity to do it and they didn't.

Especially as 'You're The One' was performed on that bloody tour!